Kindle, Nook, other, neither?

This thread has been a true education. Because of everything I have read here -especially the post outlining the difference between e-readers and tablets, I had no problem or second thoughts about ordering my Kindle Touch today off of Amazon. I opted for one that has been refurbished in order to save 25.00 since it comes with a 1-year warranty and was being sold through Amazon and not a third party.

I have a Kindle with 3G. On our last cruise to the Caribbean (Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan). Each evening, as the ship left port, I would go online (free) and send my mom a quick Facebook note letting her know, we were all doing well and having fun. That feature along with having many many books in such a light compact device won me over. I just wish they would get 3G for the Kindle Fire.

I have an iPhone and iPad that I can read on. For Mother's Day I got a Nook Simple Touch. The e-ink is much easier to read in the sun (think cruising and beach) than either of my apple devices. It is impossible to see those screens outside in the sunlight. DH has a Nook Tablet and has a little trouble reading in the sun as well. He got an anti-glare screen protector and that seems to help some.

I love my Nook. It is simple and I use it only for reading.

Oh, NO!!

You must have felt horrible.

Yes, I did. My husband insisted that I contact Amazon to see what could be done. I was able to get a replacement for $100. so at least I will be able to get my Kindle fix in a few days. I have a GOOD husband :)

I dropped my Kindle onto cement from a story up and it cracked and some of the screen area and icons disappeared permentley. It was 3-4 years old and a little cracked already but worked OK. I read a lot and had a lot of books on it. My daughter gave me a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it! I easily transferred my books to it. Luckily I can't sit in the sun too much so thats not an issue. I wonder how much I can see the screen from a cove balcony. Is it shady enough?

I dropped my Kindle onto cement from a story up and it cracked and some of the screen area and icons disappeared permentley. It was 3-4 years old and a little cracked already but worked OK. I read a lot and had a lot of books on it. My daughter gave me a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it! I easily transferred my books to it. Luckily I can't sit in the sun too much so thats not an issue. I wonder how much I can see the screen from a cove balcony. Is it shady enough?

I would think so, but I have only briefly stood on a cove balcony - never personally had one. I couldn't read my iPad on a regular balcony on any of my cruises. :/

I'm a techno-gadget-aholic and so far I've resisted the urge to buy an eReader. If I did it would probably be an e-ink based Kindle (probably the ad-supported version of the Kindle Touch. I have an iPhone that I use for everyday e-mail, mapping, short web browsing, etc. while traveling but not in a place with Wifi. I also have an iPad that I use when Wifi is available and I do use it for reading, but mostly technical documentation. For pleasure "reading" I have been a fan of audio books through Audible (.com) for years. I enjoy the audio books since I can listen to them while walking the dog or while driving or on an airplane, etc.

But, the call of the eReader is still there :)

Every once in awhile Amazon runs a special that if you subscribe to Audible for a year they will give you $100 towards an electronic gadget. A few months ago I got the Kindle Touch free. I subscribe to Audible any way and it was time for my year to be up. They will tell about it on Audible too. You can only get something every two years but I got an ipod very cheap too once. The Kindle Touch plays Audible books too and battery lasts longer than my ipod.

I have a Kindle fire, and love it. Every one has favorites as far as E-Readers, which is great, as their is a choice out there to buy.

I can't read in direct sunlight, but I never sit out in the sun anyway.

I can get on the Internet on mine, a keyboard comes up to type with. The letters are a little small, but I bought a Stylus which works great.

If you get a Kindle, here is a free site that is habit forming for getting free e-books from Amazon.

http://www.ereaderiq.com/

Melanie

Thank you SO much for the link Melanie - I have downloaded so many free books on my Kinle I will NEVER run out of reading material!!

Jane

If you are reading on a tablet or smart phone and having trouble seeing the screen in the sun and have a reader app such as Aldiko or Mobi, try setting the display to night mode (black background, white font). I've never tryed it, but it might help. Also, both those reader apps have user preference color schemes that you can play around with that may show up in bright sunlight and reduce eye strain. Also, if you want free books, check out smashwords dot com, select your genre and select free. These are not literary masterpieces (more like starving artists) but I have never downloaded a book that I hated.

Thank you SO much for the link Melanie - I have downloaded so many free books on my Kinle I will NEVER run out of reading material!!

Jane

I have so may books on mine, I probably won't read them all in my lifetime, but I keep on downloading the dang things!

Melanie

I have a rooted Nookcolor that I absolutely love and take EVERYWHERE. I can read it anywhere. I have over 3000 epubs on it that I have downloaded. I am an AVID reader. My hubby has a kindle. It seems too complicated to me.

I have a rooted Nookcolor that I absolutely love and take EVERYWHERE. I can read it anywhere. I have over 3000 epubs on it that I have downloaded. I am an AVID reader. My hubby has a kindle. It seems too complicated to me.

Did you buy 3000 books?! Yikes!! I have about 120...

Did you buy 3000 books?! Yikes!! I have about 120...

I don't buy mine.

I have my flame suit on, and don't care what anyone thinks. Really.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

I don't buy mine.

I have my flame suit on, and don't care what anyone thinks. Really.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

;) I figured. I won't judge. Email me if you want to share files. LOL.

I'm so torn right now. I tend to like the amazon store better than B&N, but I like the nook hardware better than the kindle. :(

Decisions, decisions.

Then get the Nook Color, root it, and you will then be able to use the Google Android marketplace to get BOTH the B&N and Amazon apps. PixelofInk dot com for tons of free book downloads.

Then get the Nook Color, root it, and you will then be able to use the Google Android marketplace to get BOTH the B&N and Amazon apps. PixelofInk dot com for tons of free book downloads.

I have an iPad that I use for multiple book stores, but I would like a dedicated ereader for outside reading and trips.i will check out pixelofink though thanks for that.

I have a Nook color and love it ! Especially love the back lighting so I read in the dark ! I still can't figure how to get library books......can someone help me ????!!!:confused:

I went to my local library, and they set it up for me. Had to fill out some information, like username, and password.

Melanie

I'm so torn right now. I tend to like the amazon store better than B&N, but I like the nook hardware better than the kindle. :(

Decisions, decisions.

I like that I can always go to B&N to ask questions about my Nook. I get more help in person than over the phone or Internet.

I have been following his thread from the beginning and have learned a lot - thanks. My DS tells me there is a Kindle in my near future! :) After reading all of the options I think I will get a Kindle Fire AND a basic Kindle Touch - I like having the best of both worlds! I do love to read in the sun and in bed so the ability to read in both situations will be nice!

Thanks again for the all of the info!

Archived