Dunns River Falls Review

jorgrich21

Excellent place to visit. So much fun to climb even though it was a little slippery in places. Make sure to wear rubber soled shoes - not flip flops or they'll float away. Worth the price - Highly recommended!

Did it a few years ago and found it over priced, over crowded and the vendors and guides way to pushy.

The human chain going up the falls looked like those videos of the mines in south america. One long continuous line of people joined by linked hands winding up the falls. The commercials that show a happy couple all by themselves climbing the falls is about as far from reality as you can get.

Positive is the water was really warm, the climb was not strenuous and it was a break from lying by the pool drinking beer.

Been there, Dunn that, won't go back

• 4 weeks later...
Did it a few years ago and found it over priced, over crowded and the vendors and guides way to pushy.

The human chain going up the falls looked like those videos of the mines in south america. One long continuous line of people joined by linked hands winding up the falls. The commercials that show a happy couple all by themselves climbing the falls is about as far from reality as you can get.

Positive is the water was really warm, the climb was not strenuous and it was a break from lying by the pool drinking beer.

Been there, Dunn that, won't go back

DH and I were in Jamaica on May 16. We did a Dunn's River Falls and Calypso River Tubing excursion with Phil Lafayette. We felt the SAME way about Dunn's River Falls. It was something I really wanted to see/do. It was fun, once. We do not like pushy guides and vendors and it seemed like all Dunn's River Falls employees were just that :eek:.

As you put it, "Been there, Dunn that, won't go back."

DH and I were in Jamaica on May 16. We did a Dunn's River Falls and Calypso River Tubing excursion with Phil Lafayette. We felt the SAME way about Dunn's River Falls. It was something I really wanted to see/do. It was fun, once. We do not like pushy guides and vendors and it seemed like all Dunn's River Falls employees were just that :eek:.

As you put it, "Been there, Dunn that, won't go back."

How was the crowd when you arrived at Dunn's? I read several reviews that state the private excursions arrive prior to the ship excursions which makes the crowds not so bad. What are your thoughts about Phil Lafayette tours?

We just went on a tour with Phil Lafayett. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVED him!!! Jamaica itself was OK, but Phil was the best! He came highly recommend. There was a little glitch getting to Phil when we got off the ship..security wouldn't let us go out to get to his van, but once Phil came to the gate to get us, it turned out good. Because we were a little late getting out of the gate, once we got to the falls, there were quite a few people there. But, it all turned out great, and I would go with Phil again in a heartbeat!!

How was the crowd when you arrived at Dunn's? I read several reviews that state the private excursions arrive prior to the ship excursions which makes the crowds not so bad. What are your thoughts about Phil Lafayette tours?

Dunn's River Falls was PACKED! Nothing like what I thought it would be. It was almost an hour ride from Falmouth. Honestly, we did not LOVE Phil Lafayette. My issues with the tour was 'lunch' at 5 pm and how late we got back to port. All aboard was at 6:30, we got to port just after 6. I am glad we did it, but we would not do it again.

We just went on a tour with Phil Lafayett. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVED him!!! Jamaica itself was OK, but Phil was the best! He came highly recommend. There was a little glitch getting to Phil when we got off the ship..security wouldn't let us go out to get to his van, but once Phil came to the gate to get us, it turned out good. Because we were a little late getting out of the gate, once we got to the falls, there were quite a few people there. But, it all turned out great, and I would go with Phil again in a heartbeat!!

Thanks for your response. I read positive reviews about Phil both here and on trip advisor.

Dunn's River Falls was PACKED! Nothing like what I thought it would be. It was almost an hour ride from Falmouth. Honestly, we did not LOVE Phil Lafayette. My issues with the tour was 'lunch' at 5 pm and how late we got back to port. All aboard was at 6:30, we got to port just after 6. I am glad we did it, but we would not do it again.

Thanks for your response also. Approximately what time did you leave the port? I wouldn't want to get back so close to all aboard time. Other than what you've already stated, what was it about Phil you didn't find positive?

Just about all the excursions offered by Princess stops at Dunn's River Falls. It reall looks like a lot of fun. I just don't like the idea of holding hands with 20-30 people. I am guessing it is a safety thing so you climb in just the right spot so you don't slip and fall. Do you climb the falls with out stopping? Can you let go and take pictures? Is it really worth it?

Just about all the excursions offered by Princess stops at Dunn's River Falls. It reall looks like a lot of fun. I just don't like the idea of holding hands with 20-30 people. I am guessing it is a safety thing so you climb in just the right spot so you don't slip and fall. Do you climb the falls with out stopping? Can you let go and take pictures? Is it really worth it?

You can stop to take photos.

They (the guide) will take photos of you if you like.

Honestly, this is about the only place in Jamaica we cared for.

Keith

Archived