Tirol Info-HLitner???

Flick

Hank (or anyone else for that matter!) do you have any info about the Tirol area. We will be staying in Seefeld in Austria at the end of Oktoberfest. Thanx

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Hi Rick!

I read a post from you and then lost it! icon_confused.gif Is your e-mail address the same? I copied your Caronia review and sent it to a friend we met on the Century in Jan. It's one of her favorite ships.

It seems that you and Kay, like Bruce and I, have never met a ship we didn't like! icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Are you two still coming to Calif.? We'd love to meet for lunch and catch up on all our adventures! If you are visiting relatives in San Diego, how about the winery in Temecula for lunch and some vino?! We have never done that even though it's only a little over an hour from here!

Let me know! Our e-mail's the same (tantunez@earthlink.net)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

Nanette: Yes our email is the same. And yes we are coming out in June to SD and to Temecula. I will give you the date later but it will probably be June 26th. That's a Saturday and I'm sure we can do lunch at the winery. We'll find out from my SIL which is the best and let you know. Of course, I've never met a ship I DIDN'T like- I didn't know it was possible to NOT like a ship! After our riverboat in July we are going to the Tirol in October and then touring the Western National Parks next June (05) so a ship is not in my immediate plans. However I would go on a ship at the drop of a hat and be more than happy to provide the hat!!!! Have you heard anything from Lynda S. Seems to have dropped off the end of the earth. Incidentally, Kayelache from these boards is going to be on our riverboat in July. icon_cool.gif

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

We stayed in Seefeld for a few nights in June 03 -- at the Dorint Vital spa & resort. Seefeld is a small, tourist-oriented village on a plateau of sorts midway up the mountains. I can imagine it will be quite a hopping place during Oktoberfest. This part of Austria is very pretty & easy to get around via car.

What would you like to know? That trip, we picked up a car in Vienna and did a road trip across Austria to Bregenz/Lake Constance, then to Mad Ludwig's castles on the German border, up the Romantic Road & over to the Rhine up to Cologne. Fast trained it to Amsterdam & caught the maiden voyage of the Serenade home! (Great way to end a Euro land trip.)

next up: Celeb Millie - Med - 6/04, then a Nile cruise

RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03

RCI Serenade – Transatlantic – Maiden 08/04/03

Star Princess – Mex Riviera – Holidays 02

Dawn Princess – Alaska – July 02

NCL Star – Hawaii – June 02

RCI Rhapsody – W Carib – Holidays 01 (back2back)

RCI Explorer – E Carib – Holidays 00

NCL Sea – W Carib – Holidays 99

Artemis: Thanx for your reply. We will be staying at the Hotel Schnoegg in Seefeld for 13 nights. From there we will be doing day tips to Munich, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Switzerland, and Leichenstein plus exploring some of the villages on the plateau. Lunch is on our own-any suggestions? I checked into a van rental (3 couples going) and it was $175.00 per day per couple so we are going to be using the train a lot.....We only wanted the van for three days and all they offered was manual trans which none of us boomers can use icon_wink.gif. We're hoping to see some of the smaller villages Fall festivals and we have been led to believe that the Fall foliage will be quite a sight.

P.S. Did the Nile River in 2001-had a great time and just returned from a 14 day TransAtlantic so we are pretty much on the same wave length....

Flick,

I don't recall any highlight meals in Seefeld--I'm sure there are great places, we just didn't hit them. Also, it was an unexpected stop for us, so we didn't have the benefit of my usual (somewhat obsessive icon_biggrin.gif) research.

I'm an older boomer of modest origins--learned to drive on a manual Pinto! Can't believe out of 6 of you there's no one who is stick savvy. icon_razz.gif Did you price out renting two (automatic) cars? Training will be easy in that part of the world, of course, but considering your slightly remote location, train travel will be fairly time-consuming and schedule-limiting compared to having a car. (I'm thinking an hour for the Seefeld-Innsbruck connection + there were fewer trains throughout the day than I would have expected. If you haven't played around w/ itineraries already, y'all might want to check out the timetables at Die Bahn site.) You might end up blowing off some of those side trips after a few really long days...I'd definitely prioritize your wish list so you visit your top choices first, just in case.

Whatever you decide, you're right, October should be an incredible time to visit from a scenery & weather standpoint. What's not to like about being in the heart of beer country during Oktoberfest?! Plan on hiking. Renting bikes could be fun, too.

Did you happen to do a review of your Egypt trip? As you know, it's kinda hard to get travel tips/tricks on Egypt....

Artemis: I believe I came on the boards AFTER the Egypt trip so there will be no review. To keep it short, we were there 6 weeks after 9/11 for 2 weeks. We went with Grand Circle and decided to go "anyway" because they have an office in Cairo and we were confident they wouldn't let us go into "harm's way". They didn't. We saw very, very few other tourists but the security was almost obsessive. Armed troops guarding us all the time, everywhere and the week we were on the boat we docked at military installations rather than the town docks.

Our cruise was for 7 days so we leisurely got to see the West Bank going from Luxor to Aswan then the East Bank coming from Aswan to Luxor. There is so much to see that I can't imagine a 3 to 4 day one-way trip on the Nile.

Once you leave the environs of Cairo you are thrust back centuries into a third world very, very poor country that appears to be very dirty. The desert is 98% of Egypt and even Cairo has sandstorms in it. The green strip that is along side the Nile is only 1-9 miles wide, the rest sand! It is once-in-a-lifetime trip.....I don't know if this still true but when we were in Cairo, a city of 16 million people, there were only 5 stop-lights. (A great definition of total chaos!)

Incidentally, the media accidentally "overlooked" this fact. You will recall that the week after 9/11 all flights to the US were halted "in place". There were over 700 American tourists "stranded" in Egypt. The Egyptian government paid ALL their expenses including meals, lodging, etc. for the entire week they were there.

Thanks for the Egypt info, Rick!

Can't wait to hear about your river cruise from AMS to Vienna. And Oktoberfest!

Archived