Roll Call 4220A July26 Southampton- Lisbon

SusanNJ

Isn't anyone on cruise critic joining us? This is the first time that I have not met someone on CC that will join us on our travels. I have previously met some wonderful people, one who even shared a car with us from Rome to the port.

Eureka!(not one of Ca garden spots) So happy to know that we will not be alone. We will be flying from NJ a day earlier. As it will be the Olympics and we were on a SS that concluded by the Tower Bridge last year, we will be avoiding London. It was suggested by another Cruise Critic member that we stay at the Limewood, about 20 minutes from Southampton.

So far we are booking the Cognac excursion. I am still deciding about the others. The highlight for me, besides Bordeaux will be the Guggenheim in Bilboa.

So glad that you will be joining us.

Before moving to So Cal 10 years ago we lived in NJ. Parsippany and then Montville. We too are flying in a day early - arriving on the 25th - but just staying in Southhampton overnight. At the end we are staying on in Portugal. I haven't booked any tours as yet. We kind of hate those "panoramic" tours where you get shuffled around with a busload. Often we are successful in just taking a taxi at the pier. In Bilbao we do have a private tour arranged.

I live just down 46 from your former home in Wayne. We would be interested in doing some private tours too. What do you have arranged in Bilboa? Let us know what else you are planning. My husband and I like to meander and find things on our own. We can walk extensively. We will be staying an extra two days in Lisbon. I have booked the hotel Tiarra Park Atlantico through Snique Away( part of tripadvisor). We are looking to go out of Lisbon and perhaps see the area where the port is produced.

We actually lived in Wayne in a garden apartment when we were first married and my husband's office was in Pompton Lakes until we retired and moved to California. In Bilbao our travel agent arranged a special day as part of an association called Virtuoso that her agency participates in. We are staying on in Sintra at the Ritz Carlton after the cruise ends. We fly back to the US on Aug 7th. We also like to walk and meander. We like to walk off the pier and find a taxi driver who speaks English and take a little tour with the car. However, in Bordeaux I think I need to figure something out so that we can really experience the wine country. I don't need a "packaged" tour with a tour of the winery - we have enough of that here in Napa and Sonoma.

Have you traveled Silversea before? This is our first time on this line, but have cruised many other times. Will you bring tuxedo and cocktail clothes?

You will love your special tour in Bilboa. Virtuoso does a really nice job with the tours. We have travelled with Silversea two previous times, the last time being August Copenhagen to the Tower Bridge on the Cloud. Seabourn really is my preferred line, however their itineraries do not vary and frankly Silversea was more competively priced. Last year we did bring a tux for my husband. If I have to take a suit or a tux, it is the same amount of packing. I would say that 60% had tuxes. Some women did get really dressed up, even in gowns, but there was definitely a larger number then on previous trips that were more casual. I will take a black dress or two and maybe one other since I have them and no one ever seems to get dressed up anymore even in NYC. I probably pack a blazer and another jacket for my husband.

We always enjoy the interesting people we meet. Having an itinerary intensive cruise, We do not really count on the cruise provided entertainment which last year was the low point. I understand that they have different entertainment this year.

By the way, I just passed the apartments where you used to live. As for Montville, I have two friends there, the Stollers and the Decters. It certainly is a different life style than Souther Ca.

Archived