Vatican / Pisa - ID Required for Admission

Cruise Leprechaun

I just booked tickets to see the Vatican and also the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Both asked for form of identification as well as my passport number. We will be visiting on a cruise this summer and I think I usually dont need to bring my passport with me to ports (just the ship card if I remember correctly) but now I am thinking I wont be admitted to these things unless I bring my passport? Does anyone have any first-hand experience? For the Vatican they had different rates for adults vs kids so maybe the Vatican is to verify the kids arent 18 but Pisa didnt even have different rates? Finally, if a passport is required, do you think just bringing a copy is fine? THanks.

I just booked tickets to see the Vatican and also the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Both asked for form of identification as well as my passport number. We will be visiting on a cruise this summer and I think I usually dont need to bring my passport with me to ports (just the ship card if I remember correctly) but now I am thinking I wont be admitted to these things unless I bring my passport? Does anyone have any first-hand experience? For the Vatican they had different rates for adults vs kids so maybe the Vatican is to verify the kids arent 18 but Pisa didnt even have different rates? Finally, if a passport is required, do you think just bringing a copy is fine? THanks.

We just bought Vatican tickets over the weekend, and didn't have to supply our passport information.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vatican ticket window was fine with a passport copy when we were there last year. They only wanted one ID for the person who made the reservation and didn't need to see everyone in the party.

Archived