What to do in Belize City

heathero

• 2 weeks later...

Well, because the ships drop off right there at Belize City, it really can't be avoided....

I looked at www.tripadvisor.com for ideas, because I saw other posts saying it was dangerous to go too far beyond the tourism village gates. I think you do have to be careful, but it looks like the tourism village part is fine for walking around and shopping, having some lunch.

That is what we are going to do.

I did just see that there is a chocolate factory at "Pirates" Terminal 4 (one of the four places ships drop folks off??). You can have a tour and make your own candy bar. I like chocolate- might be fun:)

We enjoyed the zoo excursion too.

If you like local bars, the Wet Lizard is right at the port. It's on the second floor of the building and is a fun place to sip on a drink and enjoy some people watching.

Well, because the ships drop off right there at Belize City, it really can't be avoided....

I looked at www.tripadvisor.com for ideas, because I saw other posts saying it was dangerous to go too far beyond the tourism village gates. I think you do have to be careful, but it looks like the tourism village part is fine for walking around and shopping, having some lunch.

That is what we are going to do.

I did just see that there is a chocolate factory at "Pirates" Terminal 4 (one of the four places ships drop folks off??). You can have a tour and make your own candy bar. I like chocolate- might be fun:)

We love Belize and have ventured out of the gates and always felt perfectly safe. There is a small flea market right across the street from the tourism village with prices much better than those inside the gate and offering local items. They will also bargain with you. The vendors are pushy (as they are everywhere in the Caribbean) but take a simple "No" if you are not interested.

Yes, not giving your $$$ to the cruise lines affiliated shops would be dangerous :) I have walked all over the city and find it no more dangerous then any other port. the usual want some drugs,woman,Cuban cigars....no thanks..

Interesting how it was never dangerous before they fenced in an expanded the shopping area?

We love Belize and have ventured out of the gates and always felt perfectly safe. There is a small flea market right across the street from the tourism village with prices much better than those inside the gate and offering local items. They will also bargain with you. The vendors are pushy (as they are everywhere in the Caribbean) but take a simple "No" if you are not interested.

We are traveling with my dad, who has been to Belize many times. He agrees it is safe; I just wanted to put it out there for the OP, who sounded unfamiliar with other traveler's experiences. I personally look forward to a more "authentic" experience!

Thanks for the tip on the good flea market prices! It sounds fun!

Is there a way to tour the ruins without doing a excursion? Like picking up a taxi by the port, is it safe? we usually do that at other stops

The best ruins (Xunantunich and Lamanai) are hours away from Belize City, and Lamanai involves a long boat ride after the ground portion, so a taxi does not seem practical. I'm not sure if there are good alternatives closer to BC, but this is one port where an planned tour makes sense imho. As always booking directly with shore operators can save significant $$$.

Check out NICH the Belize City Museum which houses the art work that was taken out of Altun Ha, including the Jade Head(which is not on display). We are doing a walking tour of Belize City which includes the museum and the swing bridge. The last one of it's kind in the world. It is a walking bridge, and twice a day, they turn the bridge, and let the boats go up and down the river through town. I just googled walking tour of Belize City, and found some places of interest that we would like to see. Belize City is poor, but I can't believe it's any more dangerous in the day than New York or Atlanta at night. Our tour is without guide, just me and a map, and the museum costs 5.00. I will do a review upon my return, which is two months before you go.

We have a group porting in Belize City in November, so I'm really looking forward to your review! While many in our group simply want to make Belize another "ship day", I would love to take a little walking tour of the city & purchase some items from the natives, so we can help them & their economy! Any ideas, suggestions, maps, pictures, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I am counting down the days, and I am really looking forward to trying something unique and different. While the world spins by me in tree tops and caves, I will be whiling away, I hope, an educational experiencei, and something to really bring to the table.

not if you are british, it was 8.20 in the morning us.....

but then I often up till way past mindnight, then go to bed and read, watch tv for an hour or so, and still wake up about 6 am to listen to the news

Come on Cruise .... can not wait

• 2 months later...
I am counting down the days, and I am really looking forward to trying something unique and different. While the world spins by me in tree tops and caves, I will be whiling away, I hope, an educational experiencei, and something to really bring to the table.

We will be in Belize next May and I was searching for something different to do. I can't wait to hear about your walking tour - it sounds perfect! :)

Archived