Where to find excursion advice for FL Keys?

I went to the Port section but can't find any advice on excursions for florida keys.

Anyone have an idea where to find it?

Thanks.

Look for the Florida Ports of Call forum... there should be a plethora of information in there!

Key West is not really a excursion type of port. Just look up Key West on the net and see what there is to do there. Duvall street, Hemingway House and ship wreck museums are the best thing to do there.

I agree. Your best bet is to take in the sights, sounds, tastes and libations of Key West.

There is nothing quite like it.

Duval Street to the southern-most point. You got your Jimmy Buffetts, Hard Rock, Sloppy Joes, Hog's Breath for great Key drinks. Out of this world fritters at the Conch Shack, Mallory Square for the many oddities of Key West.

Enjoy it.

We just had a call in Key West last week. We rented bikes from Eaton Bikes and toured around the island on our own. There is a bike path around much of the island, and bike lanes on a lot of streets too. And you are legally allowed to use sidewalks everywhere but Duval.

It was an incredible way to take it all in. My one wish is that we'd had longer to stay.

We really enjoyed the City View Trolley Tour. We booked direct on their website as it is cheaper. We had a great tour guide..John..the others were great (one driver/guide was a real flake and spoke more about her personal life than the points of interest). You can hop on and off whenever you want which was great. You can go around the entire loop first to see what's what and then go again and get off, etc.

We want to go back again and do the White Knuckle Thrill Ride.

Enjoy!

I went to the Port section but can't find any advice on excursions for florida keys.

Anyone have an idea where to find it?

Thanks.

Checkout http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/ for list/map of attractions. There is a well-narrated hop-on/hop-off "Old Town Trolley" than you can book to tour the island - if you're there long enough you can even hop off at one or two attractions.

There are street performers and such at Mallory Square and most of the Restaurants and Bars are on Duval, just off Mallory Square. Margaritaville and Captain Bill's Honky Tonk Saloon are good. There's usually a guided Bar Crawl excursion that will prety much assure you'll make it back to the ship. You can rent Bicycles and Scooters.

ken

I also tried to research things to do in the Keys since we will call there on our Fascination cruise in the fall and I had trouble too. I'm glad that you guys have had some suggestions for the OP because I had trouble finding a lot of info for myself. We decided to do the Pub Crawl through Carnival so we could meet some others from our ship and not have to worry about running around looking for something to do after we dock. The good thing about this one is that it's only from 10-12:30 so we have time to explore for a few hours before and after if we choose to. It's worth a shot for $35pp just to get to meet some others from the ship and bounce around a few bars. :D

If you walk around town be sure to visit the Cuban Coffee Queen. Best Cuban sandwich around (order the ine that bears the establishment's name), and perfect iced coffee and lattes.

If you are a Parrothead (ie Jimmy Buffett fan) then there IS a fun walking tour called "Tales and Trails of Margaritaville". It's a great little overview of the local Key West History and lore and Jimmy Buffett history (including showing you many places that inspired his songs!) Plenty of pub stops and, of course, Margaritaville. They also take you to a great open air bar near Shrimp Boat Sound Studios! :D We loved it for our first trip to Key West!! Next time... Bikes!!!

PeaceLoveCruise

As others have said, Key West is very easy to do on your own and it is much cheaper! Consider:

• The Conch Train (really a tram) which leaves from Mallory Square. It is a great way to see the city.
  • The Harry S Truman summer White House is just a five minute walk from Mallory Square, lots of history!
  • The all time best glass bottom boat ride we ever took was in Key West, the views were spectacular. And you guessed it, the boat can be picked up in Mallory Square!!

I'm wondering if the OP is looking for excursions during a Key West port stop, or excursions to the Keys to add on to a cruise from Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

IMO there isn't much to do in the upper and middle keys other than fishing and seeing dolphins. Key West is really fun but is at least a 4 hr ride from Fort Lauderdale and 3.5 from Miami, one way. I wouldn't think of going there for the day.

Drink, then drink a little more, and then drink some more after that. CONGRATS! You just finished your Keys excursion. :rolleyes:

Archived