Something that made me chuckle!! :)

As a VERY inexperienced cruiser.....and having only cruised NCL......I thought I would sneak over to another cruise lines board and take a look at their threads!! Don't be shocked, people.......I'm new to this.....I promise I won't do it again!!;)

Well, I quickly realised why NCL is the cruise-line for me!! Some of the threads made me laugh out loud!! For instance.......* 5 things I wish I'd known before I cruised*.....got to be of interest to a novice cruiser? Yes?

Mmmmm......why not consider hiring a tuxedo or ballgown.....after all...you may never wear it again!!

Remember to bring a spare pair of glasses in case you drop them when leaning overboard to look at the view......same goes for false teeth!!!!!

Remember to pack all your accessories in a secure bag......and co-ordinate them with your outfits....especially your * Captain's night* outfit!!

I'm certainly not criticising anyone for wanting a cruise like this......just saying, I know why I prefer NCL........and it's because I wouldn't be able to decide WHICH ballgown to pack.....never mind accessorise it......so just as well I don't have to, hey?? ;) :D

As a VERY inexperienced cruiser.....and having only cruised NCL......I thought I would sneak over to another cruise lines board and take a look at their threads!! Don't be shocked, people.......I'm new to this.....I promise I won't do it again!!;)

Well, I quickly realised why NCL is the cruise-line for me!! Some of the threads made me laugh out loud!! For instance.......* 5 things I wish I'd known before I cruised*.....got to be of interest to a novice cruiser? Yes?

Mmmmm......why not consider hiring a tuxedo or ballgown.....after all...you may never wear it again!!

Remember to bring a spare pair of glasses in case you drop them when leaning overboard to look at the view......same goes for false teeth!!!!!

Remember to pack all your accessories in a secure bag......and co-ordinate them with your outfits....especially your * Captain's night* outfit!!

I'm certainly not criticising anyone for wanting a cruise like this......just saying, I know why I prefer NCL........and it's because I wouldn't be able to decide WHICH ballgown to pack.....never mind accessorise it......so just as well I don't have to, hey?? ;) :D

Who said an old dog cant learn new tricks .. I NEVER knew that people who sail on NCL , dont have false teeth and glasses. The "accesories" that the other "low life cruisers" speak of may be a diamond necklace that cost more than one of your NCL cruises.

Im not an "avid" cruiser but have cruised 3 times ( not including the 4 cruises I did while serving in the US NAVY). All of my cruises have been with ... get ready ... CARNIVAL.. I prefer to "travel" no , really TRAVEL , like around the world, not Key West or Cozumel .. My one week in Moscow equaled, cost wise , twice as much as a AFT WRAP AROUND Cabin on NCL .. Ive been to Moscow 4 times. Oh and paying my driver and translator was probably a little more expensive than the tips you gave to your waiter and room steward. Thats just a guess though.

From now on maybe , just maybe you need to think before you type. .

Who said an old dog cant learn new tricks .. I NEVER knew that people who sail on NCL , dont have false teeth and glasses. The "accesories" that the other "low life cruisers" speak of may be a diamond necklace that cost more than one of your NCL cruises.

Im not an "avid" cruiser but have cruised 3 times ( not including the 4 cruises I did while serving in the US NAVY). All of my cruises have been with ... get ready ... CARNIVAL.. I prefer to "travel" no , really TRAVEL , like around the world, not Key West or Cozumel .. My one week in Moscow equaled, cost wise , twice as much as a AFT WRAP AROUND Cabin on NCL .. Ive been to Moscow 4 times. Oh and paying my driver and translator was probably a little more expensive than the tips you gave to your waiter and room steward. Thats just a guess though.

Geez, taking this a little personally, maybe?:rolleyes:

OP, thanks for the smiles your post gave me. I've cruised other lines, but we always come back to NCL. It's the perfect fit for us, too.

Geez, taking this a little personally, maybe?:rolleyes:

OP, thanks for the smiles your post gave me. I've cruised other lines, but we always come back to NCL. It's the perfect fit for us, too.

nope , just heard it before ... childish..

One big reason we love NCL is freestyle! No need to pack all your fancy clothes that take up so much room (and they're uncomfortable besides!) We dress resort casual most of the time anyway, so that's easy for us. DH and I share one large suitcase for a cruise and we have room leftover! That would not be the case if we had to get gussied up for dinner!

We love NCL!

OP~ Thanks for sharing.... I had a much needed laugh. :D

When we were trying to decide which cruise to take for our first, my DH's only request was that he did not want to pack a tux.

The more I read and learn on these boards, the more I realize I made the right decision to go with NCL.

Nothing says you HAVE to get all dressed up to enjoy one of these other lines...there are alternatives for all ships...some like to dress up, some don't, to each their own!

I agree that this is childish, why point fingers?

I love the remarks above. Everyone has to make their own choices. I am so looking forward to Freestyling on NCL...no dress up packed for our cruise..can't wait to experience the difference with Freestyling from what we have had on 2 other cruise lines. It doesn't really matter we are on vacation..enjoy and safe travels to all that are traveling to the port this weekend for their cruise..!!!

Awe whatever. I figure I have no issue with people laughing no matter how they get there. You all that had to spew about the OP have no more tolerance for her sense of humor than you feel she has for alternative cruise styles. In case your lack of humor and tolerance has also affected your ability to read between the lines, that makes you hypocrites.

I am completely entertained by the entire thing. Thank you OP AND hypocrites. I got mad love for you all for giving me something to occupy my bored mind. Carry on.

To the original topic...I am going on my first NCL next December. Ive done 7 CCLs and figure I'm now moving up to the big time!!:D

hmmmm, methinks someone is overcompensating for a lack of humor by talk of spending big bucks. I honestly don't believe the OP was knocking anyone, but is honestly pleased with their choice of NCL and/or was truly amused by observational humor, which is just as subjective as cruising styles.

Remember all, it's not the price you pay for things which bring enjoyment, its living the experience to the fullest.

Perhaps for someone like me who has not travelled extensively, my upcoming week to the Caribbean is just as exotic to me as your Moscow trip was to you...and I won't need a driver or translator, therefore my tips to my butler, conceirge and room steward might just make up for my lack of expenditure elsewhere.

Just a thought.

Cruise lines are more the same than they are different. I've been on RCL (once), Princes (7 times) and NCL once - with another reserved. Why did I switch? 1st cruise Princess, 2nd Princess, got engaged. RCL had a better itinerary for the honeymoon (and the most impressive ships I've seen). Back to Princess for 5 cruises because I preferred them a little, but mostly they went where I wanted to go.

For some reason now Princess has abandoned the US, so we tried NCL. It was nice, which means (GASP) it was a lot like Princess. Anytime dining, yep, had that on my last 5 cruises. Formal nights - I actually like them, if you see my wife in a nice dress you will know why :-)

All this time I've said I'd go back on RCL if they didn't have the fixed dining, sounds like they have adjusted that. Right now between Princess and NCL I'd give it a wash, RCL would go if they don't try to charge too much (hello Allure & Oasis, or Epic/Breakaway for that matter).

Oh yeah, when did I start all these Princess trips (an 'old' person cruise line)? - in my mid 20's. Old people (slightly uppper middle age on the 7 dayers anyway) know how to party sometimes! They don't recover the next day quite as quickly, but then again now that I'm almost 40 neither do I. Guess I need to upgrade to HAL.

When I read the post from the OP I thought they were comparing cruise lines and not commenting about the people who cruise on them.

Anyways I have cruised with Royal caribbean, Norwegian and P&O, so far. They all do different things like dress up or not and I am glad. It is good to have some variety.

Having said that my best cruise to date has been with NCL due to the relaxed way of things and the support my daughter in a wheelchair received.

Geez, the OP was very careful to say that she wasn't criticizing people that chose those cruises but that she was very happy she chose NCL.

OP, keep posting and smiling and don't worry about the sour pusses that just look to throw stones :rolleyes:

I look back and laugh at how seriously we took ourselves in our early years of cruising with tuxes (even for the kids) and long dresses and dress shoes for everyone. I too am thrilled that I have found my casual home on the sea with NCL!!

The original poster neither stated or implied anyone was a "low life cruiser.". Nor did the poster bring up money

I'm glad you enjoyed your 4 trips to Moscow, but fail to see how your 4 trips to the same country makes you more of a world traveler than someone who has been to multiple countries in the Carribean or elsewhere. Money comments again? smh

Maybe, just maybe, your should follow your own advice. Your condescension is quite obvious and very unbecoming.

Travel where you like, when you like and how you like. Personally, I'm glad we have so many choices. Variety is the spice of life! How boring would life be if we all liked the same things?

Thank you to the original poster (and others) for a good laugh. Too bad some can't understand the real meaning of your post. On our first cruise (Carnival) I too worried about the dress clothes and if we would fit in. Now I look back and think how silly it is. As I get older I have decided to be myself and not worry about conforming to someone else's idea of what I should be, do or wear. ;)

You can see by my signature that we have sailed on different lines and I find them very similar in many ways, we have also sailed different itineraries and usually book based on which ship goes where I want to go rather than being "loyal" to any one line. I don't care about the "perks" you can get. I am looking forward to our first cruise on Norwegian next April. I think we will fit into the "freestyle" way of cruising just fine. :D

nope , just heard it before ... childish..

Speaking of childish........... SMILE. It increases your face value.

Seriously......You REALLY need to learn to relax, really relax, and let those of us on the bottom rungs of society have a laugh every now and then. :D

hmmmm, methinks someone is overcompensating for a lack of humor by talk of spending big bucks. I honestly don't believe the OP was knocking anyone, but is honestly pleased with their choice of NCL and/or was truly amused by observational humor, which is just as subjective as cruising styles.

Remember all, it's not the price you pay for things which bring enjoyment, its living the experience to the fullest.

Perhaps for someone like me who has not travelled extensively, my upcoming week to the Caribbean is just as exotic to me as your Moscow trip was to you...and I won't need a driver or translator, therefore my tips to my butler, conceirge and room steward might just make up for my lack of expenditure elsewhere.

Just a thought.

Thank you!!!

Archived