Alaska 2013

ScottToronto

Hello friends at CC.

We are planning a voyage with Silversea to Alaska in 2013. Could you recommend the best time of year to travel from Vancouver to Seward.

Some people recommend May/June since there is still snow on the mountain peaks. Others suggest July/August because the weather is warmer.

Need your help on this one.

With thanks,

ScottToronto

Weather in Alaska is notoriously unpredictable. I have been in a snowstorm in July twice. Weather in may is cooler but can be nice and sunny. Just pick whenever is more convenient for your schedule. I do think it is " prettier" in may or early June.

I agree with Rachel. you just never know what the weather will be like and I have been there six different times, including one time on Silversea in August of 2009.

Although cold, the best time we had there was last month as we were the only cruise ship and had no rain. Contrast that in August where we did have rain the last time around. You just never know.

If it was me I would go with May that May 30 date. Some of the ports will still be crowded but a bit less than say July and August where you will see more families. In fact, in August we had a good number of kids/families on the Shadow. You'll also see more snow than later in the summer seasons.

Keith

I haven't had trouble with mosquitos in Alaska except once when we were hiking pretty far inland--and I have been there 5 times. Now in BC Canada where our cabin is, lots of mosquitos at times.

Archived