Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 v. Fujifilm finepix Xp30

Missjamis3

Trying to decide between 2 underwater cameras for my cruise in 19 days. I have been looking at the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 for around $160, and the Fujifilm finepix Xp30 for around $130. Do any of you have them, and have pictures or videos from them?

Trying to decide between 2 underwater cameras for my cruise in 19 days. I have been looking at the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 for around $160, and the Fujifilm finepix Xp30 for around $130. Do any of you have them, and have pictures or videos from them?

There is a website, Steve's Digicams, that reviews hundreds of cameras after testing them in several different ways. Both of these cameras are popular cameras so it wouldn't surprise me to find reviews for one or both of them on that site.

Here is a link to Steve's Digicams:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Hope this is helpful info. Also bear in mind that there are other sites providing much the same review info although I have been relying on Steve's for well over a decade.

:):):)

I just checked and Steve's has a review of the Stylus Tough 810 (TG-810) which was done on February 23 of this year. Didn't see anything on the TG-8010.

:):confused::)

Take a look at the Panasonic offerings. I know that most of them are in a higher price range but the ts20 looks to go for around $170.00.

We bought a TS-2 a few years back when it was the top underwater camera and have been extremely happy with it since. From what I see, the ts-20 is similar but has a little lower specs as far as depth and such.

The point that swung me to the Panasonics was that in adition to taking good underwater pictures, the above water pictures were also very good. Similar to a normal point and shoot. The video on the Panasonics is AVCHD as well which is far superior to Mjpeg.

As I mentioned we have gotten years out of our cam with the original seals. The way to do that is to be meticoulos (sp) about cleaning the seal every time you close it. Even if you have not been using it at the beach. The smallest grain of sand or foreign material can warp the rubber seal if it is shut and left in for a while. I just take a q-tip and wipe around it and the plastic it contacts with on the body every time. Still goes down to 30ft with no leaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Below is a link to my Flickr albums. In the "Cruising" collection, about 1/2 the 34th anniversary cruise pictures, and all the 35th anniversary cruise pictures, as well as the SCA pictures, were taken with the 8010. The SCA indoor pics were mostly taken with full zoom and no flash (on the sports setting).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13678200@N07/collections/1/

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from my usual May trip to Key West. I finally encountered one of these who wasn't in too much of a hurry to have his picture taken:

ry%3D400

A few years ago it was rare to see these while snorkeling but they seem to be making a comeback.

Pjk

Archived