Hoonah - has anyone?

cntrymum

Done or heard of someone who has done an excursion with Brown Bear Lodge Excursions? I am very much interested in what they offer but cannot seem to find any reviews/feedback on this company in my usual haunts. Any feedback/info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

CM

Done or heard of someone who has done an excursion with Brown Bear Lodge Excursions? I am very much interested in what they offer but cannot seem to find any reviews/feedback on this company in my usual haunts. Any feedback/info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

CM

DH and I used brown Bear Lodge last year for a bear watching tour. Phil was our guide. We plan to go out with them again this year, although I hesitate to recommend them. Our excursion got off to a rocky start. No one met us at the gate and we had to call Kenny on our cell phone. We had to wait about 1/2 hour for Phil to show up. Phil is a little unusual, but is very enthusiastic and knowledgable about the area. We were a little early in the season as salmon were not running and berries were not ripe, but we saw 7 brown bears and Phil repeatedly apologized for not showing us more. We were very happy with the animals we saw and heard from others on the ship, who had booked the ships tour, who never saw any bears at all.

We thought their professionalism was lacking, but Phil was very personable and did every thing he could to make up for a rocky start. We were not real impressed with the van, but it was ok. The bears are definitely there along with blacktail deer and interesting scenery.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the feedback fishes. Quirky we can handle if they offer a good and interesting trip. Have sent them an email enquiring but am yet to hear back. Did you book direct prior? We will be there in late July so hoping for some good sightings. Great that you saw 7! at time of year. We have spent a lot of time in "tour vans" in other places in the world that you wouldn't even put on the road in Aus so that isn't a problem either.

You're welcome. We usually hear back quickly from Kenny when we email him, sometimes the same day. You might try sending your email again, funny things have been known to happen. We did book prior to the cruise last year, and we will again this year.

Late July should be a great time!

Have heard back from him a couple of times now fishes. All set to meet him at the dock on the day we arrive :D Exactly 2 months today until we depart for our great Alaskan adventure............

Archived