My Carnival Victory review 4/1-4/8/2012 (Long with lots of pix!)

amsanjuantourandfly112_edited-1.jpg

amsanjuantourandfly111_edited-1.jpg

amsanjuantourandfly116_edited-1.jpg

However, while they hung on for longer than I thought they would, the kids finally began to hint (not too subtlely) that they were bored and it was time to get back to the hotel. I just don’t think they’re at that age yet where they can take too much culture. Little doses.

As we walked back to the hotel, we noticed storm clouds off in the distance, which made for an interesting view from where we were, but signaled delays for later in the day.

amsanjuantourandfly117_edited-1.jpg

While our flight did indeed end up running behind, it wasn’t too bad. We landed in Philadelphia shortly after 7 pm, and were home, fed and in our beds by 10:30 pm.

And 17-year-old DD experienced one of the harsh realities of life for the first time. She called in and was told she had to work the next night.

Yep, the vacation was over.

Thanks for following along on our cruise!

Thank you so much for this review I have been reading it all along. We are on the victory on July 8th and also staying post cruise at the Sheraton. I am hoping to be lucky like you and be able to check in early. I know you haven't finished the review but any recommendations of restaurants in old San Juan? (breakfast, lunch, or dinner)

I hope the rest of the review gave you a few ideas of where to eat. We've also eaten at Ajili Mojili, on Ashford Avenue, but that's outside of the old city. Very good, but a bit more on the expensive side.

Did you book the Segway tour on line prior tithe cruise? About how much is the tour and each Segway. I'm very interested in trying this tour prior to our cruise. Easier to get around in the heat. Looks like fun!

We did sign up ahead of time. They have two tours - a 45 min one for $42 and a two-hour one for $84. We did the two hour one and I would definitely recommend this one. Even after all that time, we still wanted to keep going!! It's a huge amount of fun riding the machines, a very informative tour and a good way to see some of the old city without walking in the heat.

Here's the link for it: http://www.segwaytourspr.com/segwaytours_guidedtours.html

I just LOVE your sad faced pix!! I have taken those too!! Thanks for sharing them....my morning started off with a 'chuckle'!! You made my day.... I can relate to that same feeling. I can't believe they are really making me leave!! My day to board the Victory is getting closer! One week from today!! Yippee!! Again, THANKS for sharing your cruise with everyone... ;)

Yeah, the kids always insist on taking a picture like that at the end! I'm glad I could help you pass the time until you leave. Thanks so much for reading. Have fun on your trip, come back and do your own review! Everyone's experience is fun to read about because it is different and everyone has something new to add.

Now I can not wait for August to get here! Thanks!

Keep reading all those review - you will be sailing before you know it! Glad to help!

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us. When I was on the Victory in 2008, I don't rember the Serenity area. It looks very nice. Is it for suite guests only?

It was just put in within the last year or so, I believe. It's the adults-only section of the ship. No one under 21 (which didn't sit too well with DD; she's just about 18 and was hoping she'd make it. Nope! :p) Very cushy and nice - with a water spray area and pillows - if only you can snag a seat.

Awesome

Thanks! It's so nice to hear that people like my review!

OK first thanks for sharing all these memories with us.

I love you detailed review,lots of info and just the correct amount.

I love you food pics. Made me hungry :-)

I love all of your pics.

I love how your family and yourself are so positive it just shows on your faces.

I love the Victory

I love your family.

OK I did use the word love alot but this is what transpired the most from your review. The love and respect you have for each other it was just beautiful to read and see. You guys continue like this you make such a nice family.

Wow! I'm so glad you liked my review that much! Just right, not too wordy? Always one of my biggest concerns! I love the Victory, too.

And I am really lucky to have such a family! Except like now, that they are nagging me now as to when our next cruise will be!! Augh! :eek:

Best review yet! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this all together for us :D Your pictures are awesome as well! We've just booked with Calabaza in Barbados for October, and we're so looking forward to it I can hardly stand to wait another 5 months! We'd probably never have heard of them if it hadn't been for your review - so thank you :D

I already booked with Gina on the Calabaza in Barbados in July, very excited. I also booked the Segway for 2 hours pre-cruise. I can't wait. We have a family friend attending medical school in SXK and she made arrangements with the medical school driver for a private tour of SXK. We will rent a car and visit friends in SXM since we are very familiar with the island. The only islands, SXL and SXT I still need to make plans. I would like to take a ferry or a catarmaran to St. Johns and spend time at trunk bay....any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Not sure about St. Lucia yet. Thanks so much for the fantastic review and pictures. I told GINA that I read about this trip on your post in cc. They sound wonderful!

Your review was absolutely wonderful! We are leaving on this cruise in 62 days (not that I am counting). My two oldest (20 DD and 15 DS) have cruised one other time 7 years ago, but this will be the first cruise for our youngest (8 DS) and I can't wait to experience cruising through his eyes!

Thank you so much for giving me a peak at what we can expect from Carnival as we have not sailed them yet. My DH and I have done Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, and we were a little unsure of Carnival, but felt it would fit the children nicely. The serenity area looks like a nice place for my girlfriend (we are cruising with a couple from my High School days that we are still very good friends with and their two children) and I to escape!

Once again, Thank you!

Very pretty picture of the Victory in port!!

Thanks! As I said before with another night picture, this one was also sent through Photoshop. :o I'm still working on night shots!

What time was your flight scheduled to leave San Juan? How long did it take from leaving the hotel until you got to the gate?

We weren't set to leave until 2:40, but hotel checkout was at 11 am. We checked out about 15 minutes late (no penalty), took a 25 minute cab ride to the airport, sent our stuff through USDA, then checked in at the airline desk and checked our luggage.

We then had a leisurely bite to eat before we went through the airport security. There was a Chester's fast food chicken place (kinda like KFC) there that wasn't too bad. Most of the other available food inside the security area was snacks and boxed lunches. SJ airport stinks for food!!

We got through security in about 15 minutes, got some quick snacks and drinks for the plane ride, and had about an hour and a half or so to wait.

Loved your review! Thanks again for sharing :D

Thanks! I had a blast re-living it all over again as I wrote it!

Best review yet! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this all together for us :D Your pictures are awesome as well! We've just booked with Calabaza in Barbados for October, and we're so looking forward to it I can hardly stand to wait another 5 months! We'd probably never have heard of them if it hadn't been for your review - so thank you :D

Ooooh, will you be getting really cold there in Manitoba by October? Bet you'll seriously be looking forward to the cruise by that time! Hang in there until then!!

Glad you enjoyed the review! And I love that I could help you out with an excursion!! (Maybe I should ask for a commission? :p) You'll have a blast, I'm sure.

I already booked with Gina on the Calabaza in Barbados in July, very excited. I also booked the Segway for 2 hours pre-cruise. I can't wait. We have a family friend attending medical school in SXK and she made arrangements with the medical school driver for a private tour of SXK. We will rent a car and visit friends in SXM since we are very familiar with the island. The only islands, SXL and SXT I still need to make plans. I would like to take a ferry or a catarmaran to St. Johns and spend time at trunk bay....any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Not sure about St. Lucia yet. Thanks so much for the fantastic review and pictures. I told GINA that I read about this trip on your post in cc. They sound wonderful!

I'm so glad you told Gina about my review! I had told Danny I was going to write one. They really went above and beyond. And you booked Segway, too? So cool!!! My first time with them, I had a pre-cruise excursion, and it went great. (I was on RCCL at the time.) Glad if I helped persuade you!

It's great that you can have someone take you around SXK personally. I wouldn't mind visiting just that island in the future. I know DD was very interested in the school there - too bad she doesn't want to go into medicine. :p It was the surroundings that held such interest for her, I think.

Ideas for St. Thomas? Well, two of the times I went there, I did a catamaran sail and snorkel over to just off the coast of St. John (with both RC and Carnival), but it wasn't Trunk Bay. It was beautiful sailing there and back, and the snorkeling wasn't too bad. Depends on what exactly you are looking for.

I also did a dolphin swim in Tortola, leaving from St. Thomas, and while I had fun, it was not something I would do again. Too crowded. Sorry I can't be more positive! I guess the most recent helmet trek was my best experience yet on this island.

Your review was absolutely wonderful! We are leaving on this cruise in 62 days (not that I am counting). My two oldest (20 DD and 15 DS) have cruised one other time 7 years ago, but this will be the first cruise for our youngest (8 DS) and I can't wait to experience cruising through his eyes!

Thank you so much for giving me a peak at what we can expect from Carnival as we have not sailed them yet. My DH and I have done Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, and we were a little unsure of Carnival, but felt it would fit the children nicely. The serenity area looks like a nice place for my girlfriend (we are cruising with a couple from my High School days that we are still very good friends with and their two children) and I to escape!

Once again, Thank you!

You're so welcome! I had fun with it.

I think that your youngest will have a blast, with this particular cruise being his first. I bet he'll be like a kid in a candy store!! Actually, they all might be. :D Soooo much to see and do! And regardless of age, don't forget those afternoon naps - I don't think any of us could have functioned so well without at least a few!

I've only done two of those cruise lines - Royal and Carnival - but I think in most ways they are more alike than they are different. Some of the Carnival ships might not have as many bells and whistles as Royal, but for most of the itineraries we like, Carnival is less expensive, which is why we have been sailing them more.

And yeah, the Serenity was nice. Hot, but very relaxing!! Enjoy!!

Thanks for a great review!

Really glad you liked it! :)

hi scraphappylady - I did those hybrid scrapbook pages we talked about, but I don't know how to let you see them... I think they turned out good! :)

I'm glad they turned out well for you. Ever since you mentioned it, I've been thinking about trying some. I think I have a good idea of how to do it, from your description. If you think of a way to post them, please do! And thanks for the idea! :)

-Cathy

Thanks for the review, we did those ports a couple years ago and loved them. We are booked on the Victory when it moves back to Miami. I only wish you had more ship shots :p like oh say deck 9 forward the outside, we are booked in one of the inside cabins with the window that looks over deck 9. OK going to check out your other Victory review.... nice way to start it lol snow :( the reason we cruise in the winter!!

We weren't set to leave until 2:40, but hotel checkout was at 11 am. We checked out about 15 minutes late (no penalty), took a 25 minute cab ride to the airport, sent our stuff through USDA, then checked in at the airline desk and checked our luggage.

We then had a leisurely bite to eat before we went through the airport security. There was a Chester's fast food chicken place (kinda like KFC) there that wasn't too bad. Most of the other available food inside the security area was snacks and boxed lunches. SJ airport stinks for food!!

We got through security in about 15 minutes, got some quick snacks and drinks for the plane ride, and had about an hour and a half or so to wait.

ok thanks. Our flight isn't until 3:40pm and I was going to do a Carnival excursion just to pass the time, maybe see the rainforest and be dropped off a the airport.

Thanks for the heads up about the food establishments at SJU, that info will come in handy!

For St. Lucia, I found that the only private tours available are all day tours. If you check out Carnival's excursion list you'll see zip-lining, Piton hike, snorkeling, tram ride over the Rainforest, mud bath, etc. I didn't find any private tours that provided tours other than a full day so as an alternative, or to help choose something, look at Carnival's excursion list. We decided on the excurion, Snorkel at the Pitons, because it's a half day (afternoon) tour via boat, which means you can get to the Pitons in 45 minutes, as opposed to twice as long if you drove there.

If going to St. Thomas, you definately need to check out St. John. St. John is beautiful, we are also taking the ship's tour there because I'm traveling with 5 other people and there is no way I can corral them all up and take a taxi, then the ferry, then another taxi. Besides, half our group loves the beach, the other half doesn't like the beach. So Carnival offers 2 excursions to St. John, an island tour and a snorkel tour at Trunk Bay. They both leave and return at the same time, you are split up once you reach Cruz Bay in St. John. We booked that because I couldn't find any private tour operators in St. John and don't want to wait until I get there to figure something out.

scraphappylady- How was the snorkeling at Little Divi Bay Resort? DH and I are interested in doing the same thing with Margot in the morning and a beach in the afternoon. We are not interested in the planes either so this might be a good match for us.

Archived