BV Booze under fire

MikeM

[quote name='rybreadsmom']No idea on the name, but it was a couple of hundred yards along Ali'i Drive from where we tendered in - past the first two bars that are there. Nothing fancy, but nice ocean views and a relaxed atmosphere.
Of course, we had amazing company (halos and her DH), so that helps. :)

Definitely take the time to wander down Ali'i Drive - at least as far as the little farmers market they have ([URL]http://konafarmersmarket.com/[/URL]), maybe 5 minutes down the street.[/quote]

I think you implied more than a relaxed atmosphere...we had plenty of that on the ship.
(That bartender took a lousy photo)

[quote name='big_duck']Cutting out BV will result in more smuggling, not more bar sales.

Pity the F&B types have so little understanding of economics. The bar prices are too high. Increase sales by cutting prices. That is how every other business does it.

I sometimes think Carnival is run by the government.[/quote]
No doubt! Smuggling is a pain in the butt. If the drink prices were more reasonable, I for one would not hassle with smuggling!

[quote name='halos']I think you implied more than a relaxed atmosphere...we had plenty of that on the ship.
(That bartender took a lousy photo)[/quote]
Yes, but the Charlos and Carlie's was downstairs. We just didn't go in there.

[quote name='rybreadsmom']And this is why I got banned. :rolleyes:[/quote]
...because you asked what the heck someone was talking about???????:confused:

I must need coffee...you have me confused. Please put my sister back on so she can speak proper American/Philly that I can understand.:p:p:p

We have cruised Carnival for 6 years and our expections have changed. we started with big formal events on each cruise and a big bar bill. After 20 cruises we have progressed to enjoying the ship and less on formal nights and less of a bar bill and parting.... I guess that goes with getting older and more cruises....... Now if CCL gets my Rum Runners I will change my cruising and will just cruise sobber. It all comes down to how much money spent on the cruies for me. I have a BUDGET for each cruise. If get my drinks I will spend the extra on shop purchases or spa.... If not I will adjust my spending..... Carnival can cracke down on rum rummers etc. but I have an overall budget..... Who wins in the end....????? I spent on what I have budgeted for each cruise. Any Comments on how you spend your money:confused::confused::confused::confused:

[quote name='Hoosiercouple']Perhaps CCL is having revenue drops up on the Lido deck because so many chairs are chogged by towels and shoes. Only an actual person occupying a chair can order a drink. The chair saving situation is totally out of control and it seems that at certain times of the day, the unoccupied-saved chairs- almost outnumber the occupied ones. Carnival should consider this scenario into their equation when trying to figure out why bar sales are down on the pool decks. I'm sure that BV may be a reason for some of the revenue loss but CCL should take a look at the whole picture.

JMO
[/quote]
^ THIS!!!

I've made this point a number of times. Shirts, towels, and shoes do not order drinks! Allowing hogs to hold on to chairs cuts into their profit margin. You would think they would do something about it, wouldn't you?

Just thinking out loud here, but perhaps if they didnt RIP YOU OFF to buy a drink more people would buy drinks ??

I expect mark ups, so i dont begrudge them that but when ONE beer costs almost as much as a 6 pack at home perhaps a lot of people are turning their noses up and thinking no thanks not worth it. Mixed drinks are even worse then beer. (Im sure DOD arent top shelf, and they arent strong so those things are a RIP OFF and a half)

If they want to increase revenues, then they shouldnt continuely raise the costs of drinks. Maybe lower them so they aren't quite so pricey and then more peole would buy them.

If they had affordable drink prices people wouldnt bother smuggling either.

I can only speak for myself, but i dont drink too much on the ship because i am not going to pay 7 dollars for a beer more then about once or twice a day. So they get maybe 7 or 14 bucks out of me. If the beer was 4 dollars i might buy 3 or 4 during the day, and maybe 3 or 4 at night. So its 7-14 dollars vs 24 -32 dollars a day for me. At the current model Carnival gets the 7-14 dollars a day.

Yes i know one costs me more, but maybe i am cheap but i am not going to buy many beers at 7 dollars a pop, 4 dollars i wouldnt think much about.

Archived