Tips Dish for after-dinner mints etc

RMLincoln

Is it possible the dish was meant for something like used toothpicks and someone placed money in it not realizing what it was for? On a "cashless" ship, a tip jar or plate seems like an odd thing to have.

I think you are correct.

I would guess the Steward was not present, a guest helped themselves, saw the dish and

chose to leave a 'tip'. :D

I've always mentioned to the stewards that begging for high scores from me is the quickest way to not get a high score. It usually puts a stop to it immediately. I explain that I am aware of their need for higher scores and that I am easy to please (I really am! :)) and that they will they get an excellent score for expected service. And, I do follow through, in other ways as well.

I also will mention on the surveys we receive that I really find it awful that the cruise lines' policy puts these hardworking men and women in a position to beg for scores. It happens across all lines we've been on, even when we haven't received a survey. :confused:

I've never seen a tip dish on board any ship we've been on, but I can't say I've ever really tried to find one (not to say others have).

Interesting view of the request for positive feedback. My drugstore chain sometimes does this and I believe Olive Garden recently asked for feedback in this fashion. I merely smile noncommittally and murmur, "oh, really?" then just don't provide feedback if I feel the service was unremarkable. If it's really bad I'm going to deal with it right then and there. And if it's really exceptional I'm going to do both-compliment right then and there to the server, his manager, and later on the feedback form.

I have the belief that you can ask for whatever you want. What you GET from me is totally up to me, and all your asking won't change that.

Were you on the upper or lower level of the dining room?

We were on the same cruise, weren't we? April 6 - 16. As I recall, you did Collectors and we did only the ten day.

We were on upper level of the dining room, dined there 6 nights of the ten and never saw the tip dish. I don't ever have anything from the cart but often DH stops for something. Almost every night, the cart was there but there was no Yum Yum present. The cart was not 'manned'.

I never saw a tip dish and am soooo soooo sure I would remember had I seen that.

It is possible, you saw it on nights we were not in the MDR...... actually, I just remembered, we were on the lower level of the dining room dining at an Officer's Table the last formal night.

Yes, Sail our cruises overlapped. We began on March 23 and exited April 27th. The first leg we had open dining, lower level. The second leg we were on upper level early, same for the third leg.

I think I saw the dish (a pewter looking bowl about 5" across) on the third leg. I wish I had taken a photo of it but was rather stunned to see it. (I wouldn't know how to post photos anyway.)

One night it had money in it but twice I saw it on subsequent nights and it was empty. Maybe it was just an anomoly? Maybe it's there for toothpick wrappers and somebody put a few dollars in it? It just hit me a so wierd, and a bit disturbing and inappropriate. Who carries cash to the dining room anyway?

I'm glad to hear that others haven't seen this and now I'm beginning to believe it was an anomoly and not a new pattern. I feel somewhat relieved. Thank you all for your thoughts. m--

Archived