Ever Upgraded Ocean View to Veranda

Cruise Arizona

First I would never book a cabin with the expectation that I would be upgraded, but we were lucky enough on our very first cruise with the kids on the Infinity to get upgraded from an Ocean View to a Veranda. There are a good number of Ocean Views on that class of ship.

We are looking at the Silhouette next spring and debating between the smaller and cheaper Ocean view at 177 sq ft, vs a veranda with 195 sq ft.

Because there would be 4 of us in the room, it sure would be nice to have that extra square footage, but because we want to do two cruises btb the difference in price comes to over $1600. That would cover a lot of drinks, extras and excursions.

We did do 4 people in the veranda on the Infinity at 170 sq ft. It was a fabulous cruise, but we joked that the room was so small we had to go outside just to change our minds. We are a close family so we'd kind of look at it like "camping" for the night with a wonderful ship to utilize during the waking hours.

We have a plan for dealing with the smaller rooms that includes me and my daughter having one shift for getting dressed and ready for dinner and then guys having another shift. We simply wouldn't use the room much if we stayed in that room. I even thought about doing an inside cabin for more space because they are 185-200 sq ft, but so far DH doesn't care to give up at least a window.

Also, if you have any tips for how these rooms work for 4 that would be great too.

So if we to do an ocean view on deck three for four people during spring break do you think that because there are so few of these rooms that we might get lucky and get an upgrade? We know it would probably be a dice roll, but are there any factors that might make this more of a possibility under this scenario than others.

First I would never book a cabin with the expectation that I would be upgraded, but we were lucky enough on our very first cruise with the kids on the Infinity to get upgraded from an Ocean View to a Veranda. There are a good number of Ocean Views on that class of ship.

We are looking at the Silhouette next spring and debating between the smaller and cheaper Ocean view at 177 sq ft, vs a veranda with 195 sq ft.

Because there would be 4 of us in the room, it sure would be nice to have that extra square footage, but because we want to do two cruises btb the difference in price comes to over $1600. That would cover a lot of drinks, extras and excursions.

We did do 4 people in the veranda on the Infinity at 170 sq ft. It was a fabulous cruise, but we joked that the room was so small we had to go outside just to change our minds. We are a close family so we'd kind of look at it like "camping" for the night with a wonderful ship to utilize during the waking hours.

We have a plan for dealing with the smaller rooms that includes me and my daughter having one shift for getting dressed and ready for dinner and then guys having another shift. We simply wouldn't use the room much if we stayed in that room. I even thought about doing an inside cabin for more space because they are 185-200 sq ft, but so far DH doesn't care to give up at least a window.

Also, if you have any tips for how these rooms work for 4 that would be great too.

So if we to do an ocean view on deck three for four people during spring break do you think that because there are so few of these rooms that we might get lucky and get an upgrade? We know it would probably be a dice roll, but are there any factors that might make this more of a possibility under this scenario than others.

How old are the kids? If you could swing it cost wise, maybe looking into an interior and a second cabin with a view (OV or Balcony) to divide up the crowd a bit.

You want to do back-to-backs with 4 in an ov room? How old the kids are is an issue re privacy, yours and theirs.

For sure I'd go with the veranda for the extra space. Easier to keep the family together when you all can spread out and have "time away", without leaving the room to roam the ship.

BTW, Getting ready, your dh and son could head to the workout room and use showers and dress there.

Spring break upgrades???? :eek: THe ships are pretty well full. The thought shouldn't even enter your mind.;)

How old are the kids? If you could swing it cost wise, maybe looking into an interior and a second cabin with a view (OV or Balcony) to divide up the crowd a bit.

The cost of an ocean view and inside is enough that it would not make much sense to do that, we'd probably get a single varanda view for just a little more and my DH would get his coveted veranda. Kids are a boy and a girl and that would mean I would be in the inside cabin with the girl and DH in the outiside cabin with the boy. Sounds crazy but I'd rather us all be together.

Spring Break, ... only a few ocean views that accommodate 4. Would they cut off bookings for those rooms once they are gone? Or over book them and upgrade early bookers? That was what I was wondering .. which one would Celebrity do? Probably the former? But have you ever heard of the latter?

As for 7001 or 7000, those rooms don't have a square or a triangle in them. They also don't come up as options when I try to book. Am I missing something? Would my agent need to call about these rooms?

Your problem is that families book the rooms for 4 for spring break/Christmas cruises really early to make sure they get one. Posters here announce when cabin availibility opens for new seasons, so within a week the family suites are all gone.

Now add that the mega online agencies buy and block out rooms for their potential clients. If they are vacant at final payment date, they offer them to their last minute clients at that nice group rate. They don't go back to Celebrity. ( our agent always hunts for those stray group rate rooms for us ) Who are you booking with? You might, if you aren't already, try calling a couple of the HUGE online agencies and see if they have any ov rooms in their inventory. If not, they might have a group rate verandah room for you. You can hope! Good luck!

BTW, Getting ready, your dh and son could head to the workout room and use showers and dress there.

I do this on every cruise. The showers are much, much nicer.

Grab 7159 if it's available. It's a non-Aqua-class with a large balcony that accommodates 4. There is an upper berth and the couch becomes the lower berth by putting the mattress on top of the couch. It makes the room so much easier than the equivalent rooms on M class.

Archived