blood donation refused

travelbuds

Just got back from trying to donate blood at United Blood Services in Phoenix, AZ. Was refused because one of our ports we visited on the Jewel of the Seas in March was Costa Maya. Was told I could give blood 12 months after we left the port. The reason was the risk of malaria. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem trying to donate blood. First time ever that I was rejected in 30 years of donating.

My DH works in the blood "industry"- it is true- you cannot donate for 12 months if you visit either Costa Maya or Belize- also my oldest son works part time in a blood mobile- to help with college expenses- we leave on the Explorer on June 5- they had to really think twice about the itinerary since they both regularly donate blood products- but finally decided to go for it! We have an aft balcony (3 boys) and an aft JS- I can't wait!! Should get our documents any day!!!

This has been discussed several times in the last year on this tread.

I'm glad someone brought it up again as I didn't know it. We will be visiting Costa Maya in Sept. so I will make sure I donate blood before I go since it will be a year before I can donate again.

I'm glad someone brought it up again as I didn't know it. We will be visiting Costa Maya in Sept. so I will make sure I donate blood before I go since it will be a year before I can donate again.

I'm glad too........I've actually been to Costa Maya in the past and I didn't know this

Mexico: Risk in rural areas of the following states: Campeche, Chiapas, Guerrero, Michoacán, Nayarit, Oaxaca, Quintana Roo, Sinaloa, and Tabasco. In addition, risk exists in Jalisco State (in its mountainous northern area only). Risk also exists in an area between 24° north and 28° north latitude and 106° west and 110° west longitude which lies in parts of the states of Sonora, Chihuahua, and Durango. No malaria risk along the United States-Mexico border. No malaria risk in the major resorts (that is, resorts located in urban areas) along the Pacific and Gulf coasts, although tourists should use insect repellent and other anti-mosquito measures.

I added the color and italization. I would think the risk is miniscule along the coast due to the lack of fresh water to stagnate for breeding. However, the FDA makes the rules, and they are somewhat overrestrictive in many areas, IMO.

I just want to publically thank everyone who donates blood. An anonymous person saved my premature sons life with a gift of blood products two years ago. Thank you.

As for donations and cruising: there are several countries and parts of countries that will not allow donation for a period of time following travel there. Even if you take anti malarials.

Same thing happened to my husband after we returned from our cruise in December. They told him since we had been to the ruins in Costa Maya he couldn't give for 12 months. He's A- and the Red Cross routinely calls him letting him know about blood drives.

I try to donate blood regularly as well and did not think of this (even though the last time I donated blood they asked me if I had been to Mexico)...I still was not sure why they asked. I will make it a point to go donate BEFORE I leave on my cruise in June.

I went to give blood and was refused because I had been to Costa Maya on the Sensation in March. Am going back on the Sesation in July so I guess it will be a long time till I can give blood again. Not my fault, I'm willing they just ain't taken!

Ricky

Archived