Quebec City: Montgomery Falls & St Anne Shrine

Looking at excurions for cruise in July. We will be in port about 8-9 hours. Planning on doing our own walking tour of Quebbec. But I'm concerned about the excursions that include the falls and the shrine. Lots of combinations that include both of these but most are only 3-4 hours. Is that honestly enough time to really get to see the shrine and the falls even if nothing else is on the tour? I think I read that the shrine is about 1/2 hour from the city. So that's an hour right there. Is there a better option? Car rental? Private tour guide?

It's "Montmorency Falls", not Montgomery.

If you decide to rent a car, remember that all road signs here in Quebec are in French...get a GPS with the car.

4 hours is plenty of time for both locations. Figure you'll probably wanna stroll around the upper & lower parts of the old city, and have lunch at one of the hundreds of great little restaurants...should fill your day quite nicely.

You may also want to visit "Ste-Anne Canyon" not too far from the shrine.

It's "Montmorency Falls", not Montgomery.

Oops, I knew that. Was kind of tired when I posted this. Thanks for the info. Just didn't want ot feel rushed to see everything if we book the excursion through the cruise.

Figure you'll probably wanna stroll around the upper & lower parts of the old city, and have lunch at one of the hundreds of great little restaurants...should fill your day quite nicely.

I totally agree. If it's your first visit to our town, I would skip the schrine or Montmorency falls and stay in the old town and stroll the streets and enjoy a great meal.

Quebec is the perfect town to skip the ship excursion as you will arrive directly in the old town.

The Schrine is beautiful but It's take almost 1 hour going there both ways.

I double checked and we are in port from 7AM - 5PM. So we are going to do a private tour that includes St Anne Canyon, St Anne Shrine, Montmorency Falls and Island of Orleans. We can customize this to fit what we want to see and how long we want to stay. Then we will spend the afternoon in town.

Would you be willing to share/recommend the name of your private tour company? We will be in Quebec in October. Thank you.

Yes, I'd be interested to know also. Thanks!

I totally agree. If it's your first visit to our town, I would skip the schrine or Montmorency falls and stay in the old town and stroll the streets and enjoy a great meal.

Quebec is the perfect town to skip the ship excursion as you will arrive directly in the old town.

Zazou

We are overnighting in your town in late September. We figure the first day we are going to do as you suggest and stroll the streets. We were considering renting a car for the second day and getting out of town and seeing some of the countryside.

What would be your suggestions for "don't miss" stops for both days?

Which Spirit iteniary are you taking? We loved our Eastern Med cruise on Jade...a few years ago. Be glad to share any suggestions I have if you are doing the Eastern.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
Would you be willing to share/recommend the name of your private tour company? We will be in Quebec in October. Thank you.

Sorry, I hadn't seen that anyone had posted. Well we had this arranged with TAXI COOP but not booked as we were told we only needed to give them a few days notice. It was a 4 hr tour with an English speaking driver, $260 including taxes for a car with 4 people. Admission fee to the Canyon was extra. We called the other day because we had a question and was asked to call back on 6/5 so we could speak with our first contact person. When we called back, we were told they no longer book tours in advance but there would be plenty of drivers from their company at the pier that we could "negotiate" a tour with.:( Just not sure we are comfortable with this new arrangement. So we are looking for another company.

We are staying at the Claremont Hotel. Can you suggest a good restaurant?

Archived