Driving to port question

Sorry for probably repeat question but 58 pages is a LOT to sift through. If I am driving I-78 east to port from Ohio, what is the best way into port from 78? If I were to want to stay an hour or two west of port the night before as I drive in, what would be a good area/ town to consider? Thanks.

if you are going to bayonne, Just take I-78 east, follow the signs for the Holland Tunnel and get off at exit 14a (rte. 440, Bayonne). when you get off, go straight and follow Avenue E to East 32nd street and make a left, then make the first left onto Prospect Avenue and follow that to the port. as far as hotels, there are several in the bridgewater and somerset areas right off the highway and i'd say from there you would be about an hour from the port if not a little less. If, however you are going to the Manhattan port, follow the same directions, except do not get off in bayonne, continue to follow the signs to the holland tunnel. upon exiting the tunnel stay right and take exit 1 (west street, rte. 9a). go straight (Laight Street) to the river and turn right (west street). follow (staying middle-left to avoid forkoffs for 10th and 11th avenues) to the port.

Thanks all. And, sorry, I am going to Bayonne. :o I asked on another thread, if I go the way suggested here do I have to worry about traffic from Ironman events at Pier 92 (or wherever they are)?

Pier 92 is Manhattan the third finger of the three piers (88/90/92) used for Cruise Ships, I believe you said you are sailing from New Jersey, you won't even see Pier 92.

Pier 92 is Manhattan the third finger of the three piers (88/90/92) used for Cruise Ships, I believe you said you are sailing from New Jersey, you won't even see Pier 92.

Thank you. I had NO idea of any of the relationships of ports or interstates. Only knew that they were all in "general" vicinity. So wasn't sure how traffic might be effected.

Archived