Before I Book, Can You Help Me With a Few Questions?

emya

Hello! We've been invited to join friends of the family on the 6/11/13 Carnival Miracle cruise to Alaska. They provided their travel agent's name and number, along with a booking number to be added to the group. According to my dad, he was given no incentive when booking through this travel agent. I've only cruised once, through Disney Cruise Line, but even booking ourselves online, they offered $25 OBC. Is there a similar incentive for booking Carnival cruises? And do we have to book through the same travel agent to be part of the group reservation, and be able to sit with everyone at dinner, or is the booking number enough to get us added to the group?

The other problem I'm having is that I'm trying to get pregnant. There's a good chance I will either be pregnant or have a child by next summer, in which case I'd either want to, or have to, cancel. I read Carnival's policy that pregnant women can only cruise if 25 weeks or under with a doctor's note, and children under 6 months can't cruise at all. I'm fine with that. It looks like they recommend getting travel insurance in case of cancellations. Any thoughts?

Speaking of children, my sister and her daughter might be joining us. My niece will be 18 months old by the time of the cruise. I can't figure out if they charge a full fare for children that young or not. When booking online, they ask you how many people in a cabin, but not the ages, which makes me think they charge the full amount. Or do you just not include a baby on the number of people? I'm sort of confused, and couldn't find the answer on Carnival's website.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello! We've been invited to join friends of the family on the 6/11/13 Carnival Miracle cruise to Alaska. They provided their travel agent's name and number, along with a booking number to be added to the group. According to my dad, he was given no incentive when booking through this travel agent. I've only cruised once, through Disney Cruise Line, but even booking ourselves online, they offered $25 OBC. Is there a similar incentive for booking Carnival cruises? And do we have to book through the same travel agent to be part of the group reservation, and be able to sit with everyone at dinner, or is the booking number enough to get us added to the group?

The other problem I'm having is that I'm trying to get pregnant. There's a good chance I will either be pregnant or have a child by next summer, in which case I'd either want to, or have to, cancel. I read Carnival's policy that pregnant women can only cruise if 25 weeks or under with a doctor's note, and children under 6 months can't cruise at all. I'm fine with that. It looks like they recommend getting travel insurance in case of cancellations. Any thoughts?

Speaking of children, my sister and her daughter might be joining us. My niece will be 18 months old by the time of the cruise. I can't figure out if they charge a full fare for children that young or not. When booking online, they ask you how many people in a cabin, but not the ages, which makes me think they charge the full amount. Or do you just not include a baby on the number of people? I'm sort of confused, and couldn't find the answer on Carnival's website.

Thanks in advance for your help.

No, you do not have to use their agent. Just book however you like and have the bookings linked.

With the pregnancy/baby. I would not book early saver. I do not use insurance so I know nothing about that.

A baby is charged full fare just like any other person.. I believe 3 rd and 4 th person in cabin is a little bit of a discount.

Do not book early saver or allow them to talk you into it. The deposit is nonrefundable and you should not book it if you might cancel. You can always switch later closer to the cruise.

If a TA did not offer me a cash incentive to book, I would book direct. I love my PVP at Carnival who is da best. I can call anyone at Carnival if the price drops (or with ES do it myself). You give up all control if you book with the TA. People seem to forget that they cannot call Carnival if they have problems if they book with a TA.

You can all book with whomever you want. yes, all you need is the booking # for any agent to tie all the bookings together to eat together.

There is no such thing as a child fare on Carnival (and I don't know of any other cruiseline that has one either). 1st and 2nd pax pay full fare, 3rd, 4th, (and 5th on some ships) in the same cabin pay a reduced fare.

There is no such thing as a child fare on Carnival (and I don't know of any other cruiseline that has one either). 1st and 2nd pax pay full fare, 3rd, 4th, (and 5th on some ships) in the same cabin pay a reduced fare.

Disney and MSC offers child's fares fairly often. MSC does, children sail free summers for instance. Ive seen Disney offer $99 child's fare.

Disney and MSC offers child's fares fairly often. MSC does, children sail free summers for instance. Ive seen Disney offer $99 child's fare.

Having never sailed Disney or MSC, I did not know. CCL, RCCL, Princess, nor HAL have a child fare.

It will not be a problem finding insurance to cover you in case of pregnancy. You may be able to get that kind of coverage on a basic plan for under $100, but if not, you can always get "cancel for any reason" policy for around $300. I use Travel Guard and really like their customer service. They will answer any questions you have.

Also, I would check with CCL about the prego issues. I mean if you book and you are not pregnant and then become become pregnant, it seems maybe they would be willing to refund you or at least let you switch to another cruise, at another time in the future...after all, it is their policy from preventing you from sailing and I imagine that has to happen often enough.

no, you do not have to use their agent. Just book however you like and have the bookings linked.

With the pregnancy/baby. I would not book early saver. I do not use insurance so i know nothing about that.

A baby is charged full fare just like any other person.. I believe 3 rd and 4 th person in cabin is a little bit of a discount.

hi we always book thru carnival--and yes=yes--they give discounts for groups---military-active and rtired-seniors--as for babies--they do not charge---better call carnival and ask for a cruise planner to get the correct info--don't depend on people in this sheet------we have traveled 49 times on carnival --with 50 coming up--and we have always received some sort of discount--and yes--take the travel protection---we do--but we are senior citizens--cost--189. Pp. Worth it--if you have to cancel. Irene and john

I have a different opinion on Early Saver. Price out your cruise cost WITHOUT using the Early Saver rate.

Then price out your cruise using the Early Saver rate PLUS insurance (check Travel Guard for some of the best rates or check with insuremytrip.com...don't choose Carnival's insurance because the prices are VERY high). Very frequently, the Early Saver price plus insurance is cheaper than booking a different rate, and then your investment is protected even though you booked Early Saver, plus you get the extra benefits of having insurance (medical, etc.).

And don't book unless you find a TA willing to give you an OBC. The ONLY time you should ever have to book without an OBC is if it's a VERY cheap cruise (e.g., 3-night Bahamas). Alaska is NOT a cheap cruise, so you should expect a significant OBC. Ask around until you find it.

you can always get "cancel for any reason" policy for around $300.

As long as you have a doctor who is willing to sign a statement that you were unable to travel, there's no reason to purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Having never sailed Disney or MSC, I did not know. CCL, RCCL, Princess, nor HAL have a child fare.

NCL also offers a children cruise free sales. I have seen it multiple times in the last year or so.

As long as you have a doctor who is willing to sign a statement that you were unable to travel, there's no reason to purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance.

I disagree. Cancel for any reason insurance might be great for this couple. It lets YOU decide what circumstances justify cancelling the trip.

Sorry, I forgot about this thread for a few days. You've given me a lot to think about. I guess the biggest take away is that some insurance will only cover something medically necessary, for instance, while more expensive insurance will allow me to cancel even if it's just because I change my mind. That might be helpful, actually. My DH keeps talking about starting a franchise store this year, in which case he may not be able to take off 7+ days next summer, either.

I would wait to book, but my family has already booked and I don't want to run the risk of not getting on the cruise after all. I definitely have some time to decide, but I don't think I should wait till 5 months before.

I have a different opinion on Early Saver. Price out your cruise cost WITHOUT using the Early Saver rate.

Then price out your cruise using the Early Saver rate PLUS insurance (check Travel Guard for some of the best rates or check with insuremytrip.com...don't choose Carnival's insurance because the prices are VERY high). Very frequently, the Early Saver price plus insurance is cheaper than booking a different rate, and then your investment is protected even though you booked Early Saver, plus you get the extra benefits of having insurance (medical, etc.).

And don't book unless you find a TA willing to give you an OBC. The ONLY time you should ever have to book without an OBC is if it's a VERY cheap cruise (e.g., 3-night Bahamas). Alaska is NOT a cheap cruise, so you should expect a significant OBC. Ask around until you find it.

If you book Early Saver, even with insurance all you will be reimbursed will be the $50 that Carnival "charges" you to cancel an ES booking. The insurance will not cover the remaining $200 of the deposit b/c you have not actually "lost" it. Carnival just holds it for you to use later...therefore the insurance will not reimburse the $200.

Archived