Currency exchange for Canadians?

I am getting ready to print my Set Sail pass and I have a question. Is it better to have RCI charge me the exchange rate or have my credit card company charge me?

I think that depends on what each is charging which changes all the time.I do not think there is to much of a differance.

What I have done is open a US bank account and also a US credit card and use that for all my ship expenses. Therefore as the rate changes as like today Canadian money is worth more that US so I add to my US account and do this thoughout the year .

Enjoy your cruise :)

We are from Kitchener, Ontario. We found it better to have the credit card co do it. What is actually best is we got a $US credit card through our bank and a $US account. Pay it through the account and save up up money when the exchange is great and deposit it into the US account.

Your credit card is more likely to give you the exchange rate that is in effect when your charge is processed. The cruiseline, and this is not confined to RCI, is not likely to adjust the rate on a daily basis and whatever rate they use is probably not going to be favorable to you.:)

I'm from Ontario and I no longer set up an onboard account with my Canadian credit card.

The reason for this is because on several of my cruises RCI converted my onboard expenses to CA$ even though I specifically instructed them not to and to let my CC do the conversion.

I have given up on trusting them to do as instructed and now set up my onboard account with cash only.

Archived