Room safes and refrigerators on th Spirit

new salt

Thank you for that, and for the suggestion of a cooler box. They are missing a trick with the minibar!

Rgds

New Salt

Your welcome. As far as I know the Spirit is the only NCL ship without refridges. It was originally built for a different, Asia cruise market. There are a limited number of portable refridges available on request, but usually reserved for persons needing to keep medicine cool. All the rest of the NCL ships I've been on do have them...and a stocked mini bar. Of course, then you have to remove the mini bar items to use the refridge for your own items...if you have that need.

I have heard before that the Spirit does not have refrigerators because it was built for the Asian market. This has always confused me. Do Asians not need fridges - why not?? This also seems to be the reason as to why the rooms are smaller? Are Asian people that much smaller? I am only 5 foot one - but still like my space? I really do not follow the logic. Maybe someone can clarify for me?

I have heard before that the Spirit does not have refrigerators because it was built for the Asian market. This has always confused me. Do Asians not need fridges - why not?? This also seems to be the reason as to why the rooms are smaller? Are Asian people that much smaller? I am only 5 foot one - but still like my space? I really do not follow the logic. Maybe someone can clarify for me?

Don't know. Maybe it was because of the shorter cruises she was originally used for. She was not built for NCL. She was originally owned by Star Cruises and purchased later by NCL to replace a ship being built that was damaged by the builder. With Star Cruises, and named Super Star Leo, she homeported in Singapore in 1998 and operated 2-5 Night Cruises to Malaysia and Thailand. One year later, SuperStar Virgo arrived Singapore. She was then based in Hong Kong in September 10, 1999 and offered 1-5 Night Cruises to China,Hainan,Vietnam and South China Sea Cruises.

In 2003, SuperStar Leo was transferred to Australia due to SARS in Asia and she returned back to Hong Kong afterwards. She was purchased by NCL in 2004 and renamed the Spirit.

Don't know. Maybe it was because of the shorter cruises she was originally used for. She was not built for NCL. She was originally owned by Star Cruises and purchased later by NCL to replace a ship being built that was damaged by the builder. With Star Cruises, and named Super Star Leo, she homeported in Singapore in 1998 and operated 2-5 Night Cruises to Malaysia and Thailand. One year later, SuperStar Virgo arrived Singapore. She was then based in Hong Kong in September 10, 1999 and offered 1-5 Night Cruises to China,Hainan,Vietnam and South China Sea Cruises.

In 2003, SuperStar Leo was transferred to Australia due to SARS in Asia and she returned back to Hong Kong afterwards. She was purchased by NCL in 2004 and renamed the Spirit.

I believe it's a power issue which prevents them from installing them. They'd have to re-wire the whole ship to handle the load. I know that it's easy to blow their circuits with just the normal appliances people bring on board (not just your cabin, but surrounding cabins too). And...in Asia, a mini-fridge is their standard size home fridge. Maybe they thought it was too excessive for an asian cruise line, especially back in the mid 90's.

Archived