Car rental in Skagway

mknopick

We'll be in Skagway in July off the Radiance of the Seas.

We plan on renting a car in Skagway and drive to Carcross. My wife does not like high winding roads. What is the Klondike highway like?

I'm doing the same in June; someone else had recommended to me Murrays Guide to the South Klondike Highway. (You can google it easily). It's a 30 page pdf which costs $5.00 to purchase/download. But it does a mile by mile description of the route and includes a lot of pictures as well. You might be interested to check that out...

We'll be in Skagway in July off the Radiance of the Seas.

We plan on renting a car in Skagway and drive to Carcross. My wife does not like high winding roads. What is the Klondike highway like?

I have to agree that the road is a pretty easy drive. However, driving through the mountain pass can get kind of scary.

I typically make the drive up the Klondike Highway in the evening (partly because I like to watch the bear along the road in the evening and partly because I take the morning ferry out of Juneau and it gets there in the afternoon and by the time we grab a bite to eat and get some misc supplies, it is early evening). I will admit I have never made the drive through the pass (White Pass I believe is the official name) during the daytime, so driving through there in the day might be a completely different experience. However, when I go through there in the evening time, it always seems to be rainy and foggy.

It doesn't make the drive terrible, but it is something you should be aware of, especially if you have someone afraid of heights and mountain roads to begin with.

I've thrown a photo I took from my truck back in 2009 when I was coming down the mountain into Skagway from the Canadian side, just so you can get an idea what conditions can be like.

Overall, it is a great drive. To me, there is nothing better than driving and seeing the remote regions of Alaska and Western Canada. I like to take a week everytime I go up there and drive.

klondikehwy.jpg.b1c7b0e78f31e4c03a30487a6c93b28b.jpg

Murray's Guide is great.........well worth the $.

The drive is great as well.

Avis and Sourdough and the Green Jeeps run out of cars. There are many cruise ships in port on some days and they run out of cars, so be sure to make a reservation.

You'll enjoy all you see!:p

Archived