Why/When did you start cruising?

OK Let me start off by saying...

Hi I am Dan and I am a cruiseaholic (all say Hi Dan!)

I am a soon to be 50 year old who discovered cruising later in life.

My fiance and I were talking last night about this late in life revelation last night. She discovered cruising in her 30's aand is the reason I am addicted.

Which got me thinking: Why did others start cruising when they did and I am the only idiot who discovered this so late in life...

For my part I disbelieved what I was told watching the Love Boat..There really couldn't be non-geriatric people cruising...could there?

Another thought in my head was: Cruising is too expensive, I can't afford that. (Yet I now know that I would spend twice the cost of a cruise with a short 4 day trip to Vegas).

So I ask you all when did you start cruising and if later in life like me..what reasons did you have for not jumping on a ship?

July 19, 1992 on the Mardi Gras was our first and only cruise. Until June 24 this year!!

We went on our honeymoon to Freeport and Nassau from Port Canaveral. We had a blast but it was so expensive then and it just slipped into the memory buffers.

My mother just took my daughter on a cruise in March and in planning with them I got the bug after thinking about how much fun dw and I had 20 years ago. This is our 20th gift.

On the Mardi Gras, we had an inside room (a closet with a bed and a shower/commode stall with a sink). We have a balcony this time.

I was a last minute stand in for my Dad (you could do this way back then)when business needs prevented him from travelling with my Mom on the MS Noordam group cruise they had planned. We did a lot of sailing growing up so it was no suprise I was hooked the second I stepped on board. I ate in the main dining room with the group everynight and did excursions with her group. However, I had met up with some young people at a scheduled meet n' greet and happy days.....a ship board romance developed with a handsome young man my age travelling with his family. Had a fabulous time on this voyage and could hardly wait to go again. Over the years I have taken a cruise every chance I had and have no intention of stopping.:D

OK Let me start off by saying...

Hi I am Dan and I am a cruiseaholic (all say Hi Dan!)

I am a soon to be 50 year old who discovered cruising later in life.

My fiance and I were talking last night about this late in life revelation last night. She discovered cruising in her 30's aand is the reason I am addicted.

Which got me thinking: Why did others start cruising when they did and I am the only idiot who discovered this so late in life...

For my part I disbelieved what I was told watching the Love Boat..There really couldn't be non-geriatric people cruising...could there?

Another thought in my head was: Cruising is too expensive, I can't afford that. (Yet I now know that I would spend twice the cost of a cruise with a short 4 day trip to Vegas).

So I ask you all when did you start cruising and if later in life like me..what reasons did you have for not jumping on a ship?

I'm Tim (everyone say hi Tim), I am an addict too. I am a lot like you Dan, Love Boat gave a distorted view and I also thought they were too expensive. Didn't take our first one until April 2001 and have been trying to go every year but have missed a few. After we really decided to take one and really started looking at the pricing, it really is one of the most economical vacations you can take, well on Carnival anyway. Made the mistake of booking a balcony on our second cruise, now I have an added addiction, LMAO, but one which I am all too happy in indulge.

Happy cruising, and see you all in the next Cruise Addicts Anonymous meeting.

Tim

This has been a fun thread to start and follow.

While I call myself an idiot for waiting so long to discover cruising I am glad I finally did and will medicate my addiction as often as I can :D

Thanks to all who have responded!

Archived