Canada - Alaska Alcohol question

BigK09

Hi - we are on the sapphire on 5/19 from Vancouver to Alaska

I here there are some really good breweries in Alaska. We hope to buy beer to take with us for our land tour following the cruise, or maybe bring home. I figure we'd have to go through customs as soon as we get to Alaska. What are the rules going forward for Beer (not straight liquor)

I assume they will take it when I get on and give it to me my last night, but how much beer can I take off with me at the end? Do we have to go through Customs since we allready do at the first Alaska stop?

Hi - we are on the sapphire on 5/19 from Vancouver to Alaska

I here there are some really good breweries in Alaska. We hope to buy beer to take with us for our land tour following the cruise, or maybe bring home. I figure we'd have to go through customs as soon as we get to Alaska. What are the rules going forward for Beer (not straight liquor)

I assume they will take it when I get on and give it to me my last night, but how much beer can I take off with me at the end? Do we have to go through Customs since we allready do at the first Alaska stop?

Others have posted that you actually clear US Customs in Vancouver. I believe that this is true because we didn't go through customs when we disembarked the Coral in Whittier in 2009 or at any intermediate port. You will probably be able to bring beer on board at ports without having to turn it in but no guarantee. There is an Alaskan Brewing Company store in downtown Juneau as well as the opportunity to visit the brewery. From their website at: http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brewery/visit-the-brewery/find-us.html

"Now you can take a direct shuttle from the downtown Alaskan Brewing Depot to our Brewery and Tasting Room! For $7.50/person each way, Liquid Tours will provide hourly transportation between our locations. The shuttle departs from the Depot at :40 past each hour, beginning at 10:40 am. Learn more and guarantee your spot by visiting us at the Depot (219 S. Franklin) when you arrive in Juneau!"

We also stopped at the Skagway Brewing Company. I don't know if they sell bottled beer to take with or only growlers. In addition there might be a new brewery in Ketchikan, the Bear Rock Brewery.

There are other breweries in Alaska, but not at the stops before Anchorage.

Princess should be serving one or more Alaskan Brewing Company beers on board.

Since you are buying and consuming in the US you should only be limited by what you can carry.

You are right now I remember clearing customs in Vancouver on our cruise in Sept to Hawaii. I just can't remember what happened at the end of the cruise as far as if they "searched" us for alcohol We are planning to at least do Alaska brewing co and will go to the place in Skagway if we can. We are just trying to work out logistics!!

If you are going on the train, you get right off the ship (very early in AM) and get on train. No stores, no terminal, no customs - just a covered walkway. So if you are buying anything you need to do it before you get there. Ship may or may not take it away and return on last night.

Once you leave Vancouver the rest of the ports are in the US. On some cruises you walk through the lounge and flash your passport and customs form. We MIGHT have done this before first stop in Ketchikan. Definitely did not have any checks when getting off in any port on two trips northbound.

You will clear Canadian customs when you enter Canada be it at the airport, train station or when you arrive at the border in a vehicle. You will then clear US customs at Canada Place as you board the Sapphire. So unless you are flying home thru Canada, what you bring back in the way of beer will be of no interest to Canadian customs.

If you are in Anchorage area, there are some excellent micro breweries....Snow Goose, Glacier brewhouse....Humpy's serves about 90 some odd different beers and if you go into an average Fred Myers...they have liquor stores attached to them...they have some very regional brands of beer. Lots of people brew up here and it is always interesting to see what others do....

Archived