Designer jeans - the new cocktail dress

As far as RCCL I did see jeans on both of my Sovereign cruises. I go on Mariner in Oct.-since that is their top of the line ship maybe it will be better. We shall see but for now I reserve judgement that RCCL is "classier" then Carnival. I do not really care much for either line.

momofmeg: Actually Mariner is not RCI's top of the line; that would be Radiance class: Jewel, Brilliance, Serenade and Radiance. There will be lots of families aboard as Voyager class attracts that demographic. Radiance class overall tends to be more elegant and IME people dressed quite a bit better across the board.

I think SOS is more casual by nature of the shorter runs. People tend not to dress as well in general.

NCL does not really require pax to dress up in any of the restaurants. In the maining dining rooms on the Dream and the Sun, casual was the norm. I did not eat in the main dining at all for dinner on my three Sun cruises, always in the Specialty Restaurants. People there dressed very nicely and the restaurants were quite elegant.

I am not a big fan of Freestyle - I like the traditional cruise experience - but it is definitely worth a try. I was solo on my 4 recent NCL cruises. I dined in the sushi bar a couple of nights (just myself and the captain), in Las Ramblas for tapas and wine, in Le Bistro twice and Italian once. This was my schedule on all of my Sun cruises. I like to dine late and I did notice there was a wait to get into the main dining rooms between 6-7 when they first opened. Otherwise, I was able to make reservations when and where I wanted with no problem.

CG

The actual cost of producing an item in relation to it's retail price is only part of the equation. The other parts are marketing, advertising and of course, supply and demand.

However, designer jeans do cost more to create than jeans for the Plus size woman because the Plus size companies generally use their standard pant marker/patterns and don't go through as many fit processes. Designer jeans are so great looking because of their fabulous fit and companies go through many sessions with fit models and pattern makers in order to get the look right.

Jane

Jane, help me with this one please. While I do understand the whole process with a fit model for sizing (or at least that is the way it used to be done for sizing) and the fact that with a better line of jeans you are paying for better quality of fabric, fit, construction, and quality overall, why wouldn't Lane Bryant want to put their customer in a better jean? Forgive my ignorance, but I have zero experience with any larger sized lines.

For the most part, are all of their pants the same cookie cutter pattern sizing?

I could not imagine going back to change after dinner. I simply do not understand that at all. I think it is almost as tacky to be in the shows or beautiful lounges attired in jeans or shorts or other inappropriate wear as it is to dine that way. We are just way too casual in this country.

There are many different reasons why someone may be in shorts or jeans after dinner. Maybe they ate dinner in their room, maybe they ate in the Windjammer, maybe they changed for dancing on western night, maybe they spilled something on their clothes, or any other reason that you don't know about.

I'm sure there are countries that are much more formal than this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumeroll

As to the poster who did not understand the dumbing down comment - you prove my point.

Being rude is far worse than wearing jeans.

Why can't we just help other cruisers with our experiences on particular ships since it does vary from ship to ship and from what is posted on websites? Why do some people have to be judgemental and rude over a fabric?

That was totally uncalled for and rude.

" If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies.... It would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it. " ~Albert Einstein

Sounds like you're an example of that sad situation.

Good luck to you in our third world, dumbed down, denim wearing country.

It is quite obvious that most Americans are not ashamed of shoddy clothes or furniture or they would not wear the first nor buy the second but they do in the millions. As to the second half of that quote, the meat is inert and has no control over its actions, while a person is dynamic. I have always found that those who dress up the wrapping for the vast part end up improving the inside Ie: the mind. Sloppy exterior equals sloppy thinking.

momofmeg: Actually Mariner is not RCI's top of the line; that would be Radiance class: Jewel, Brilliance, Serenade and Radiance. There will be lots of families aboard as Voyager class attracts that demographic. Radiance class overall tends to be more elegant and IME people dressed quite a bit better across the board.

I think SOS is more casual by nature of the shorter runs. People tend not to dress as well in general.

NCL does not really require pax to dress up in any of the restaurants. In the maining dining rooms on the Dream and the Sun, casual was the norm. I did not eat in the main dining at all for dinner on my three Sun cruises, always in the Specialty Restaurants. People there dressed very nicely and the restaurants were quite elegant.

I am not a big fan of Freestyle - I like the traditional cruise experience - but it is definitely worth a try. I was solo on my 4 recent NCL cruises. I dined in the sushi bar a couple of nights (just myself and the captain), in Las Ramblas for tapas and wine, in Le Bistro twice and Italian once. This was my schedule on all of my Sun cruises. I like to dine late and I did notice there was a wait to get into the main dining rooms between 6-7 when they first opened. Otherwise, I was able to make reservations when and where I wanted with no problem.

CG

Well maybe I would like radience class better. I just do not think rock climbing walls and Johnny Rockets is really what I am personally looking for. I do think I will enjoy the ice skating though. But we are really doing this cruise to please our daughter.

I doubt though I will be doing any cruise for a while after we do Mariner as we want to do a reposioning European cruise in the fall of 2007. The one I want to do is Princess and it goes to Iceland and Greenland besides stops in England, Scotland, and Ireland so it never has more then 2 days at sea at a time. We plan to fly into Paris, spend a few days there and then take a train to Denmark where the cruise starts. To do all this though we will be gone like 22 days- we are planning this in honor of 25 years of marriage; an achievemnet in this day and time for sure.

Because we are planning this we will be banking both money and vacation days as this will take a lot of both but for us this is a once in a lifetime trip. We took a land trip to England and Belguim in 99-but I pretty much feel this cruise will more then likely be our last trip to Europe. But for us basially middle class folks-I think we can say we have done pretty good.

I would like to try Norweigan some time but I don't know when-I am guessing that is several years into the future.

I could not imagine going back to change after dinner. I simply do not understand that at all. I think it is almost as tacky to be in the shows or beautiful lounges attired in jeans or shorts or other inappropriate wear as it is to dine that way. We are just way too casual in this country.

My formal wear as well as my other nice outifts are comfortable and wnjoyable to wear. Why would anyone buy anything that is a chore to wear?

Well, then picture this. I am NOT going to go sit in a lounge chair by the pool, wearing my formal dresses....

Also, I have never seen jeans on Celebrity or HAL.

On my last Celebrity cruise to Alaska... I saw nothing but jeans until 7pm. I was the ONLY person NOT in them, this year, I will be bringing my jeans along.

It is quite obvious that most Americans are not ashamed of shoddy clothes or furniture or they would not wear the first nor buy the second but they do in the millions. As to the second half of that quote, the meat is inert and has no control over its actions, while a person is dynamic. I have always found that those who dress up the wrapping for the vast part end up improving the inside Ie: the mind. Sloppy exterior equals sloppy thinking.

It's quite obvious that you can't comprehend the analogy that Albert Einstein was making. Einstein by the way, was one of the greatest minds of the 20th century and sported a rather shabby style. But it was his. Imagine, looking like that and getting a Nobel prize. What were they thinking?

But I digress. Keep judging books by their covers and keep reminding yourself that the clothes make the man/woman. This could be the only thing you've got going for you. It's not much but it sounds like it makes you happy.

I'm off to better things. I won't be responding further to you personally. I prefer to spend my time on positive pursuits.

Can I give you my input?

I am Italian, my boyfriend who has been an officer for 15 years now (he is Command in Second and Safety Officer) is also Italian.

These dressing issues, I think, are very American and sometimes are not very relevant.

We feel the Cruise Lines have to specify te dress code only here in United States..if you go on a cruise in Europe you will not receive so many information on how to dress. THis is because, in general, we tend to dress a little bit more anyway while here in United States, expecially here in Claifornia, people tend to dress REAAAALLY too casual sometimes.

However, having said that, the result is that, at the end , people in cruises tend to exagerate and overdress sometimes.

I am not sure what people mean for Designer Jeans..I hope it is not only a matter of brand: There are very nice jeans, with beads, with knitted patterns that are very elegant, expecially with a long sleeve shirts. Imagine a woman with jeans, shirt and a jacket, maybe with sober high heel..She can look very professional and stylish!

Then you have another woman with black non ironed skirt, a purple acrylic shirt and a green scraf. There is nothing casual on these but she can really look awful..

Same thing for formal night. Beaded Gowns arte beautiful..in a 16 years old prom teenager..But after college, I think they do not look elegant anymore, but funny!

Sometimes something more sober can look way more classy! Even a knee-long black satin skirt with a coordinated top and a black pashmina can look more formal than a ball gown..

So, I feel like sometimes these conversation do not go anywhere..being classy and elegant is not only a matter of jeans versus black skirt..it is a matter of how things are put together and so on..

So, excluding flip flop, beach shorts, University or college huge fleece, I think nothing is too casual.

If a woman wear a pair of clean, ironed jeans with high heels and a Lacoste polo t-shirt can look very clean and not casual at all!

Also, I can tell you that Officer, Captains and so on, agree that beaded, colorful ball gown are not necessary at all even at the Captain's Party. Same thing for Tuxedos..they are definetely to much everywhere excluding weddings and promos.

Also, I can tell you that Officer, Captains and so on, agree that beaded, colorful ball gown are not necessary at all even at the Captain's Party. Same thing for Tuxedos..they are definetely to much everywhere excluding weddings and promos.

Thank you for your interesting observations and information. However, I would like to add my own. In my experience, onboard many ships, employees of the cruise line such as hostesses, female cruise directors, entertainers, etc.; all dress in beaded gowns on formal nights as do officers wives when they are onboard attending formal social occasions. Male employees, who are not members of the deck crew, such as cruise directors and other members of the cruise staff, etc. also wear tuxedos on these occasions. Officers all wear their dress uniforms. Therefore, I do not think any of us are over dressed when following their example.

The level of formality is determined by the particular cruise line. I have not had the pleasure of sailing on Carnival and since I understand it is one of the less traditional lines it is unlikely that I will in the future. I do believe that you cannot paint with broad strokes. I have even read that different ships in the same line may have different levels of formality as well as differences in dress based on itinerary. This may account for all of the different reports we see on Cruise Critic.

With that said, on the ships that I have sailed HAL and RCI. On the itineraries I have sailed, Caribbean, NE Passage and Hawaii, formal evening have been very formal. In addition, people have remained in their formal attire for the entire evening. I have also never seen jeans or casual attire of any kind in the dining room or public areas after 6PM.

Linda

You must have sailed on ships I have not been on! I totally disagree with this statement.

I have dined at the Captain's table over 20 times and also with the Hotel Director, Cruise Director, etc. These occasions have mostly been on formal nights. The Captain and his staff are dressed in their finest and many passengers are dressed in gowns and tuxes, as the occasion dictates.

The only ships IME where people seem to care less are Carnival. And that is one reason they do not get my money.

Also, I have never seen jeans on Celebrity or HAL.

On my last Celebrity cruise to Alaska... I saw nothing but jeans until 7pm. I was the ONLY person NOT in them, this year, I will be bringing my jeans along.

During the day in Alaska, jeans are very common. That is not the discussion in this thread.

I have NEVER seen jeans in the dining room or in the public rooms after dinner on HAL, Celebrity, or Radisson. It is altogether too common - pun intended - on Carnival.

Well, then picture this. I am NOT going to go sit in a lounge chair by the pool, wearing my formal dresses....

I do not think anyone would expect you to be dressed formally on the lido. The pool is usually open to midnight and on some ships there are 24 hour pools so ofcourse-if you want to swim after dinner that is fine.

I think the point is for the shows and the lounges you should not dress "down" in things liks shorts or jeans on formal night-the lido is differant.

What I normally do-because yes-I too have been gulity of picking out an extremely uncomfortable formal gown- (never did enjoy strapless bras and it is much worse now that I am older) is I alway bring a nice dressy pair of black slacks and a dressy silk blouse-I have dressed "down" to this on formal night to attend the show. Maybe that is not correct-I don't know-but I felt much better dressing in something like that then a pair of jeans or shorts. I stilll wanted to wear my pretty gown-so I did-but I guess I could have worn the slacks and blouse to dinner-as that is as dressy as many get anyway.

Now if I have sense enough to pick out a gown that does not require a strapless bra-I will stay in that all night-unless I am going to the lido.

:confused: Too '80s?? Not according to the new GAP commercial. White jeans are hot.

Well, I don't necessarily agree with everything that The Gap says is hot. ;) I've always thought white jeans were tacky. But that's just my personal preference. If you like them, and they look good on you, then go for it! :D

Well, I appreciate Verogiugio's perspective as a European and particularly as an Italian. As I mentioned in an earlier entry, we were on the Costa Tropicale two years ago out of Venezia (Venice) and there were a lot of jeans among the mostly European/mostly Italian passengers. Not in the Dining Room, of course, but in the public rooms in the evenings. And the Italians like to flaunt the expensive brand names.....these jeans were Diesel, Miss Sixty, D&G etc. And believe me, these ladies looked GOOD!

BTW, those Italians like to PARTY. What a fun cruise!

BobK/Orlando

Kingbobofthenorth

SEA PRINCESS May 2005 yeah baby!

You must have sailed on ships I have not been on! I totally disagree with this statement.

I have dined at the Captain's table over 20 times and also with the Hotel Director, Cruise Director, etc. These occasions have mostly been on formal nights. The Captain and his staff are dressed in their finest and many passengers are dressed in gowns and tuxes, as the occasion dictates.

The only ships IME where people seem to care less are Carnival. And that is one reason they do not get my money.

I am sorry but I really feel like all of you misunderstood my post and I think it is my fault since I am not an English native speaker. However, I never said that people are not dressed formal on formal nights! Never.

I just said that the what Americans define formal is not considered formal in Europe for istance and viceversa.

I just said that sometimes it is more classy and formal a long simple black dress than a huge beaded gown which can be good for a prom but not sor a Captain's party.

Since my boyfriend is a Command in Second and Safety Officer on The Carnival Pride I do know how people dress.

So, my post was not meant to say thhat people are not dress formal or that people should not dress formal. Of course, they should! i just wanted to make a point on what formal means around the world.

verogiugio, I understood exactly what you wrote. I do have to agree with you, sometimes a simple black dress looks nicer than an over-the-top beaded and glittery number that has probably seen better days. I tend to wear simpler dresses for formal nights, but that is my taste. What one person may feel pretty in another of us would feel like they stick out like a sore thumb.

I haven't yet been to Europe, but I hear you can pick out the Americans because of the bright colors and sneakers they all wear! I'm very much looking forward to visiting Italy and Spain in a couple of years and would very much like to know what is appropriate to wear. (Note to self....ditch the sneakers and tropical shirts when on my Med cruise!)

Please be patient with us, I know language and translation can be difficult. I had to read your post a couple of times before completely understanding it, but your message came through.

I am sorry but I really feel like all of you misunderstood my post and I think it is my fault since I am not an English native speaker. However, I never said that people are not dressed formal on formal nights! Never.

I just said that the what Americans define formal is not considered formal in Europe for istance and viceversa.

I just said that sometimes it is more classy and formal a long simple black dress than a huge beaded gown which can be good for a prom but not sor a Captain's party.

Since my boyfriend is a Command in Second and Safety Officer on The Carnival Pride I do know how people dress.

So, my post was not meant to say thhat people are not dress formal or that people should not dress formal. Of course, they should! i just wanted to make a point on what formal means around the world.

You made your point very well in your first 2 posts. I was going to reply then but never got to. Your English is WONDERFUL!

I totally agree with everything you said. So many in the US suffer from what I call "Dynasty(like the t.v. show) or the Donald" syndrome. Bigger, flashier and overdone conveys wealth, class and formality for some.

I like a more understated elegance. Clean lines coupled with accessories that flatter the look rather than compete for attention and a nice bag and shoes. I cringe when I see these red carpet interviews with stars with fussy dresses, crazy hair dos and baubles that are more ornate than a Macy's Christmas tree. Less is more in my book. I also believe a woman should dress to make herself feel beautiful rather than to "stand out". A woman who is self confident and feels good about herself doesn't needs others to notice her.

My formal wear as well as my other nice outifts are comfortable and wnjoyable to wear. Why would anyone buy anything that is a chore to wear?

Totally agree Caviargal. A cruiseline suggests attire for the evening, not just for a portion of it.

Like you, I don't understand all the "fuss" about the uncomfortableness. Why wear anything that hurts?

Jane

There's jeans and there's jeans. I've got some pretty snazzy April Cornell embellished jeans that cost more than my formal stuff. Sequins, embroidery, all that cute stuff. I think with the right accessories, nice shoes and a pretty top they would be fine on casual nights. They are a far cry from dungaries.

ondeckatsea,

Your confusing price with looks.

Price has no relationship whatsoever to whether something is casual or formal.

I love jeans, IF the wearer has the figure for them. However, if the cruiseline requests no jeans in the dining room, then most of us feel it's appropriate to abide by the dress code. That's really the gist of this thread.

Jane

Jane, help me with this one please. While I do understand the whole process with a fit model for sizing (or at least that is the way it used to be done for sizing) and the fact that with a better line of jeans you are paying for better quality of fabric, fit, construction, and quality overall, why wouldn't Lane Bryant want to put their customer in a better jean? Forgive my ignorance, but I have zero experience with any larger sized lines.

For the most part, are all of their pants the same cookie cutter pattern sizing?

BlueHerons,

It's really pretty simple actually.

The most important factor is reality. It is an undisputable fact that Plus size women simply will not pay as much for their clothing as Missy sized or Petite sized women. Now WHY that is so does remain a mystery, but it is an industry fact. Companies like Ellen Tracy who make great career clothes and evening separates have tried, but the women won't buy. One of the best companies for Plus sizes is Marina Rinaldi - they make beautiful things. However, their business is a drop in the bucket compared to their Missy sized clothing line, which is called Max Mara. So with over 54% of the American population being over a size 16, wouldn't you think that the Rinaldi portion of their business would be a lot larger? Nope, it's not even close!

Next fact: Seven Jeans for the missy customer are sold in high end department stores and boutiques. Seven jeans for Lane Bryant are sold in a mass market store where people expect items to be within a certain price range. As a missy customer, you'd expect to see $200. jeans in Sak's, but you'd never expect to see a pair at that price in a store like The Limited, would you? Well Lane Bryant is like The Limited, not like Sak's.

As far as "cookie cutter" sizing. Well, I wouldn't really call it that. Plus sizing has a whole different scale and deals with a variety of figures. I think that stores like Lane Bryant take their most successful fits and then use them for fashion looks like the Seven Jean. I don't fault them for that - they're looking to build upon a successful silhouette and give their customer fashion.

Does that answer your question and make sense to you?

However, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the Seven's Missy business if/when the Lane Byrant Seven's business takes off. Anyone know the difference in price between the two? If the Lane Bryant Seven's are, for example 50-70% less pricey than the regular line, it'll kill their missy business as that customer is now being told that the jeans really aren't worth the price.

Jane

... your English is fair, but I could tell that you were NOT American, by your posting. Read between the lines.

Right. On the other hand, politeness is not a matter of citizenship, apparently.

You can find kind people all over the world..same for unfriendly people..

Archived