Cruise Excursions on the same day

Tink1987

Hi All,

Thinking of booking two cruise excursions in the port of Olden on our Fjords cruise.

I can't choose between two certain excursions so would like to do both. The first one ends at 12:30pm and the other one starts at 13:00.

Is this too little of a time gap to get from one meeting place to the other?

Thanks all :-)

I've never done it, but the tours are designed to be mix and match so theoretically it ought to be fine. The meeting point is always the coaches outside the ship - it will tell you the coach number in the Horizon newsletter which gets put outside your cabin every night - so you ought to be able to get off one coach and on to another. i'm guessing if the morning tour were back late they ought to refund you the cost of the afternoon one as it would be beyond your control but I can't say that for definite.

Agree its a bit tight, you only need someone late back to coach on first trip and a bit of traffic and you will be late and miss 2nd.

What trips are you looking at?. When in Olden last we did the little tourist train from outside the ship all around Olden lake and town, that was lovely, after breakfast. went back onboard and had a salad, then did Briksdal glacier P&O tour in afternoon... which was frankly the best port day I have every had in all my cruises. loved the scenery, loved the glacier trip.

In three weeks time I am going again to the Fjords, and this time at Olden I am doing 'Kjenndalen Glacier and a boat trip on Lovatnet Lake.' FROM 1-5.15pm... this allows a leisurley breakfast and a stroll around Olden town again before the tour.

P9020139.jpg

the Olden little train was approx £15pp when we did it, probably a little more now, but Norway is VERY expensive whatever you do, and its a case of, 'we are here now lets do it!' Penny pinching not a option or your miss the wonderful scenery lol.

view from the train, is there much better?

P9020134.jpg

I have done two half-day excursions in the past but I do think ½ hour is a bit tight. They like you to allow an hour really, in case you are late back from the first due to traffic etc. You can of course risk it and hope as the likelhood of traffic problems are remote in Olden, but you would lose the cost of the second if you didn't make it. Alternatively - wait until you are on board and see what the tour manager thinks?

Thanks very much, as always for all of the advice.

Don't think we will risk it and keep with the Briksdal glacier tour as I have read nothing but great reviews about it! Think we would regret not doing it.

That little train looks fantastic Libra, did you just get off the ship and do it on your own merit? It wasn't arranged through P&O?

Kjenndalen Glacier and a boat trip on Lovatnet Lake is actually one of the other trips we wanted to do while in Olden! There is another nice boat one as well which takes you to see all of the waterfalls but thats an all dayer.... :-(

Really wish we were in Olden for 2 whole days ;-)

I agree that the Briksdal Glacier is a great tour and you will have time to explore Olden in the afternoon. Don't forget to wear good shoes (I saw some people try the climb in flipflops !!) and take something waterproof for any cameras etc for when you pass by the falls on the way up.

263%2520Briksdal%2520Glacier.JPG

258%2520From%2520path%2520to%2520Briksdal%2520Glacier.JPG

I agree that the Briksdal Glacier is a great tour and you will have time to explore Olden in the afternoon. Don't forget to wear good shoes (I saw some people try the climb in flipflops !!) and take something waterproof for any cameras etc for when you pass by the falls on the way up.

263%2520Briksdal%2520Glacier.JPG

258%2520From%2520path%2520to%2520Briksdal%2520Glacier.JPG

Those two photos have convinced me that I have picked the right excursion :D

Yep briksdal in afternoon, land train in morning, get off ship after breakfast and take the train from outside the ships berth for the ride into Olden town and all around the lake, you can get off at town on way back and look at a few shops, hop back on the next train, or walk back to ship.

The other glacier trip and lake would be too similar really i expect to briksdal so sounds like you have got it right just doing one glacier trip that day...

we are doing the other glacier and lake trip as ofcourse we've already 'done' briksdal... on the last fjords cruise

Archived