Coffee makers on board (in cabin)?

I've heard people mention that they are bringing or have brought a coffee maker on board to use in their cabins. But, this may be stupid but, where do they get the coffee to put in it? Do they have to bring it themselves?

Not a joke for some people. Many have written that they've taken their small coffee makers (and coffee; yes, you have to bring your own) onboard because they dislike the coffee that is served on the ship. We're fine with the coffee, but I will admit to bringing a small water heating pot to make tea in the cabin. I just don't want to trudge down to Windjammer or order hot water from room service whenever I want a cup of herbal or green tea.

beachchick

Guest cruzr44
I've heard people mention that they are bringing or have brought a coffee maker on board to use in their cabins. But, this may be stupid but, where do they get the coffee to put in it? Do they have to bring it themselves?

Bring your own coffee and maker, but it is so much easier to order room service and have the coffee AND breakfast brought right to you and then sit on your balcony and enjoy your morning. Don't forget the $1-2 tip.

No joke here, our friends brought a blender and mixers.

I am one of those who brings a small coffee pot and coffee. The coffee served in the buffet and at the coffee stations is AWFUL. The coffee in the dining room is usually fine but the dining room is not open at 5:30 am. I know that I'm a coffee snob but I can't help it.

I am a coffee fanatic and will be bringing a small coffee maker on my cruise this fall. I got one at Big Lots for $9.00. The coffee on the ships is the worst I have ever tasted. I will also make some tea in it.

I probably won't bring a coffe maker, but would consider it. I don't have a problem with the coffe onboard, but I love a cup of coffee when I get up!! Would be nice not to have get dressed and go to the windjammer or wait on room service. Could order the night before, but I often wake up earlier than I think I will and I want my coffee NOW;) !!

We took a cruise last December that had pots and instant coffee and tea in balcony units. Small fridge had creamers too. We really enjoyed waking up and having our coffee. We are early risers but don't want to eat for at least an hour. Some people place orders for coffee and breakfast from room service the night before, but I didn't want to have them wake me up if I was sleeping. I wish all cabins had simple little coffee makers. Until they do, I will bring my own if there isn't one onboard.

I agree. Coffee on most ships is way too strong for me. If there is no coffee pot in unit, I will bring my own for my favorite tea and coffee. Wish they served Dunkin Donuts instead of Seattle's Best.

I am one of those who brings a small coffee pot and coffee. The coffee served in the buffet and at the coffee stations is AWFUL. The coffee in the dining room is usually fine but the dining room is not open at 5:30 am. I know that I'm a coffee snob but I can't help it.

If you are on a ship with a concierge lounge and have access to it. It is the best coffee on the ship that comes from the machine in there. It´s the best thing to go there for a cup of coffee to take back to the room , especially when your room is right next to the lounge.

Don't you think that the cheap coffeepots everyone is bringing onboard really constitutes a major fire hazard?! My bestfriend had to climb out the window of her apt. when her coffeepot caught on fire and it was one of the good ones. Not to mention the danger of spilled hot liquids during the rough seas we experienced on our way back into port. People talk about no candles or irons, coffeepots are just as big a danger IMO.

Don't you think that the cheap coffeepots everyone is bringing onboard really constitutes a major fire hazard?! My bestfriend had to climb out the window of her apt. when her coffeepot caught on fire and it was one of the good ones. Not to mention the danger of spilled hot liquids during the rough seas we experienced on our way back into port. People talk about no candles or irons, coffeepots are just as big a danger IMO.

I agree. Given the heat produced and the close quarters, it can definitely be a hazzard, especially the ones cheaply produced in China, Malaysia, etc..

I can only answer for myself here. My hot water pot shuts off automatically when the water boils. Also, I unplug it immediately. As far as spilling hot liquids in rough seas, well, then we'd have to have no hot liquids available anywhere on the ship for the same reason.

beachchick

I can only answer for myself here. My hot water pot shuts off automatically when the water boils. Also, I unplug it immediately. As far as spilling hot liquids in rough seas, well, then we'd have to have no hot liquids available anywhere on the ship for the same reason.

beachchick

That's what I was thinking.;)

Is there a rule you can't bring along a travel iron? How about a hair curling iron? Lots of people bring these, but is it against a rule?

Anyways, my many times cruised friends sometimes pick up a used coffee pot at Salvation Army (sterilize it of course!) then put it in the trash at the end of their cruise so they don't have to lug it back home in luggage again. I thought that was a brilliant idea, but the new 4 cup ones aren't much more than $10.

We've had different experiences with coffee on each ship and usually find different tasting coffee in each of their areas as well. I remember the Navigator public rooms had HORRIBLE coffee but they had a free coffee bar in the Promenade that had great strong Seattles Best.

The Majesty's coffee all over was pretty good, and I'm very picky about my coffee. On the Enchantment I could barely call it coffee, I had to buy their speciality coffee some mornings just to wake up and really enjoy it.

So, I think it varies, and I think I'm a coffee nut and would consider taking a coffee pot along if I've read the coffee is bad on a particular ship.

On our cruise that had coffee makers in the unit, it was a metal pot that automatically shut off after water boiled. We used instant coffee and tea. No fire danger. Real cream in the small fridge was a nice touch too. Wish every ship had one.

I took my own coffee maker on our last 2 cruises and will never go without it again. I bought one of the stainles steel carafe small 4-pot coffee makers with automatic shutoff, just like they have in hotel rooms. I buy the hotel packaged coffee filter packs - which couldn't be easier or less mess. Since I love a little hazelnut in my coffee, I was even happier to find hazelnut non-dairy individual creamers that do not need refrigeration. I take this not only because I am too picky about my coffee, but I also do not like to either wait for room service to bring my coffee when I wake up or to have to wake up for room service if I put the request out the night before. :)

serious question...........do people really think that there is no fire danger just because there is an auto shut off on their appliance? after reading posts here and under the iron threads, I'm beginning to understand that most have no idea why these appliances are a fire hazard

I took a cheap ($10) 4 cup coffee maker with us on the Serenade a few weeks ago with no problems. It never occurred to me that it was a safety hazard. It was left out in plain site. I had grabbed several half & half pkgs from the Windjammer and put them in our ice bucket. The cabin steward never said anything about it being prohibited and put the half & half back in the bucket each day when he filled it with ice. If coffee makers were prohibited, it would be in the list of prohibited items.

It was extremely convenient with the coffee maker in the room. I need coffee immediately upon waking and didn't want to wait for room service. I just left it at the end of the cruise for the cabin steward and used the extra room in my suitcase for some of the stuff I had bought.

I just left it at the end of the cruise for the cabin steward .......

LOL, I wonder how many of the stewards have coffee pots .....kind of funny really....I wonder if they say, oh no, not another coffee pot :rolleyes: .....LOL......:D

Archived