Freedom of the Seas vs. Roby Princess

My husband and I are trying to decide on what cruise to take for our 1st Anniversary cruise. For our honeymoon in December we went on the Allure of the Seas and absolutely loved it! I have always been a fan on Royal Caribbean and have been on another one before the Allure. While researching for our anniversary trip in December we came across a nice cruise on the Freedom of the Seas and the Ruby Princess. Has anyone been on both and tell me your thoughts? It is so hard making a decision because I know both ships are probably wonderful!

My husband and I traveled on the Ruby last November. This was my second Princess cruise and my husbands first on Princess. We have traveled together on Carnival, RCI and Celebrity. We are planning a cruise this fall and will NOT be traveling on Princess this fall. We are looking between the Navigator and Carnivals Liberty.

I have not sailed on the Freedom Class, only the Voyager Class, but we sailed on the Ruby Princess last November. The ship was very nice and although I prefer Royal, I went with an open mind as we chose the cruise for the itinerary and because the price for the Liberty tripled before we got it booked. We had a great time, but will definitely stick with Royal Caribbean!! We felt like the food was too "fancy" for us and the service overall was the not the same. Plus, the beds were pretty firm. The one thing we liked was their upgraded soda package, for about $8 a day (each) our kids got unlimited soda, juice, milkshakes, smoothies, and mocktails. For teenagers this was a great deal and it's available for all ages. Best of luck and enjoy whichever cruise you choose!! :o

I've sailed Freedom class (Liberty) once, Voyager class many times (similar to Freedom), and Ruby (and sister ships) a few times. I much prefer RC. We sometimes book a Princess cruise just for something different and because the obstructed oceanview cabins often have great past passenger prices compared to RC. So it makes for an affordable "extra" vacation, but Princess just doesn't have the fun factor of RC. RC has a much more energetic activity team. I do prefer the food on Princess...for example the food and service in Sabitini's is really nice, the buffets offer so many different vegetables and prepared salads to choose from, and they have a great yogurt parfait bar at breakfast time. On our Ruby sailing in March, the passengers seemed about the same age as on RC, but the bars weren't very busy, so there wasn't a night life atmosphere.

Archived