The latest on the Port of Tampa

lgill92

I love how easy the Port of Tampa is to get to and how easy the embarkation process is. However, the bridge does posses a huge obstacle for growth or continuation of cruise lines operating from the current location. As a local I am in full support of building a new facility to accommodate any size ship. Most of the lines actually pull out of the port during the summer, leaving just carnival. Also, as a Tampa Bay Rays fan I love the idea of an exchange of a new port in Pinellas county for a new stadium in Hillsborough. We shall see.

A perspective from one resident of St Petersburg on the matter: "aren't 1-million drunken sunburned cruise boat ninnies per year enough"....had to chuckle over that one as the great State of Florida relies extensively on sunburned ninnies to support its tax base.

Never happen...especcially the deal with trading the Rays for the port...was watching the new this am (Tampa) and Pinellas Co commissioners basically laughed at the idea. I really don't think St Pete wants the cruise ship industry there....

With the economy being as it is it would be silly for Pinellas to not consider it. St Pete has assets that Tampa does not. Beaches mainly. Its more cultural. It would definitely be a win for the region. You have one of the best airports in the world, which could easily expand. St pete is a short trip to the airport. The bridge from Tampa will be expanded. The trop is too far and in a crappy neighborhood. The Rays belong in Tampa. Almost everyone i know would go to more games if it was in Tampa.

Pinellas is "NUTS" if they don't want the cruise port there. They obviously don't realize the impact that would have on ALL the businesses in St. Petersburg, and the entire area.

I too, love sailing from Tampa, and wish Carnival would build some new "Spirit" class ships, as they are the perfect size, IMO. I know that ain't gonna' happen, but that doesn't change the fact that I absolutely love that size ship, and they could continue to sail from my favorite port as well. Port of Tampa! :cool:

"SKY"

With the economy being as it is it would be silly for Pinellas to not consider it. St Pete has assets that Tampa does not. Beaches mainly. Its more cultural. It would definitely be a win for the region. You have one of the best airports in the world, which could easily expand. St pete is a short trip to the airport. The bridge from Tampa will be expanded. The trop is too far and in a crappy neighborhood. The Rays belong in Tampa. Almost everyone i know would go to more games if it was in Tampa.

No one has ever confused the elected officials in Florida with intelligent people.

I'm all for it. Tampa can have the Rays!

Problem is where in St.Pete would they build it without having to go under the bridge? Maximo's waterway is to shallow and narrow. Egmont wouldn't work either

There's a number of places for a proposed new Sail Port to be built on the Gulf - Pinellas, Pasco, even Citrus and Hernando Counties could "host" this.

But there are many issues to this, including:

• Is the water deep enough, or would they have to dredge the area where they would plan to build the new port area?
  • What kind of an environmental impact will this have? There's a number of nature preserves (including Fort Desoto National Park) in the region.
  • What about accessibility? If you're talking about the St Pete Beach area (or Bellaire Bluffs, Clearwater Beach, etc.), there are a number of small bridges and two lane roads to access the area. Can they truly handle the amount of traffic, or will another multi-lane bridge need to be built?
  • Can the hotels in the area handle the influx of passengers? Will new hotels need to be built? And if so, where?
  • And most importantly, who is going to fund this? Will "Slick Rick" and his cronies try to get federal money, or will they take this private and try to raise the funds themselve?

I myself would absolutely LOVE to see the mega ships sail out of Tampa. Don't get me wrong - I adore the smaller ships. On the other hand, we *are* losing tourism money to Ft Lauderdale and Miami once again, and in order to stay competitive, this may need to be studied more. And if it means losing the Port to St. Pete -- or anywhere on that side of the area -- (and having Tampa gain the Tampa Bay Rays), then I'm all for it!

Living in the area, I'm all for options that would expand the port facilities to an area West of the Skyway to accommodate larger ships except (and this is a big EXCEPT) building something on Egmont Key. There will be lots of challenges with including the NIMBY folks as well as protecting the environment of the area, but possibilities and discussions are never a bad thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love how easy the Port of Tampa is to get to and how easy the embarkation process is. However, the bridge does posses a huge obstacle for growth or continuation of cruise lines operating from the current location. As a local I am in full support of building a new facility to accommodate any size ship. Most of the lines actually pull out of the port during the summer, leaving just carnival. Also, as a Tampa Bay Rays fan I love the idea of an exchange of a new port in Pinellas county for a new stadium in Hillsborough. We shall see.

Actually, the proposed site of the new port would still be in Hillsborough. Just closer for Pinellas to reep some of the finances.

How about further South? Is there anyplace in Manatee or Sarasota Counties that would/could accommodate the bigger ships without tremendous environmental impact?

"SKY"

Port Manatee would be a logical choice, but it's inside the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Anywhere from Bradenton down could be a possibility, but then you'd have the NIMBYs from Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, and Siesta Key down up in arms, along with the environmentalists who would want to save the various refugee areas.

Another thing is that if they did look elsewhere (Manatee/Sarasota Counties), that would throw the whole "trade Tampa Bay Rays for Port of Tampa" idea out the window...

Oh well back to the drawing boards *LOL*

Actually, the proposed site of the new port would still be in Hillsborough. Just closer for Pinellas to reep some of the finances.
The NIMBYs and environmentalists would have a field day with this if it ever came to fruition....

Like its been said, St. Pete would be crazy not to accept the proposed "trade". They complain all the time about how nobody comes to the rays games, so what possible positive economical impact is that stadium doing there?!? Cruising is a growing industry and the St.Pete area fits that culture perfectly. All of the beach resorts would flourish with the number of tourists closer to them. The airport is still not that far. And, tampa would not lose out because I guarentee a new stadium woyuld see 3x as many people everynight as it does now. Only 40,000 people attended the past 4 home games. Thats bascially the capacity of 1 Yankees game on almost any day!!! Do the trade and fix the mess/petty arguement that is already going on. As or location, alot of dredging might have to be done. The area near st. pete beach would be best for traffic and location. North and south of there are mostly straight coastline and start to become more residential in most areas. They need to do it soon too or else everyone is going to pull out of the current port and then we will be left with nothing.

Archived