No Glacier Bay From May-August 2013?

I have heard that there are a limited number of permits available allowing ships into Glacier Bay and that the only lines holding these permits on almost every cruise are Princess and Holland America.

I am wondering why Carnival isn't cruising Glacier Bay During the Summer of 2013.

Anyone know what gives?

Mel:confused:

Glacier Bay is a national park and they are dedicated to protecting it and keeping the area pristine. They limit the number of ships allowed in each day so the ship has to have a permit to enter. Princess, HAL and NCL hold the the permits.

Do you have any idea why....?

I am booking my first cruise with Princess because I want to go in July.

From my research, Princess is up at the top for Alaskan cruises, especially for Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier (which is a must-do if you're going on an Alaskan cruise IMO). I can't wait for my first Princess (Alaskan) cruise in about 4 weeks.:D

I am wondering why Carnival isn't cruising Glacier Bay During the Summer of 2013.

Anyone know what gives?

Mel:confused:

I don't know why that is, but it is the reason why we booked the 4/29/13 cruise since Glacier Bay is a must see for us!

From my research, Princess is up at the top for Alaskan cruises, especially for Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier (which is a must-do if you're going on an Alaskan cruise IMO). I can't wait for my first Princess (Alaskan) cruise in about 4 weeks.:D

Princess has the most infrastructure in Alaska and the most permits to Glacier Bay. In fact this year some of their cruises are doing both Glacier Bay and Hubbard on the same cruise-a special treat. Also if you are doing the land portion Princess and HAL have their own trains that guarantee everyone a seat in a domed car. if the destination is important to you sail with Princess in Alaska!

Princess has the most infrastructure in Alaska and the most permits to Glacier Bay. In fact this year some of their cruises are doing both Glacier Bay and Hubbard on the same cruise-a special treat. Also if you are doing the land portion Princess and HAL have their own trains that guarantee everyone a seat in a domed car. if the destination is important to you sail with Princess in Alaska!

Yes... we are on the southbound Coral Princess from Whittier to Vancouver, which includes both Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier. Also doing a land portion "on our own", and have booked the awesome Alaskan Railroad domed cars for a trip to Denali for a few days pre-cruise. Can.Not.Wait.

Thank you to all who answered. I have booked my first non-Carnival cruise with Princess and am really looking forward to this destination.

I hope those of you who are going have a great trip!

Mel:)

Congrats... Now the planning begins! Check out the Alaska Ports of Call board here on CC, has some good info.

Only two ships are allowed into Glaciar Bay each day. Seeing that glaciar calve is pretty spectacular, but keep in mind that Tracy Arm is pretty neat too, especially if you luck out like I did and see it on a rare sunny day.

Glaciar bay is almost perpetually gloomy.

Only two ships are allowed into Glaciar Bay each day. Seeing that glaciar calve is pretty spectacular, but keep in mind that Tracy Arm is pretty neat too, especially if you luck out like I did and see it on a rare sunny day.

Glaciar bay is almost perpetually gloomy.

Hmmmmm .... I wondered about that. From the pictures folks have posted it does look gloomy, however since I don't know if I'll get a chance to go back to Alaska I feel I must experience it. I'm sure I want to revisit Alaska. Who knows maybe I'll get the chance.:p

Thanks!

Mel:)

Archived