LA -> CHI -> BOS -> Cape Liberty

jlkc

Hi,

I've been reading lots of posts about recommended hotels in the Newark area, but weren't sure what to do in our situation. We (my husband and I who are in our early 50's) are planning on flying from LA->Chicago on 9/15/12 and touring Chicago for a couple days. Then on 9/18, we plan to fly from Chicago->Boston and visit Boston for another couple days. Then on 9/20, we plan to take an evening bus from Boston to get to Newark/NYC and then spend the night somewhere before going to Cape Liberty on 9/21 to embark on our cruise. I am thinking of using BoltBus since they have a stop at Newark Penn Station (arrives around 10pm?), but from there, I'm not certain what to do. The 4* Hotwire hotels in Jersey City sound really nice, but not sure if we will really have time to enjoy them. So should we just use the Country Inn/Suites or Fairfield in Elizabeth? Or should we just use the Hilton Penn Station? Don't need dinner, but would need breakfast. We would like to keep the rate to around $125 and have convenient transportation from Newark Penn Station to the hotel since we'll have luggage. From the hotel, I think we'll try to use Independent Driver to the port the next day. Anyways, any suggestions on our hotels/itinerary in each location would be welcome. I know we're doing a lot before our cruise departs, but I think we'll be able to relax during our New England cruise. TIA!

Being dropped off on the street at the bus station adjacent to Newark Penn Station at 10pm with luggage in tow is not my idea of a good time. Assuming the hotel meets your budget requirements (and it may not, because you will be staying thereon a weekday night, when the hotel is occupied by business travelers), given the hour of your arrival, I would recommend staying at the adjacent Hilton Penn Station rather than hoping you can get a taxi to a hotel in another city (Jersey City or Elizabeth) or hoping a car service booked in advance shows up.

FYI...Bolt Bus only releases its schedule a few week in advance, so there's no guarantee there will be a similarly scheduled bus in September when you want to travel. If I were planning a vacation itinerary as extensive as yours I would want to be sure my plans were nailed down well in advance. You may want to consider a mode of transportation between Boston and Newark that can be booked further in advance than Bolt Bus can.

Here's another option. Stay overnight in the Boston area near Braintree Ma where you can take the Entours bus to Cape liberty at 6:45 am. for $100 pp. This might be a little more expensive, but you do not want to arrive in Newark at a bus stop at 10:00 pm.

If this doesn't suit, then take the regular Peter Pan bus to Port Authority in NYC and switch to the airport bus which will leave you at EWR to catch a hotel shuttle. For a budget hotel look at the Ramada.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did not realize that it wasn't good to be at Penn Station after dark.

What do you think of taking the NE Regional Amtrak train? That arrives at Penn Station at 3:51pm. If we got in at that time, is it safe and would we be able to get a cab to either the Ramada or the Fairfield Inn or should we hire a car? There are only two of us. Or should we take the train to the airport and get a cab from there?

Thanks so much for your help!

Even better. Take Amtrak to Newark Airport station and the free monorail (Airtrain) to The P4 station where you can get the free hotel shuttle. There is no vehicle access to the airport station - the monorail is the only way to get out of the station. Google Newark airport monorail map to see how it works.

Thanks, 138east.

Now I'm looking at Hotwire for 9/20, and the only thing I see near Newark with a free breakfast is a 3* hotel in Orange - East Orange - West Orange that has Free Parking, Complimentary Breakfast, Free Internet, Fitness Center, High Speed Internet Access. That doesn't quite match anything I've seen mentioned here before. Can you tell what it is?

Well, that's the way it is on Hotwire sometimes. You're looking on a Thursday which is still a business travel day. You don't want to stay in Orange NJ. Look at kayak.com - I'm seeing the Ramada for $75 and even less for prepay. That's about the most "budget" hotel I would recommend at the airport. Please do not pick a hotel at the airport based solely on price. Your Hotwire choice at the airport would be the 3* hotel for $91 (likely to be the Doubletree/Sheraton) Neither hotel offers free breakfast, but the reality is that you should be on the ship by noon for an enormous lunch.

I love betterbidding and use it all the time, but it doesn't work well for Newark. We used to be able to identify Country Inns, but that seems have changed recently. The 3* hotel is often out there and has always been the Doubletree/Sheraton (pool amenity). Any 3.5* hotel is probably OK, but we don't see many of those. I think Hotwire can be risky for Newark - you can actually end up in Rahway!!!

Archived