Montreal hotel, etc.

A friend and I are taking the HA Veendam cruise from Montreal on September 15th. We plan on arriving two days earlier to tour the city and “Old Town.” I would appreciate any suggestions for a moderately priced hotel $100 to $150 per night. I would prefer staying in Old Town, but I believe prices are much much higher. My friend was looking at the Hotel Gouveneur Place, but I have not a clue as to the location if it is near Old Town. She says it is within 5/10th of a mile. I just don’t want two gals to get in the wrong part of town. Any other suggestions would be most welcomed! Many thanks! Have posted the above on the rollcall, but only about 5 people on it at this point.

Also, Notre Dame, do they have the sound and light show in September and on what nights and at what time? I was looking forward to traveling down the St. Lawrence to view some of the "thousand islands" that I saw in my youth, but sounds like most of that will be at night. Is that so? I just thought it was all so beautiful and wanted to see it again.

Thanks for any info! Chasngirl - Charleston, SC

RC - Freedom of the Seas, March 2009 - St. Thomas,VI & St. Maarten French & Dutch -7 night

Celebrity Equinox, Feb/March 2010 - Southern Caribbean - 10 night

HA-Veendam, Sept. 15, 2012 from Montreal to Boston - 7 night

Look at the 2 Delta hotels in Montreal. The Delta Montreal is downtown and recently redecorated. Prices around $115 per night. So, too, is the Center-ville Delta also in downtown but not redecorated. My sister stayed recently in the Springhill Suites which is well-located in Old Town and has breakfast included for around $150 per night. She liked the 2 room suites.

A friend and I are taking the HA Veendam cruise from Montreal on September 15th. We plan on arriving two days earlier to tour the city and “Old Town.” I would appreciate any suggestions for a moderately priced hotel $100 to $150 per night. I would prefer staying in Old Town, but I believe prices are much much higher. My friend was looking at the Hotel Gouveneur Place, but I have not a clue as to the location if it is near Old Town. She says it is within 5/10th of a mile. I just don’t want two gals to get in the wrong part of town. Any other suggestions would be most welcomed! Many thanks! Have posted the above on the rollcall, but only about 5 people on it at this point.

Also, Notre Dame, do they have the sound and light show in September and on what nights and at what time? I was looking forward to traveling down the St. Lawrence to view some of the "thousand islands" that I saw in my youth, but sounds like most of that will be at night. Is that so? I just thought it was all so beautiful and wanted to see it again.

Old Town (Vieux Ville) is in Quebec City. If you call it "Old Town" in Montreal, we will point you toward the inter-city bus station and a three-hour drive. What we have in Montreal is called Old Montreal.

I run a B&B, so I am precluded from suggesting any hotels or B&Bs. I do host a lot of HAL people, though and many people have mentioned my B&B on here.

Staying in Old Montreal is picturesque but expensive. Staying in downtown Montreal is aseptic, if you ask me. (It's a business place). It all depends on what your budget is and what you want to see and experience. Old Montreal is like Disney in many ways... expensive land so the rents and prices are very high, but it's not a part of the city that many Montrealers actually live, we visit it, like tourists (except for some of the expensive restaurants, which we go there for.) Downtown Montreal is where we work.

Hotel des Gouverneurs Place Dupuis is to the east side of Montreal on the edge of the village, just across the street from a large city park that I wouldn't normally walk into, Parc Emilie Gamelin. While the write-up is nice, it is also the centre of the current student strike and a place where you will see a lot of transients and "pumpers". In Montreal the transients and "pumpers" won't usually bother you and I wouldn't even give them a minute of my time, but non-locals might find it more problematic. That being said, it's safe, just unsavoury.

Look at the 2 Delta hotels in Montreal. The Delta Montreal is downtown and recently redecorated. Prices around $115 per night. So' date=' too, is the Center-ville Delta also in downtown but not redecorated. My sister stayed recently in the Springhill Suites which is well-located in Old Town and has breakfast included for around $150 per night. She liked the 2 room suites.[/quote']

Thank you for the info. I think it will be Springhill Suites as I do not wish to be in downtown Montreal nor near the university. Again, thank you!

Old Town (Vieux Ville) is in Quebec City. If you call it "Old Town" in Montreal, we will point you toward the inter-city bus station and a three-hour drive. What we have in Montreal is called Old Montreal.

I run a B&B, so I am precluded from suggesting any hotels or B&Bs. I do host a lot of HAL people, though and many people have mentioned my B&B on here.

Staying in Old Montreal is picturesque but expensive. Staying in downtown Montreal is aseptic, if you ask me. (It's a business place). It all depends on what your budget is and what you want to see and experience. Old Montreal is like Disney in many ways... expensive land so the rents and prices are very high, but it's not a part of the city that many Montrealers actually live, we visit it, like tourists (except for some of the expensive restaurants, which we go there for.) Downtown Montreal is where we work.

Hotel des Gouverneurs Place Dupuis is to the east side of Montreal on the edge of the village, just across the street from a large city park that I wouldn't normally walk into, Parc Emilie Gamelin. While the write-up is nice, it is also the centre of the current student strike and a place where you will see a lot of transients and "pumpers". In Montreal the transients and "pumpers" won't usually bother you and I wouldn't even give them a minute of my time, but non-locals might find it more problematic. That being said, it's safe, just unsavoury.

Ephnaim, I appreciate your info and honesty. I have read and enjoyed some of your musings with others on the boards and had hoped you might pay a visit. I did check on your Gingerbread House, but alas you are "booked". My loss! We now have three for the trip and not wishing to be downtown nor near any unpleasantness, I've decided that Old Montreal it will be and Springhill is the choice. I've been trying to keep up with the students via the Montreal Gazette. Might you have any suggestions on a good restaurant...not fancy nor ultra expensive for dinner? By the way, what are "pumpers"? Best wishes to you and yours and many thanks again!

...I've decided that Old Montreal it will be and Springhill is the choice. ... Might you have any suggestions on a good restaurant...not fancy nor ultra expensive for dinner?

A second positive opinion of Springhill (in fact we've had good luck in all Marriott properties around Montreal).

I'm sure Ephraim will be on soon to mention restaurants - depending on how expensive 'ultra expensive' is to you maybe some of the very nice French/Quebecois restaurants might be affordable (we find Montreal is the best value place for French food in Canadian cities) like Aix, Toque, or XO. Generally when we travel we treat ourselves at dinner - none of these places are cheap, but they are good value for the quality (check the menus on the links for exact prices).

They do all *look* fancy, but I was seated no problem wearing a regular shirt or even t-shirt & khakis and treated extremely well by the staff (especially at XO - as soon as I mentioned my diabetes the waiter immediately began offering off-menu alternative dishes). All three are also very Anglophone-friendly - which Montreal generally is anyway - if that's a potential issue for you.

For a not-at-all-French-but-damn-good breakfast/lunch option, I could not recommend Le Gros Jambon diner enough - I ended up going back from breakfast 3 of the 4 days I was in town, the staff and food are fantastic.

All of these would be a pleasant walk through old town, less than a kilometer from Springhill Suites.

We stayed at Auberge Vieux-Port and loved it! It's in an old warehouse, right on the main street facing the port. Exposed stone and brick walls, wide plank floors (some a little sloped), lots of charm. Despite being an old building, it had a very up-to-date bathroom. I would stay there again, no question. (Don't remember what it cost, sorry)

Notre Dame does have the sound and light program into the fall, but not every weekend. They weren't doing it the weekend we were there (Oct), so we missed it. In addition to the Basilica, see the "other " Notre Dame, Notre Dame de Bonsecoeurs. (hope I spelled it right) We also went to the archaeology museum and found it fascinating.

I'm afraid you won't see the Thousand Islands. That's west/upstream of Montreal.

The "cruise terminal" at Montreal is not great. "Cow shed" is a kind description and our checkin for Maasdam last fall was chaotic. Unless you're desperately curious to get on board in a hurry, enjoy the town a bit longer and board toward the end of the boarding period.

Ephraim, I appreciate your info and honesty. I have read and enjoyed some of your musings with others on the boards and had hoped you might pay a visit. I did check on your Gingerbread Manor, but alas you are "booked". My loss! We now have three for the trip and not wishing to be downtown nor near any unpleasantness, I've decided that Old Montreal it will be and Springhill is the choice. I've been trying to keep up with the students via the Montreal Gazette. Might you have any suggestions on a good restaurant...not fancy nor ultra expensive for dinner? By the way, what are "pumpers"? Best wishes to you and yours and many thanks again!

Well, it's slang and I used it to be nice... see http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/pumpers

The worst word you can use to ask for a restaurant in Montreal is the "French" because it essentially means nothing. Just because we speak French doesn't make us French, just as Americans speak English and that doesn't make them English. We aren't French and we aren't France and while our tourist bureau stupidly advertises that way, it isn't us at all. We are definitely North American but we also have joie de vivre instead of joie d'etre as most places in North America.

That being said, French breaks down so many ways that it only serves to confuse: Bistro, bouchon, brasserie, cafe, restaurant. Are we looking for the old style of food (think Julia Child) or are we looking for nouvelle cuisine. Or are we actually just looking at the style of cooking but really want Quebecois restaurant. Or do you want local Quebec or Montreal food, low end (down home cooking or high end cuisine?) See what it means absolutely NOTHING to us at all?

That being said, my suggestions (almost off of which will need reservations) ... Chez Chose on St. Denis, Robert Martin is the owner and he not only uses local ingredients, the chef is his daughter in law. His menu is written on slate and he will bring it to you and explain everything. But be aware that Montrealers have a tendency to go to restaurants for the things we don't cook at home, so don't be surprised to see caribou, rabbit or even duck on the menu. Beaver Hall on Beaver Hall Hill for gourmet bistro. L'Express is the most famous of the bistros in Montreal, but not someplace you will find me... I usually don't find bistro interesting, since the intent is a small restaurant serving simple meals... stuff I can do at home. Steak... Gibby's or the Keg, though the Keg is a chain. Fish would be Andiamo which, like Beaver Hall is an offshoot of Europea, one of the best (and expensive restaurants in town.) I strongly suggest Pintxo's, which is just up the street from me which serves Basque tapas, but I would call this Quebec food, since they us local ingredients with the Basque tapas theme.

Montreal specialties.... Smoked Meat, my suggestion would be Schwartz's, don't order lean, get a black cherry soda as well and maybe a pickle or tomato and some fries. Patati Patata or La Banquise for poutine and never over order poutine, it can't be kept for another day, there is no way to warm it up. Romado's for Portuguese chicken, St-Hubert for rotisserie chicken, but if you want the real deal in the original atmosphere then Chalet Barbecue on Sherbrooke, cheap meal and they haven't updated the restaurant since they opened in the 50s. Kazu for Japanese Isakaya. Qua Hau Dumpling for dumplings. Kam Fung for dim sum. Le comptoir for upscale bistro and maybe Laloux for white table bistro.

In Old Montreal, besides Gibby's, there is Stash for Polish food, Olive & Gourmando for lunch, Brit&Chips for fish and chips, and I assume that Muvbox will likely be open at that time for Lobster rolls.

Don't ask me for breakfast suggestions, the best place for breakfast... you already told me was fully booked ;)

Try to see if the Institute de Hotelerie is available, it's in the plateau and will give you more of a Montreal feeling than anything in Old Montreal will.

Well, it's slang and I used it to be nice... see http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/pumpers

The worst word you can use to ask for a restaurant in Montreal is the "French" because it essentially means nothing. Just because we speak French doesn't make us French, just as Americans speak English and that doesn't make them English. We aren't French and we aren't France and while our tourist bureau stupidly advertises that way, it isn't us at all. We are definitely North American but we also have joie de vivre instead of joie d'etre as most places in North America.

That being said, French breaks down so many ways that it only serves to confuse: Bistro, bouchon, brasserie, cafe, restaurant. Are we looking for the old style of food (think Julia Child) or are we looking for nouvelle cuisine. Or are we actually just looking at the style of cooking but really want Quebecois restaurant. Or do you want local Quebec or Montreal food, low end (down home cooking or high end cuisine?) See what it means absolutely NOTHING to us at all?

That being said, my suggestions (almost off of which will need reservations) ... Chez Chose on St. Denis, Robert Martin is the owner and he not only uses local ingredients, the chef is his daughter in law. His menu is written on slate and he will bring it to you and explain everything. But be aware that Montrealers have a tendency to go to restaurants for the things we don't cook at home, so don't be surprised to see caribou, rabbit or even duck on the menu. Beaver Hall on Beaver Hall Hill for gourmet bistro. L'Express is the most famous of the bistros in Montreal, but not someplace you will find me... I usually don't find bistro interesting, since the intent is a small restaurant serving simple meals... stuff I can do at home. Steak... Gibby's or the Keg, though the Keg is a chain. Fish would be Andiamo which, like Beaver Hall is an offshoot of Europea, one of the best (and expensive restaurants in town.) I strongly suggest Pintxo's, which is just up the street from me which serves Basque tapas, but I would call this Quebec food, since they us local ingredients with the Basque tapas theme.

Montreal specialties.... Smoked Meat, my suggestion would be Schwartz's, don't order lean, get a black cherry soda as well and maybe a pickle or tomato and some fries. Patati Patata or La Banquise for poutine and never over order poutine, it can't be kept for another day, there is no way to warm it up. Romado's for Portuguese chicken, St-Hubert for rotisserie chicken, but if you want the real deal in the original atmosphere then Chalet Barbecue on Sherbrooke, cheap meal and they haven't updated the restaurant since they opened in the 50s. Kazu for Japanese Isakaya. Qua Hau Dumpling for dumplings. Kam Fung for dim sum. Le comptoir for upscale bistro and maybe Laloux for white table bistro.

In Old Montreal, besides Gibby's, there is Stash for Polish food, Olive & Gourmando for lunch, Brit&Chips for fish and chips, and I assume that Muvbox will likely be open at that time for Lobster rolls.

Don't ask me for breakfast suggestions, the best place for breakfast... you already told me was fully booked ;)

Try to see if the Institute de Hotelerie is available, it's in the plateau and will give you more of a Montreal feeling than anything in Old Montreal will.

Ephraim, you are a fountain of information and a real “hoot”! That is a good term. I would have never guessed the meaning of the slang term “pumper”. It now makes sense, but I had a feeling I would not wish to be in the vicinity of one of those. LOL

I do have some French blood in me. Some of my ancestors were French Huguenots that fled to this area in the late 1600’s and early 1700’s In fact, my middle name is Gautier…which could have been changed from Boudet, not sure..But, first I’m a good ole Southerner, Carolina Girl, an American from Charleston, South Carolina in the United States of America. So much for my origins!

As far as food goes, I’ll tell you what I don’t want………horse meat! I want to make absolutely sure it never enters my mouth unknowingly. That unfortunately happened to me in Paris back in 1965 at a McDonald’s. I had ordered a hamburger only to find it was raw meat inside and was also horsemeat! Horrors! Fortunately, I had only taken one bite when I was informed. Ruined me for the rest of the evening. I’m a horse lover! Speaking of horses, my friend and I traveled over to Atlanta, Georgia twice to see two shows - Cavalia and then this year Odysseo. Magnificent shows and magnificent horses! They are headquartered in Montreal and at this time they are doing shows in Toronto. Don’t know if they’ll be finished touring by September. Are you familiar with them? Would love to see their training area if they open that to the public. Do you know????

Back to food. Institute de Hotelerie is that near the university? Don’t wish to get near the student unrest. You have given me much to research, but really I’m not into fancy eating. Good home cooking, good beef, good seafood, etc. I want to be able to look at it and know what I’m eating. My favorite meal is……you guessed it………breakfast! Sorry I’ll miss your cooking up them waffles, blueberry pancakes, sausages. etc.. I’m sure the conversation over breakfast would be fascinating and that would be missed most of all! Thank you again for sharing your knowledge. You are a real gem! Chasngirl...........Suzanne

Cunard – Queen Mary – Summer of 1965 (next to last voyage) Atlantic Crossing – both ways for European Tour (forgot to add this earlier)

RC - Freedom of the Seas, March 2009 - St. Thomas,VI & St. Maarten French & Dutch -7 night

To MARTINCATH:

Thank you for all the suggestions for eats. Since I will be missing Ephraim's breakfast, I'll be sure to check out your breakfast suggestion which I could eat 3 times a day!LOL A breakfast buffet is included with our Springhill stay so will try it for lunch. Decisions, decisions for dinner. We are looking forward to our Montreal visit and our cruise to Boston. Thank you again. Chasngirl

Cunard – Queen Mary – Summer of 1965 (next to last voyage) Atlantic Crossing – both ways for European Tour (forgot to add this earlier)

We stayed at Auberge Vieux-Port and loved it! It's in an old warehouse, right on the main street facing the port. Exposed stone and brick walls, wide plank floors (some a little sloped), lots of charm. Despite being an old building, it had a very up-to-date bathroom. I would stay there again, no question. (Don't remember what it cost, sorry)

Notre Dame does have the sound and light program into the fall, but not every weekend. They weren't doing it the weekend we were there (Oct), so we missed it. In addition to the Basilica, see the "other " Notre Dame, Notre Dame de Bonsecoeurs. (hope I spelled it right) We also went to the archaeology museum and found it fascinating.

I'm afraid you won't see the Thousand Islands. That's west/upstream of Montreal.

The "cruise terminal" at Montreal is not great. "Cow shed" is a kind description and our checkin for Maasdam last fall was chaotic. Unless you're desperately curious to get on board in a hurry, enjoy the town a bit longer and board toward the end of the boarding period.

Thank you for the don't miss Montreal sites. Notre Dame was #1 one on our list. The one thing I am sick over is missing the Thousand Islands. I just wasn't thinking about location just knew it was up in that area! Brain was sleeping. LOL I was very young on my last visit, but oh it was so wonderful and beautiful. Well guess this means I'll have to, hopefully, make another trip to upper New York to visit as I would like to do that trip one more time before I leave this earth.

I do have to laugh at your "cruise terminal" name "Cow shed". Sounds pretty much like Charleston's old cruise terminal which will soon be renovated. Lot of fighting going back and forth over even having a cruise ship visit Charleston and be right in the historic area. Polution, noise, etc. They wouldn't know what to do if they didn't have something to bicker about!;)

Thanks again for the info. I think I'll start a notebook with all the places and tips all of you have been so nice enough to share. We are really looking forward to our visit to Montreal and to the cruise. I'm just not looking forward to flying. Haven't flown in 30 years. Can you buy Bloody Mary's with four olives/celery with Old Bay seasoning on the rim? When I last flew it was still civil and one was dresssed up. I'll need something to settle my nerves on the flight! Take care.

We have no interest in improving the cow shed at all... beside the fact that it belongs to the federal government (which means Montreal can't do anything about it, anyway) there aren't enough cruisers to worry about considering the size of the city and the amount of tourists coming by plane, train, bus and automobile.

Institute de Hotelerie is about a block away from me. Not far from anything. The students are a minor concern. They walk all over downtown, but it's really not something to be overly concerned with. Just walk in the opposite direction if you see the revolting students... you don't know where they will be, but they definitely congregate at the park Emilie Gamelin.

If you are flying a decent airline, they won't have Old Bay seasoning... none of the Canadian airlines do. :)

As for Aix Cuisine de Terroir, it's a nice restaurant but uneven in service. Toque is one of the most expensive restaurants in Montreal and it can be fantastic on a good night, but when I was there, the dishes didn't really flow from one to the other and we were disappointed considering how much we spent... but his foie gras was spectacular, Brasserie T! is his brasserie version, with better prices and a more bistro menu, the location is spectacular. I would suggest Europea over Toque if you were going to spend the money. Now if you have an big budget and want to try Molecular Cuisine, then LaurieRaphael is the place, but again it's a matter of budget. Never been to XO. There is also Ferrera who's Portuguese kitchen is exceptional. His less expensive version is F Bar which is run by chef Gilles Herzog, which has a spectacular location (next to Brasserie T!) and a wonderful menu, though we were disappointed with dessert.

You are unlikely to be served horse in a restaurant in Montreal, although it's usually available in supermarkets. I've only ever seen it on the menu in one or two restaurants. There are also one or two restaurants in town that serve seal as well (which is fun to say in French... Phoque, but that's off-topic.) And I only know one restaurant where the chef serves kangaroo, because it is definitely something you need to know how to cook. You are more likely to see bison (misnamed buffalo often,) caribou, wapiti, dear, rabbit, ostrich and duck. And you will likely also see some things like ris de veau (veal sweetbreads), marrow and bavette (flank steak) around. And certainly there are many restaurants in town that serve tartare and it's wonderful! But it's usually beef, bison or salmon.

You didn't mention Garde Manger or Le Bremner, the restaurants of Chuck Hughes... both of which I would only suggest to younger diners, since the restaurants are like his personality, loud and jumping. But then

To MARTINCATH:

Thank you for all the suggestions for eats. Since I will be missing Ephraim's breakfast, I'll be sure to check out your breakfast suggestion which I could eat 3 times a day!LOL A breakfast buffet is included with our Springhill stay so will try it for lunch. Decisions, decisions for dinner. We are looking forward to our Montreal visit and our cruise to Boston. Thank you again. Chasngirl

No problem. Don't skip your free breakfast at Springhill - hit Le Gros Jambon for lunch (they'll still serve your their awesome home-smoked ham & bacon, but also add interesting mac & cheese and various other 'classic diner dishes with a little twist of modernity') as well.

I'm not going to quibble with any of Ephraim's notes - as an occasional tourist I'll never build the depth of coverage he has of local dining. The only places we've been frequently enough to comment on the consistency of service are Au Pied de Cochon & Schwartz' - the latter having always the same slightly surly but extremely quick service, the former being consistently passionate and efficient except on our most recent visit (a brand-new hostess sat us at the wrong table so we were asked to move and our new waiter was efficient but seemed more suited to the Keg than APDC).

As to the regional specificity of 'French' Ephraim - I hear you. But every time I try to get too detailed about any regional cuisine it seems to just confuse most folks further. I'm sure most of your guests, at least your first-timers before you have a chance to educate them, just ask you where they can get good 'French' food:D My personal dining philosophy ties in very well with the Montreal view - I also prefer when eating out to choose food that's tricky or time consuming to cook myself at home, or just hard to find good quality ingredients for if you don't buy in bulk. Never understood why people pay a fortune for beef steaks in restos...

If your objection to the horse-burger was strictly about it being horse, rather than too much meat or too raw, you might enjoy APDC Chasngirl - it seems to provoke love or hate, with it's uniquely 'trash meets treasure' menu. They handle tartare & carpaccio very well, but it's the offal we go there for. Personally I love horse, especially tartare - and as a professed horse lover, wouldn't you rather the dead ones be used to make people happy instead of turned into glue??? ;)

Pintxo gets a thumbs up from me too - never met a Basque resto I didn't like, and the shared plate/tapa dining style is something we're particularly fond of.

If you happen to know which local restos consistently have seal on the menu Ephraim, and the best times for availability, I'd love to give that a try next time - in Ontario & BC you can't *sell* meat unless it's farmed and unfortunately all the hunters I've met have enough people clamouring for gifts of seal, bear & moose meat that I've never been able to try any fresh.

If you happen to know which local restos consistently have seal on the menu Ephraim, and the best times for availability, I'd love to give that a try next time - in Ontario & BC you can't *sell* meat unless it's farmed and unfortunately all the hunters I've met have enough people clamouring for gifts of seal, bear & moose meat that I've never been able to try any fresh.

We have the same restriction on hunters in Quebec, they aren't allowed to sell their catch. So most of the time the meat is farmed. Seal from aboriginals though falls through a different crack. But we have some interesting farmers in this province... there is a farm that we go by that seems to be the "last stop" for many and we've seen ostriches, yaks, caribou, deer and bison.

Au Cinquieme Peche generally has seal in an appetizer. He's well known for it and he's done a lot of experimentation. Carte Blanche also has it. Always check the menu ahead of time to ensure that it is on the menu that week. It isn't 100% of the time. Seal steak is usually served rare, is very dark burgundy and almost entirely fat-free.

I find that APdC has great service until coffee time, then it just dies! Last time we were there I swear I wanted to club the waiter, get my own coffee and bill and pay, just so that I could get out of there and go for a walk. For Montrealers, APdC is a winter restaurant... so if you go out of season you really NEED that walk, or you end up in a food coma.

One good trick is to stay in the city called Longueuil. It is actually just across the ( very narrow, a bridge lenth) river from Old Montreal. Much less expensive, from there you get a great view of Old Montreal and some hotels are right where the metro station is so you get to old Montreal in just a few minutes. Between Longueuil and Montreal there is even a station that is on the island where the Montreal Casino is. A nice place to walk around the Casino ( gardens etc) in September.

You can look at this one : http://www.sandmanhotels.ca/hotels/montreal-longueuil/

Bienvenue à Montreal !

Archived