Century Electrical Outlets???

teacherman

On one review, a cruiser said that on the Century the electrical outlets in the cabins are Northern Europe type plugs, and that if you have US appliances, you will need a plug adapter. IS THIS TRUE? I use a CPAP machine, and take camera and phone chargers, and need to know. Any info is welcome. Thank you.

On one review, a cruiser said that on the Century the electrical outlets in the cabins are Northern Europe type plugs, and that if you have US appliances, you will need a plug adapter. IS THIS TRUE? I use a CPAP machine, and take camera and phone chargers, and need to know. Any info is welcome. Thank you.

Partially true. They also have US standard plugs in the cabin and bathroom. Do not worry. Enjoy your cruise

All Celebrity ship's I've been on, including the Century, they had both American style 110V outlets and the European style 220V outlets but no UK style outlets.

Also, the bathroom outlet has always been marked for shavers only so I'd presume it is too low a current to run other types of appliances. The outlets by the desk/vanity are full power.

Check your phone and camera chargers - if they are marked as 220V compatible (most are) you can pick up a simple plug adapter to plug them into the round European type outlets - the basic version which run about $5 each or less from web sites such as Amazon.

I just got off Century yesterday. I always bring a power strip with me due to charging of phones, ipads etc. There is a US plug located in the cabin on the shelf at the foot of the bed (this was 9099) - I don't know about the other cabins. I used that one to charge all my stuff and had no problems.

One lady on deck 12 brought her own hair dryer (which they ask you not to do) and her hair dryer caught fire while she was using it.

The staff is most helpful and will do what they can to assist.

....One lady on deck 12 brought her own hair dryer (which they ask you not to do) and her hair dryer caught fire while she was using it...

I've never seen anything in any policy that said not to bring hair dryers. My wife has always brought one of her own as she doesn't like the ones on the ships - particularly the ones on the Century and the M class ships (built in wall units) and we've never had any issues with it being questioned nor having any issues with its operations.

If there is a prohibition on hair dryers please point it out on Celebrity's site, faq, or any other Celebrity materials so we'll know in the future.

Me? I don't really have enough hair to worry about drying.:rolleyes:

I didn't see anything written either, but a staff member said it was not recommended. Let me add that the hair dryer in question was being used with a converter in one of the euro style outlets.

I didn't see anything written either, but a staff member said it was not recommended. Let me add that the hair dryer in question was being used with a converter in one of the euro style outlets.

Converters are very problematic. I think a lot of people see the cheap ones at stores in the $20-$30 range and don't read the fine print and think they'll work on anything you can plug into them. In reality you need one designed for your specific type of item. Also run into people who think a plug adapter is a converter and if they can plug it in it will be fine. Either case is a burn-out waiting to happen.

Archived