Help!

So, 4 of my friends and I will be in Progresso on May16, and we are trying to figure out what we will do.

We are all (well, will be) recent college graduates, so we are looking to have a good time, all the while, trying to stay slightly on budget (like, less than 50$ if possible).

Anyone have any ideas? All-Inclusive beach packages?

Ive looked at the corona beach break offered through carnival, but it just seems sorta expensive for what it is and isn't that well reviewed.

Just trying to get any insight.

Thanks!

Don't do the Corona beach break as it is a dud , and right by the pier..You can do pretty well on your own , as far as going to somewhere like Buddy's and hanging out by the beach and having some cool ones. If you have not been there , do not expect beautiful water like Cozumel....Most of the ship excursions other than Corona are more than $50 PP..

dxg1u0.jpg

Just got off Elation yesterday so we made a stop in Progreso. Got off the ship about an hour after docking and did the double decker bus tour. $3 for 20 minutes and they give you a little commentary. Apparently it's not so much a city tour any longer as the friends we were with had done it in the past. After that we ended up getting a table in front of Buddy's and spent a few hours just drinking/eating and watching the waves. Not the greatest beach but there were people swimming. Three people in our group also did massages ($15 each but they weren't quite the hour they said they would get).

It was a relaxing time but I will say the vendors do get a little annoying. They moved on from our "no thank you" but they were a constant and some even stopped by more than once.

You can definitely get away with less than $50pp doing the above!

Just got off Elation yesterday so we made a stop in Progreso. Got off the ship about an hour after docking and did the double decker bus tour. $3 for 20 minutes and they give you a little commentary. Apparently it's not so much a city tour any longer as the friends we were with had done it in the past. After that we ended up getting a table in front of Buddy's and spent a few hours just drinking/eating and watching the waves. Not the greatest beach but there were people swimming. Three people in our group also did massages ($15 each but they weren't quite the hour they said they would get).

It was a relaxing time but I will say the vendors do get a little annoying. They moved on from our "no thank you" but they were a constant and some even stopped by more than once.

You can definitely get away with less than $50pp doing the above!

Do you still catch the DD bus near where the shuttle from the pier lets you off? That's how we've always done it but I read somewhere that they were now unloading the shuttle in a parking lot several blocks away.

Do you still catch the DD bus near where the shuttle from the pier lets you off? That's how we've always done it but I read somewhere that they were now unloading the shuttle in a parking lot several blocks away.

Yep, shuttle drop off and the bus were in the same parking lot. However, we first had to sit through a sales pitch for tours before they would let us off. It was a little annoying.

Progresso is great! We were there for the first time in January, I had no idea what to expect but we had a great time. Take the double decker buss tour the first stop will get you $1 Coronas. The malecon in Progresso has several shops and restaurants and they will serve you right on the beach. This is also a great place to get a massage under a palm tree for $15-$20. Progresso is very different from most ports but all in all a great day I’m sure you will enjoy.

IMG_5684.jpg.9f1a55b3d40c7c5648d9bdf76cf6152f.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg.128e9ee982227b9076263a0329b47cf7.jpg

IMG_5665.jpg.b286d8f42fcde719182011c03adf2e83.jpg

When we were there this month, the place to catch the DD bus had moved recently. It was located in the back of the "Bazar De Artesanias" (a market in town, with a bright yellow arched front, not sure what street). Can't remember the story of why they had to move there.

And after the bus tour, go to Buddy's and other places that look fun!!! They have alot of aggresive vendors in Progresso. You'll say "No thanks" or "Gracias No" alot. I really enjoyed Progresso and wouldn't hesitate to go back there again... :)

So, 4 of my friends and I will be in Progresso on May16, and we are trying to figure out what we will do.

We are all (well, will be) recent college graduates, so we are looking to have a good time, all the while, trying to stay slightly on budget (like, less than 50$ if possible).

Anyone have any ideas? All-Inclusive beach packages?

Ive looked at the corona beach break offered through carnival, but it just seems sorta expensive for what it is and isn't that well reviewed.

Just trying to get any insight.

Thanks!

We're on the same cruise as you

Not sure what you are looking for in particular, but AutoProgreso has excursions to Mayan ruins priced from $29-$49. They also have an AI at the Reef Club for $45.

We're on the same cruise as you

Not sure what you are looking for in particular, but AutoProgreso has excursions to Mayan ruins priced from $29-$49. They also have an AI at the Reef Club for $45.

We have done the AP tour to Dxib ruins 3 times and not been disappointed. This month we are doing the AI to the Reef Club and Xcambo ruins for the first time.

• 2 months later...

Be aware that the shuttles now drop off cruise ship passengers at TWO markets set up to relieve you of your money. They are about 2 blocks apart but good to know if you are meeting up with independent tour companies in Progreso. The shuttles take turns dropping off people at either stop.

Progreso is a neat place with plenty to see and do, but if you want to get away from the crowds and still party within your budget look up AutoProgreso. They have a resort tour that is pretty nice. Gorgeous pool, lots of beach, food, and an open bar. It was $35 @ when we were there a few years ago.

Archived