Royal Caribbean President & CEO Discusses Onboard Alcohol Policies

it seems most other cruise lines allow you to bring 1 bottle of wine aboard, including celebrity; i guess rcl really does have a drinking problem aboard their ships; too bad the average person cant have 1-2 glasses of wine in their room who doesn t behave like the others upstairs; thats why we like celebrity and even carnival[thats hard to believe];

First off, I'm angry at myself for wasting valuable time watching the stupid Inside edition story that was linked elsewhere. It's pure garbage. It's very easy to take a 2 to 6 second video shot and put it out of context with sensational text. For example, I have had friends who pretended to be drunk on a cruise while the ship was actually in heavy seas... they were just being silly. One could easily have filmed them and used it in the IE story.

They show people dancing at the pool and assume they're all drunk? It's an amazing cruise director that can get that many people out dancing at the pool... and it would be a great time. If they were all 21 (and there was no mention of underage drinking in the IE piece)... then it's a choice.

People choose to pay the $12 for the weak drinks they sell at sail away... go for it. Everyone should drink responsibly but it just doesn't happen all the time and people get sick or worse. At least they're not driving...geez. People need to lighten up and remember these people are on vacation.

Also, just cause people get on a cruise for vacation doesn't mean they're happy or healthy. People will bring their troubles on board too and often people who drink until they're passed out have some significant issues that are impairing their better judgement.

It is impossible at land or at sea to keep everyone in check with drinking no matter how many laws, rules or enforcement you put out there.

I didn't see the TV show but I have seen extreme drinking on every cruise I've sailed. Heavy drinking is the social norm for celebrations and it is a vacation. Ladies gone wild is seen in every bar every weekend. Its mostly yourger people but thats because they are partying and spring break is the biggest party for young people.In every resort you will see the same thing. Of course ships push drink sales. Its the number one revenue maker.

Anyone that has done the west cost sailings knows every body goes to the bars off ship to get plastered on the cheap. Drinks on board are costly. If some of them weren't already drunk they wouldn't spend that much time in bars on board. So relax and let them enjoy the morning after. :D

The most logical thing to do is ban all threads that are about banned items on RCI. Why allow posts on how to skirt the rules? It makes no sense. These threads are about RCI, so they should be about what is allowed, not about how to get something past security. It would be too easy to have a sticky with the list of currently banned items. That's all that's needed. If someone wants to attempt to smuggle, let them figure out how to do it themselves.

So what you are saying is, in addition to being RCI cheerleaders, we should be censors and enforcers for them also. Great idea! :rolleyes:

Archived