Alaska Cruisetour #12 on Radance of the Seas

I am thinking about booking Radiance Of The Seas 12 Nights Pre Alaska Cruisetour #12 in June of 2013! So I am doing my homework. :) And wanted some input on this cruisetour and ship. I am not adventurous enough to plan our time in Alaska on our own (I mean the inland part) plus hubby would have a cow if I tried. LOL

If you have information on the inland part would be helpful!

02-Jun Anchorage, Alaska (what hotel and what to do)

03-Jun Anchorage, Alaska /Talkeetna, Alaska (Wilderness Train) What is that like?

04-Jun Talkeetna, Alaska /Denali, Alaska (What hotel in Denail) (Denali Natural History Tour)

05-Jun Denali, Alaska (Tundra Wilderness Tour)

06-Jun Denali, Alaska /Alyeska, (Alaska Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge) What to do?

07-Jun Alyeska, Alaska /Seward, Alaska (Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center)

Any comments about the towns, hotels, tours, train and buses would help me very much!

07-Jun Seward, Alaska

08-Jun Hubbard Glacier (Cruising)

09-Jun Juneau, Alaska

10-Jun Skagway, Alaska

11-Jun Icy Strait Point, Alaska

12-Jun Ketchikan, Alaska

13-Jun Inside Passage (Cruising)

14-Jun Vancouver, British Columbia

Thanks Dawn

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but I've been reading the Alaska forum here on Cruise Critic for well over a year, and have picked up a lot of great information. You may want to post there to get feedback on the cruisetour. Although I will say that those who have been to Alaska usually comment that you can do inland on your own for cheaper, and many times a less hectic pace, than the cruisetours. But of course, it's obviously a personal choice based on each person's comfort level.

We're only doing a couple of days before the cruise to take advantage of glacier/wildlife tours in Whittier and Seward, so I'm sorry I can't advise on your cruisetour, but I hope the referral to the other forum helps.

Hi there. You are going to have an amazing time. Lots of information on your various stops are in my live blog in my sig. The best thing you can do is read up as much as you can so you are armed with as much info as possible. This was my trip of a lifetime and I would do it all again in a heart beat. Doing the land tour first is perfect.

My DH and I are going to Alaska on similar itinerary in July. We had originally booked a similar cruisetour, but then part of it was changed 6 months after we booked with no notification. Since we also were not comfortable booking the entire land tour on our own, we went with a tour company in Alaska and created a custom tour that included everything we wanted. We were able to book hotels, transportation and excursions all through the same company. In the end it cost us the same, but we got a better itinerary.

Good luck with all your travel planning.

My DH and I are going to Alaska on similar itinerary in July. We had originally booked a similar cruisetour, but then part of it was changed 6 months after we booked with no notification. Since we also were not comfortable booking the entire land tour on our own, we went with a tour company in Alaska and created a custom tour that included everything we wanted. We were able to book hotels, transportation and excursions all through the same company. In the end it cost us the same, but we got a better itinerary.

Good luck with all your travel planning.

gschwartz001 What was the tour company that you went with? I haven't looked into those yet. Just thought that the cruiselines were the only ones that would offer tours. Guess I have alot to learn.

joyride21, I did read the same thing. That is one of the reasons I was looking at the 12 day and not the 11 day. It wasn't offered for the 11 day cruisetour. Which is also why I posted for replys to get more information about what to do and what not to do.

Thank you! :-)

NorbertsNiece, thank you! I have been trying to read as much of the posts as I can. There are so many. I just don't want to book something and say what the heck did I do! LOL But I don't want to wait until last minute either. My TA is giving me 2012 airfare for 2013, is that something I should jump on? She did say I could also cancel before final payment is due if it isn't something I don't think I would want to do. Anyone reading your thoughts? Dawn

I haven't done Alaska yet, but research I've done indicates a lot of people suggest upgrading the Denali History tour to the Tundra tour if you book with the cruise line.

The OP has the Denali History Tour and the Wildernes Tour in their itinerary. Sounds like the best of both worlds!

The train is wonderful and the food served om board is better than that sold on the regular train (assuming here that RCCL is still using their own trains).

Suggest you ask your question with regards to air fare on the Cruise Air board here.

I leave 5/25 for my 3rd trip to Alaska. Not enjoying crowds or being hustled like cattle, I plan everything on my own. After some reading and pre planning, it is EZ. Here is what we planned

5/25 arrive Anchorage, pick up car at Budget $90 per week, Clarion

5/26 visit street market, museum, heritage center, head toward Telkeetna.

2 nights at the Telkeetna Roadhouse, McKinley flight, hurricane train

2 nights McKinley Creekside Cabins, bus into Denali, sled dog demonstration

5/30 return to anchorage, return car, night at Comfort Inn Ship Creek catch early train to Seward, night in Seward at Edgewater, Sealife Center, boat trip.

6/1 catch Radiance

We did this for a lot less money. Read Trip Advisor, Cruise Critic..asked questions.

I also book my own excursions. Renting car in Skagway, $100 for two

Whale watching in hoonah in boat with 6 people only.

Using city bus in Juneau and ketchican.

Flying back out of Seattle, much cheaper, $50 shuttle.

You can plan your own, and see the REAL ALASKA. Meet the people, enjoy the out of the way restaurants ... No hourly schedule

I'm a teacher, and contrary to public belief, do not make a lot of money.

We picnic when we can, save a few $$$ here and there.

Many who have gone before you have carved the path already...

Go slow and give yourself time to smell the beautiful mountain air

Cathy:)

Cathy, I head is spinning after all that! LOL

Thank you for all that information. :-)

One of the reasons hubby wouldn't want to do it on our own, he would NEVER want to have to drive somewhere he's never been. He gets panic attacks and would not be able to enjoy himself. Which in turn neither would I! Pushing the 12 days on maybe pushing him to his li mit. :-( So having someone tell us where to go and where to be would save a divorce from happening! Haha! I kid but it does get that bad when he is out of his environment. I thought it would be something to look planning the land part on our own...but after talking to hubby it doesn't even look like an option. He's already starting the panic!! Oh well, any reviews about the cruisetour would be welcomed! Thanks Dawn

Cathy, I head is spinning after all that! LOL

Thank you for all that information. :-)

One of the reasons hubby wouldn't want to do it on our own, he would NEVER want to have to drive somewhere he's never been. He gets panic attacks and would not be able to enjoy himself. Which in turn neither would I! Pushing the 12 days on maybe pushing him to his li mit. :-( So having someone tell us where to go and where to be would save a divorce from happening! Haha! I kid but it does get that bad when he is out of his environment. I thought it would be something to look planning the land part on our own...but after talking to hubby it doesn't even look like an option. He's already starting the panic!! Oh well, any reviews about the cruisetour would be welcomed! Thanks Dawn

Setting aside the panic issue, there is also something to be said about being able to enjoy Alaska's fantastic scenery without having the distractions of driving in a strange or different region. There are advantages as well as disadvantages to letting someone else, especially someone with experience in Alaska, do the planning for you and providing you with all of the necessary transportation, food and lodging required during your time on the land. We did tour #11 with RCI two years ago and found our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and friendly and the tour offered more than enough free time that we did not feel we were constantly being herded anywhere. We were also able to meet and interact with many of the people who would then be accompanying us on the cruise. Not everyone wants to, or needs to, be intimately involved in the planning and execution of their trip. There are some who do and that is fine, but to imply that it is necessarily better for everyone to do the tour on their own is certainly not true or fair.:)

I was struck by the fact that tour #12 contains both the Tundra Wilderness Tour and the Natural History tour. We have done both, but on separate occasions, and found that the TWT is far superior to the NHT . I wonder why they have included both when perhaps they could have substituted some other excursion for the Natural History Tour.

I was struck by the fact that tour #12 contains both the Tundra Wilderness Tour and the Natural History tour. We have done both, but on separate occasions, and found that the TWT is far superior to the NHT . I wonder why they have included both when perhaps they could have substituted some other excursion for the Natural History Tour.

Negc I stand corrected we will only have the Tundra Wilderness Tour. That was why I started looking at tour #12 instead of tour #7 which has the NHT tour. Thank you for your input.

floridajourneygirl ~~ We are booked for cruisetour #12 and will be leaving in less than two months. I am planning on posting a review after we return. I have found that there are not a lot of cruisetour reviews and information is sketchy when planning. This will be our first trip to the interior of Alaska and when we booked a year ago, I thought a cruisetour would be more relaxing for hubby .... not having to drive, fuss with luggage .... and we have found in the past that with guided tours you learn much more about the places you visit and the sights you are enjoying. Having said that, since I booked and have done tons of research, I will probably book our own land tour when we are lucky enough to return to Alaska in the future. This trip will be very relaxing and easy for us and I am sure we will enjoy it and the glimpse of the interior of Alaska.

Best piece of advice based on our post-cruise trip is to take the tour that has max use of train connections between stops. The train is like airline 1st class comfort, with bar/dining access and more comfortable restrooms (not portalets at bus stops). I will never do a bus-heavy tour again after experiencing both. Good Luck

Negc I stand corrected we will only have the Tundra Wilderness Tour. That was why I started looking at tour #12 instead of tour #7 which has the NHT tour. Thank you for your input.

Thanks for the clarification. I did think it strange to have both tours included but didn't take the time to check out the tour description. I think you were well advised to choose the tour which has the TWT and hope you enjoy it and the rest of your tour as much as we did.

We booked our custom tour through Alaska.org - the actual agent is Alaska Tour & Travel. We do not go until July, but so far I have been very happy with their service. They spent a lot of time with me building a custom tour that included everything my DH and I were interested in. They responded quickly to my initial request online and were willing to answer the million questions I had.

22 years of the summer addiction called Alaska (only one month away from next installment.)

If you have information on the inland part would be helpful!

02-Jun Anchorage, Alaska (what hotel and what to do)

Not sure which hotel RCI is using. Shoping downtown is good, unless it is Saturday. Then the "market" is open down town, it is great! If you are a big hearty lumberjack, go out to Gwinnie's Old Alaska Restaurant for Breakfast. We love to drive out to Potters marsh and along the road south of town along Turnagin Arm. See if they have some tour out there from town.

03-Jun Anchorage, Alaska /Talkeetna, Alaska (Wilderness Train) What is that like?

The train is simply wonderful! Talkeetna.... meh.

04-Jun Talkeetna, Alaska /Denali, Alaska (What hotel in Denail) (Denali Natural History Tour)

NHT... meh It is the Tundra tour you want. Both is puzzling. I don't remember the name of the hotel, but it is perched way up on a mountain top above "town".

05-Jun Denali, Alaska (Tundra Wilderness Tour) Yeah, this is a great tour!

06-Jun Denali, Alaska /Alyeska, (Alaska Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge) What to do?

Talkeetna.... meh. Oh... if you want the largest burger you have ever seen.....

Watch this if you dare.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWzZ8eEGB7A

07-Jun Alyeska, Alaska /Seward, Alaska (Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center)

Interesting center, too bad you don't have time to do the tour out to Kenai Fjords park. I is amazing.

Any comments about the towns, hotels, tours, train and buses would help me very much!

07-Jun Seward, Alaska

08-Jun Hubbard Glacier (Cruising)

Best Tidewater Glacier in Alaska (JMHO)

09-Jun Juneau, Alaska

Good shopping, easy trip on the docks for not much money out to Mendenhall Glacier. Great whale watching tours. Eat at Twisted fish for some yummy fresh Alaskan seafood. Avoid the cruise ship stores. You can hit them in the Caribbean this winter. You came for some Alaskan shopping.

10-Jun Skagway, Alaska

Disneyland of the north. However many like the train ride. I go for some nice hikes above town.

11-Jun Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Funny spot. This really is Alaska (well the town is). Many people don't like it. I guess they are expecting something more caribbean in style. There are some fantastic whale tours here. Oh yeah, almost forgot. They have a insane zip line from the top of the mountain to the bottom near the ocean. 1,000 foot drop if I remember right.:D

12-Jun Ketchikan, Alaska

Shopping good here as well. We will be in town 3 days this year and out on Prince of Wales Island for 5 using the ferry system from there.

13-Jun Inside Passage (Cruising)

Sigh... time to pack... but there be Orca along the way.

14-Jun Vancouver, British Columbia

What a lovely city! You will have to come back one day and take in Stanley Park.

Sorry, for such a short note but it would take hours to really tell you what you are about to see! Once again, do go to the Alaska Port board.

We booked our custom tour through Alaska.org - the actual agent is Alaska Tour & Travel. We do not go until July, but so far I have been very happy with their service. They spent a lot of time with me building a custom tour that included everything my DH and I were interested in. They responded quickly to my initial request online and were willing to answer the million questions I had.

Sounds like you should have a great tour. Do you know what travel arrangements are included on this tour? Our preference was for doing as many legs as possible on the train, especially the transfer from Anchorage to Seward. All of the train cars belonging to the various cruiselines, are pulled by the same Alaska RR locomotive, but the location of the cars and the quality of those cars can make at least a bit of difference in how much you will enjoy the trip.

klingoncruiser that was awsome, just what a was looking for. Thank you!

If you have any more specifics you want ask away. (What do to really want to do most, what do you want to try most, ect. I can give you some suggestions on tours to try and places to see.)

Archived