"deadliest catch" crab boat tour - Ketchikan

lily23star

I booked this excursion too, immediately after booking the cruise! I also love the DC show and informed my daughter when we started talking about cruising to Alaska, that if we are there, we definitely will be taking this excursion in Ketchikan, so be prepared! :p

Hope to meet Captain Derrick too.

We will be on the July 20 celebrity Millenium doing inside passage South Bound, leaving at Seward. We are also wanting to do the Aleut Ball charter but it looks like the ship gets in port at 9 and the tour leaves at 9:30. Wonder if any one had had that problem and if it was worked out. We are going to call them Mon to see if we can work something out. My daughters family has done this twice and said its worth every penney.

Chances are good that your cruise line will offer this very popular excursion.

If your timing in Ketchikan is short, booking with the cruise line may be a little more money but your best option timewise.

That way you're covered if you don't get to port in time -- at the beginning OR (even more importantly) at the end of the tour!

• 3 weeks later...

I just came back and loved the tour. The staff were so very friendly!! I booked it online and not through the cruiseline. Took lots of pics. When they feed the bald eagles it made for some great photo ops!!!

• 1 month later...

For everyone who's been, was the tour crowded? Would it be possible for me to get tickets once we dock, or do they often sell out?

Ketchikan's weather is so iffy and we are on a B2B in 2 weeks. Almost $700 for our family to participate. Still not a guarantee I know, but if the weather's nasty on our way out, I'd take my chances to tour on our way back.

For everyone who's been, was the tour crowded? Would it be possible for me to get tickets once we dock, or do they often sell out?

Ketchikan's weather is so iffy and we are on a B2B in 2 weeks. Almost $700 for our family to participate. Still not a guarantee I know, but if the weather's nasty on our way out, I'd take my chances to tour on our way back.

This is a very popular excursion, so I won't count on being able to book it at the port. We made our reservations once we booked our cruise. If you're concerned about weather the viewing area is covered, they have heaters, and there are blankets available. The tour takes place in protected waters, so even the sea-sick prone people in our group had no problems.

This is the most popular excursion in Ketchikan..

I was actually choosing between this or the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast for sept and ended up booking the latter after doing heavy research and reading this forum.

Objectively, the bottom line here is if you are a DC fan, then go for it as it adds a lot of value for fans of the show to be actually in the ship that was in it.

But for those who are not a DC fan, the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast has more value. not only it is cheaper but it also comes with unlimited crab feast at the lodge.

Both excursion offers beautiful scenery and tells something about crab catching life, the only difference here is the one has a "celebrity" element and the other has a "food" element..

So it depends really if you are a fan or not or what you are looking for.. but of course, I would have chosen the DC if it includes an Alaskan King Crab plate lunch at the end of the show...or you will be in the rough water to experience exactly how it is rather in a calm controlled tourist environment.

Great picture --- how did you attach the file so it printed out in your post?

Karen

Thanks

I Just copy and pasted from tinypic.com and put it in the middle of the original quotes.

We are booked for the end of August - first thing I did after booking the cruise - can't wait.

A few questions - looks like there are 2 levels - which level is best to sit on? Do you get a tour of the boat - the sleeping area, kitchen, wheel house or is it just on deck?

Thanks

Smitty

Similarly, do you get to pick where you sit or is it first come first served?

Just booked our reservations online for when we visit in two weeks. :)

Edit: just called them and she said it's "open seating". So yes, pushiest to the front. Hopefully folks will be mindful of children and not relegate them to the back of the lower level. :(

ps. LOVED the pic. Thanks so much!

Similarly, do you get to pick where you sit or is it first come first served?

When you come aboard the vessel you can sit in any open seat. If you think you might get cold, look for a seat that is near an overhead heater. Stadium-type jackets that can be used as coats/blankets will also be passed out if you need one.

Karen

I went on the excursion when I was in Ketchikan early last month. I was quite unhappy with the majority of the time spent. I couldn't believe how hokey and canned it was. The only portion of the trip was feeding the eagles. I realize I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't recommend this excursion to anyone.

I went on the excursion when I was in Ketchikan early last month. I was quite unhappy with the majority of the time spent. I couldn't believe how hokey and canned it was. The only portion of the trip was feeding the eagles. I realize I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't recommend this excursion to anyone.

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the excursion and respect the fact that you were disappointed. May I ask what motivated you to book this tour in the first place --- just curious.

I have been on this tour 3 times and each experience has been different --- different crew members and different life experiences talked about. I didn't find anything "hokey" about the presentation as it wasn't actors role playing --- it was merely real crew members sharing crab catching experiences and re-creating procedures that are used to catch the crab. I never realized how dangerous their job could be until I saw the show and listened to the stories. Sure there was some light-hearted humor in places but that's to be expected in any tour.

Again, sorry you did not enjoy yourself --- glad that you did get to see the beautiful eagles soaring about.

Karen

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the excursion and respect the fact that you were disappointed. May I ask what motivated you to book this tour in the first place --- just curious.

Again, sorry you did not enjoy yourself --- glad that you did get to see the beautiful eagles soaring about.

Karen

I booked the excursion based upon the recommendations of folks on here, plus my liking the TV show. I realize that it's "different strokes for different folks".

You can purchase tickets on the dock as well. My experience is they sell out on very heavy cruise ship days but almost always have a couple seats available. You can purchase tickets inside the "Tour Center" located beside the Sockeye Sams gift store at berth #3 or also inside the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau at berth #2.

You can purchase tickets on the dock as well. My experience is they sell out on very heavy cruise ship days but almost always have a couple seats available. You can purchase tickets inside the "Tour Center" located beside the Sockeye Sams gift store at berth #3 or also inside the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau at berth #2.

rditton, Thanks for the info on Aleution Ballard. We are looking forward to going in September this year. After the tour I am interested in looking for sea glass down at the Rotary Beach area. Do you know if many have luck finding glass? Just another notch off my wish list...

Archived