Dunns River Falls - DIY with rental car & NO chain

elainesj

I've been seeing posts where ppl have been asking about DRF, getting there and climbing it, particularly from independent folks who want to do it themselves.

We were in Jamaica in March. We considered a private tour guide and the ship excursion (both great choices). Travelling with a group of 8, we finally decided we wanted more independence and lower costs and rented a van (seated 9) from Island Car Rental. We were nervous and lots of friends told us we were crazy.

Island Car Rental operates directly in the Port of Falmouth (where we docked). They drive on the other side of the road. Confident drivers should have no problems with this. The road goes straight to DRF and its an easy drive on a smooth highway. We got slightly turned around within the Town of Falmouth both as we left and as we returned - but the town is so small it really wasn't a major difficulty. I was nervous about asking directions from locals, but they were friendly and helpful. We even stopped at Columbus Bay, a roadside coconut stall (delicious and only $1!!), and a random Jamaican Jerk restaurant (we chose a large, clean looking one). We felt completely safe at all times (well the coconut stall was a little dicey as they had machetes in hand...!!). We loved it and highly recommend doing this.

At DRF, like many other independent-minded folks, I was also worried about getting pushed into a joining a chain. We walked down the stairs to the base of the falls. There was a chain there waiting at the base. We joined the end of the line, giving ourselves a slight distance. We did join hands with them.

Because there was a chain there, you pretty much have to join it in the beginning as there didn't seem to be an alternate route. For the first 10 mins, we were part of a chain. As soon as there was an opening we broke off as we didn't want to offend the guides. There were a couple of other spots where we joined up with the chains again, but we were able to be by ourselves about 80% of the time.

DRF was one of the highlights of the cruise for me and I was thrilled we did it. i would love to do it again - hopefully with no chains around!! the human chains really detracted from the whole experience we found

I totally agree. Doing DRF on your own gives you a different and, IMO, a better experience. You can go up and down the falls as many times as you want, take different paths up each time, and you can bypass the chains via the walkway if you need to.

• 2 months later...

It's a "chain" of people linked together by holding hands. They generally follow a guide up the easiest route of the falls. They tend to take the same route for safety reasons. They know all the foot holds and holes, etc. Some areas it's nice to be in a chain, as it's hard to climb without the help of someone pulling you up, and other areas are fun to explore on your own. We've done both, and a combination of both. There's not right or wrong way. On a tour they tend to like you all to stick together so that you finish at the same time and can leave to your next destination without having to wait for others still climbing.

Yes, as Mrsfuzzmo says, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to go up the Falls. Some like going in a group in chains; some do not.

Our small group joined a chain and, actually, we thought it was a lot of fun. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. I felt a little more secure holding hands with someone in front and in back of me and I know that it kept me from falling a couple times. I also appreciated the guide's knowledge of the easiest way up the Falls. The guides do expect a tip at the top of the Falls and although we were not doing a tour from our cruise ship, we adhered to the tip recommended by the cruiseline--$1 - $2 per person. That certainly was reasonable considering the help we got and the fun we had.

But, again, it doesn't really matter how you go up--just enjoy it!

• 1 month later...

We will be in Jamaica (Falmouth) in December, and are trying to figure out what to do. A rental car seems like it might be a good option. Did you book your vehicle ahead of time, and did the rental process go ok? Available as promised, price adhered too, easy to find at port, etc?

Also, would you say DRF is easy enough for kids? Ours are 7 and 10 and I'm a bit hesitant - wondering if a nice beach might be a better bet, and save the Falls til they're older.

Thanks alot for your review by the way! Info on Falmouth is limited and often negative, so it's nice to see another perspective!

Archived