connection times in Buenos Aires

mare s.

Getting ready to book our flights and would appreciate some advice. Are we safe in flying from Iguacu (Argentina side) to Buenos Aires and then immediately transfering to the international airport for a flight home to the U.S. The Iguacu flight arrives in B.A. at 2 pm and the flight from B.A. to the States leaves at 10:30 pm. That gives us 8 hours to make the connection....I've been reading here that flights from Iguacu are notorious for being rescheduled or being late...but on LAN are we likely to be completely canceled?

Thanks.

Getting ready to book our flights and would appreciate some advice. Are we safe in flying from Iguacu (Argentina side) to Buenos Aires and then immediately transfering to the international airport for a flight home to the U.S. The Iguacu flight arrives in B.A. at 2 pm and the flight from B.A. to the States leaves at 10:30 pm. That gives us 8 hours to make the connection....I've been reading here that flights from Iguacu are notorious for being rescheduled or being late...but on LAN are we likely to be completely canceled?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Weather permitting, you have plenty of time. If the plane is on time, you should allow 90 minutes to get from AEP to EZE, allowing for traffic. It may be shorter or longer depending on conditions and the day of the week. The plane could be 3 hours late arriving and you would still make it.

If the flight is cancelled due to weather and you can't get on the next flight...that's what travel insurance is for. Make sure you're covered!

How early do you need to check in for your international flight? 7:30? 8? 8:30? You'll be on your own for the connection, of course, and if you miss the connection you're on your own (i.e., not like connecting at the same airport). Confirm with your airline. You don't say if there are earlier flights to AEP. None to EZE, I assume (I did see some domestic flights going there). If you go through AEP, could you look for a digital camera? I lost mine there about 4 years ago.

I think we've decided to overnight in Buenos Aires before returning to the States. It will make the return from Iguacu less stressful and will also give us more time to enjoy B.A. Thanks for the advice...it made our decision easier.

I think we've decided to overnight in Buenos Aires before returning to the States. It will make the return from Iguacu less stressful and will also give us more time to enjoy B.A. Thanks for the advice...it made our decision easier.

Good decision. I cannot understand why tourists would travel a great distance to foreign shores to take a boat ride and then fly home immediately upon disembarking. Unless you just dont have the time you should stay a few nights in Bs As. It's a great big place with lots to see and do.

Bernardinho...to clarify...our cruise ends with a couple of overnights in Buenos Aires and then we're flying to Iguacu for a couple of days before returning to B.A. Unfortunately, we have to be back at work on the following Monday. Just don't want to give the impression that we're not giving B.A. the attention it deserves. But staying another overnight does give us another day and a half to roam around. Certainly, three or four days aren't enough to really experience a city, but one has to make the most of whatever time one has.

• 3 months later...

Definitely get to the airport 3 hours before your flight. We flew business on United and really needed every bit of that 3 hours. unfortunately we could not check I any earlier than 3 hours before the flight which was a pain as we booked an excursion that took us from the ship that morning, occupied us all day then dropped us at the airport around 6 I beleive( we were on Azamara). Our friends flying Delta to Atlanta were able to check in right away while we had to find a bench and just sit for quite some time. All in all, a vey stressful process.

LAN is more reliable than Aerolineas Argentina but changes in flight time or cancellations due to strikes or other circumstances still occur more regularly than I would like.

You should have enough time....but as noted earlier, trip insurance is your friend.....another thought: LAN and American are both members of the One World Alliance. I have booked on American before from Iguazu to Dallas using a code share flight from Iguazu to EZE, and a regular American flight from EZE to DFW....by booking that way you build in a form of flight protection. They assume responsibility if you miss your connecting flight.

^ Agree! If you haven't already purchased your tickets, I'd sure look at that and all other options that have you flying directly into EZE from Iguazu. It doesn't make sense to inject the hassle of the domestic-international airport transfer or the cost of the additional hotel night...although who can argue with one more day in BA?! Enjoy your trip. It sounds fabulous!

we ended up booking a LAN flight back to B.A. and then staying overnight and arranging a late check out at the hotel so we could have a full extra day in B.A. (our flight home doesnt depart until 10:30pm) Our traveling companions are staying on three additional days (nice to be competely retired!). Can't wait for our trip.

we ended up booking a LAN flight back to B.A. and then staying overnight and arranging a late check out at the hotel so we could have a full extra day in B.A. (our flight home doesnt depart until 10:30pm) Our traveling companions are staying on three additional days (nice to be competely retired!). Can't wait for our trip.

Glad to hear you booked LAN and very glad you will have an extra night/day in BA....

As I have told friends who ask me about LAN vs Aerolineas Argentina:

I try to live by these simple rules

1. Smile and laugh every day.

2. You can learn from everyone

3. Admit when you are wrong and apologize.

4. Fly LAN or take the bus.

These rules have not failed me yet. :)

Archived