QM2 First Transatlantic - Impressions

iceman666

My wife and I did the 16 April Transatlantic. This was our first ever time on any crusie ship/liner so little to compare but here goes.

QM2 had arrived Southampton earlier on 16th just behind QE2 who was completing her World Tour. As instructed by Cunard we arrived for check-in at the Mayflower Terminal on time and there was a scrum of people queued to outside the building. We quickly discovered that there were over 500 passengers transferring from QE2 to travel on to the USA and most had just arrived in a fleet of buses. So much for a sedate check-in for grill passengers !! There were no porters to take our bags from us and we had to ask where to leave them which turned out to be with a great pile of other cases a short distance from the departure hall.

Despite the multitude of people we got our room key card, had photos taken and so on with surprising ease and, after passing through security arrived in the Departure Lounge where we sat for about 30 minutes until the ship was ready to receive passengers.

Climbing up the steep gangway, being greeted and directed to an elevator seemed rather impersonal and arriving on deck 10 we just had to find our own way to our P1 suite. BUT on opening the door to 10014 we just knew that this was going to be a trip of a lifetime.

The P1 suites are wonderful. The decor is truly calming with the light oak woodwork, soft greens, golds and creams of the decor and the wonderfully comfortable king size bed. Storage was well provided for with two large suitcases being emptied and able to be stored in the walk in wardrobe. There were ample numbers of hangars with hooks (much better than many expensive hotels). The bathroom was very well stocked, the shower was powerful. The in room safe was easy to use. The TV was large and after mastering the system we found that it gave very good reception of live TV right across the Atlantic (but not all channels). The interactive map was an added bonus.

Our Steward, Roger, introduced himself and during the crossing we found that he was a true star. Nothing was too much trouble and if he was not going to be on duty when we wanted something he went out of his way to make certain it still happened. We only used Room Service twice and the items appeared very quickly.

Our introduction to the Princess Grill came soon after boarding as we needed lunch. We got our hoped for table for two but not, sadly, by the window. However, we didn't mind as we were near the entrance and soon got greeting and chatting to others as they entered or left the dining room. The food and service throughout the trip was exceptional. Flavours and textures matched brilliantly, quantities were correct and the presentation was always worth a picture. Our wait staff were very good. They were always there when we wanted them but not pushing to clear plates or push the meal forward except at our pace. The sommelier was very knowledgable and was clearly not trying to push the expensive wines when advice was sought. We found we could joke and laugh with them and when my wife felt sea sick our waitress produced some stugeron for her. We didn't eat anything 'off menu' but did hear from others that nothing seemed to faze the staff.

We were invited to 3 receptions/cocktail parties and even got an invitation to the Captain's Table. The quality of that latter experience really depends upon who one is sitting beside as there are 12 + the Captain. Luckily we had good companions and the food was the same standard as in Princess Grill. Wait staff did not appear as proficient but it didn't spoil the evening.

The ship is vast. But just like when staying at a large hotel complex for the first time, the art is to explore and we did just that. Getting lost, asking for directions, studying the deck plan and finding places you didn't know existed was all part of the fun. I finally discovered the Atlantic Room on the last day. It was completely empty. There were some frustrating moments particularly around the area of Illuminations when rushing to the planetarium show and finding you are on the wrong deck !

We saw all three planetarium shows and all were very impressive. However, why Cunard have so many reclining seats that do not work after only one year is beyond belief. Don't they have staff onboard who can fix them when broken ?

The RADA team of actors were superb when doing their "Shakespeare's Lovers" scenes. Sadly there were not many people in the audience.

The Royal Court Theatre could have been in the West End with comfortable seats (maybe too comfortable after a good meal) and the shows we saw were excellent.

There was so much to do during the day that the "daily programme" was essential so that nothing was missed.

Others have raved about the Queens Room - wow !!! We saw it empty and then later that night went to a packed reception followed by a Big Band Night. It is simply stunning.

The library is very good. Ask for the Cruise Critic Log - they keep it under the counter.

The Consierge Lounge is not a place to tarry but the staff were always friendly and helpful with coffee/tea and biscuits on hand.

We had numerous photos taken by the ship's photographers. There is no pressure to purchase so we kept going til we found a shot we really liked.

Queens Grill Lounge is definitely open to Princess Grill passengers and although maybe a little stuffy round the edges it was nice to go to for afternoon tea and for post dinner coffee. My wife assures me that the tea, including herbal, was always served just right.

The Commodore Club is comfortable but we got confused by the way they charged for coffee and the grill lounge didn't ! Come on Cunard let's have some consistency.

We didn't need to eat in Todd English as the food was so good in Princess Grill but we looked in and it seemed very plush.

Our suite was towards the bow and the Princess Grill is to the stern. This meant going to eat resulted in either going all the way down to Stairway D on our deck along an interminable passageway or taking an earlier stairway and braving what could only be described as a scrum in the Kings Court at breakfast and lunch times. Cunard should work out the privacy arrangements for diners in Kings Court.

The launderette on our deck was efficient but the irons could be much better.

The absolute highlight of the trip was departing Southampton with QE2. Standing beneath the bridge and passing QE2 with both ships blasting their horns was an incredible experience. But arriving in New York at dawn and seeing the Narrows Bridge, the Statue and the skyline while being buzzed by a helicopter and security boats was just amazing after 5 days at sea with no other ships to be seen. The only down side to the trip was the man overboard incident discussed elsewhere.

We self disembarked and it was quick and easy but anybody thinking about it must be at least able if not fit !! The only problem was the line for taxis.

Overall this was the trip of a lifetime. Yes it was expensive but we believe it was worth every penny. Criticisms are minor and were overshadowed by the positive experience. We are now half way across the USA on a six week trip. People ask how we got here and when we tell them they just want to know all about the ship and we can't wait to tell them everything !!

I'm sure I must have missed reporting on lots of things so if anybody has questions just fire away.

We may never cruise or do another transatlantic but this experience on QM2 has been just incredible.

Andrew and Pat Frost

What a good review. Thanks for taking the time to post and I'm glad you had such a great time.

I took my first cruise on the QM2 on the cruise just before yours. Reading your thoughts just brings it all back to me (yes we got lost trying to find the planetarium too!). It really was trip of a lifetime stuff.

Well done Cunard !!

Glad you remembered to sign the log book and had a great cruise. You picked the best ship.

We have never done transatlantic..if we ever do it will be on the QM2..Are they still selling the big prints of the QM2 at the art auction? I really enjoy mine everyday in the family room and bring back all the good memories of the maiden Caribbean cruise last year.

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. From what I read the QM2 seems to be getting better and better as time passes. This just makes August seem too far away!! I can't wait ...

Andrew:

Excellent review! It was great to meet you and Pat onboard and I hope you're enjoying yourselves on your extended holiday in the USA and Canada. I have yet to compose and post my own review, but in general I completely agree with your assessments and the whole experience was wonderful for us. We were extremely well taken care of in the Queens Grill and we felt thoroughly pampered by our suite and the overall service onboard.

I hope you'll give us a call when you pass through Minnesota. If you have a chance, please let me know the dates you'll be in the state as I don't seem to have written it down.

Charles

Archived