Insulin question

nobody137

We are in the planning stages of our second cruise, and this time we're bringing the whole family. But a question came up. My sister in law is diabetic and has insulin that requires it to be refrigerated, but there are no fridges in the room. Do we just keep it packed in ice, or does Carnival have another solution?

Hi...you will probably get a lot of ideas/"opinions", info on what their Aunt Sally did 5 years ago, etc here

but

your best bet is to contact Carnival Special Needs

and get the facts about YOUR ship/sailing

They accommodate people who have to store insulin

just need to make pre-arrangements

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

a form from special needs

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

Have a good cruise !

If you are on a older ship, true they do not have fridges. Their solution is to store them at the purser's desk, which is VERY inconvenient.

For the record insulin does not have to be refrigerated unless its not used up for a long period of time... but if she is one who doesnt use much, like my friend, then I would bring some little thing to store it in myself. coolers 12 x 12 x 12 or smaller are allowed.

she will need a sharps container, and you can arrange this ahead of time, though it might not be there when you board and you will likely have to ask for it again.

We are in the planning stages of our second cruise, and this time we're bringing the whole family. But a question came up. My sister in law is diabetic and has insulin that requires it to be refrigerated, but there are no fridges in the room. Do we just keep it packed in ice, or does Carnival have another solution?

Hello,

Call Carnival and let them know that you need a fridge for insulin and they WILL accommodate you. The cruise line accommodated me when I needed to have medicated injections refrigerated. As soon as I got to my cabin, there was a small fridge that was put there for my meds :)

Have fun!

-Cynthia

Hello,

Call Carnival and let them know that you need a fridge for insulin and they WILL accommodate you. The cruise line accommodated me when I needed to have medicated injections refrigerated. As soon as I got to my cabin, there was a small fridge that was put there for my meds :)

Have fun!

-Cynthia

this might or might not be true of the OPs ship though. I have also heard of some older ships that they do not have the little fridges to put into the cabins .. and they were told they had to keep it at the pursers desk if they wanted it refrigerated.

you cant make generalizations like this ... just because it happened to you one time.

this might or might not be true of the OPs ship though. I have also heard of some older ships that they do not have the little fridges to put into the cabins .. and they were told they had to keep it at the pursers desk if they wanted it refrigerated.

you cant make generalizations like this ... just because it happened to you one time.

Thats why its best to have the FRIO pouches. This way you are covered regardless. If you get the fridge, great as you have two methods to keep it cool. If you dont get the fridge, you arent screwed.

If you contact the special needs dept ahead of time you won't need to guess if your ship can accommodate you or not.

Diabetes/ Medicine Storage

If you are traveling with injectable medication(s) and need a container for disposal, please contact the Medical Center or Housekeeping staff onboard. Staterooms are equipped with mini-bars, which are designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Please do not use it to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Should you need to store medicine that needs proper refrigeration, please visit Guest Services where access to a refrigerator is available 24 hours a day. Ships equipped with mini-bars are:

CARNIVAL BREEZE

CARNIVAL CONQUEST

CARNIVAL DREAM

CARNIVAL FREEDOM

CARNIVAL GLORY

CARNIVAL LEGEND

CARNIVAL LIBERTY

CARNIVAL MAGIC

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

CARNIVAL PRIDE

CARNIVAL SPIRIT

CARNIVAL SPLENDOR

CARNIVAL VALOR

specialneeds@carnival.com

Hi...you will probably get a lot of ideas/"opinions", info on what their Aunt Sally did 5 years ago, etc here

but

your best bet is to contact Carnival Special Needs

and get the facts about YOUR ship/sailing

They accommodate people who have to store insulin

just need to make pre-arrangements

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

a form from special needs

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

Have a good cruise !

Totally agree with this...the Special Needs department has helped me before, and they are a very good resource for this kind of thing.

Hello,

Have fun!

-Cynthia

I have to disagree with your assurance that Carnival WILL accommodate you. The truth is that Carnival MIGHT accommodate you. I cruised about 2 years ago with a friend who is diabetic, and even though she called Special Needs about a small fridge for her insulin and even though it was noted on her reservation, she was told they did not have a fridge for her. She had to store her insulin at Guest Services, stand in line to ask for it, return to the cabin or a public restroom for her injection, and stand in line again to return the insulin. She never got a Sharps container even though she asked several times.

Agreed. The FRIO pouches are a lifesaver! Easy to use and you're in complete control.

The Frio pouches make it all a non-issue.

Best money I ever spent, if you travel and are diabetic you need to have these.

My best friend is type one. We just cruised . I asked her about it and she said room temp and no direct sunlight that was fine for her medication.. There is always ice available ..

My best friend is type one. We just cruised . I asked her about it and she said room temp and no direct sunlight that was fine for her medication.. There is always ice available ..

But what about Lantus? Maybe the poster will say what kind of insulin she's on. Some are okay with no refrigeration, some are not.

But what about Lantus? Maybe the poster will say what kind of insulin she's on. Some are okay with no refrigeration, some are not.

True ... My friends meds didnt require refrigeration.. She also does not do the injections but rather has an insulin pump with three days of insulin attached to her .

I use Lantus Solostar and Novolog Flexpen. Its basically just the same thing but in a "pen."

I have to disagree with your assurance that Carnival WILL accommodate you. The truth is that Carnival MIGHT accommodate you. I cruised about 2 years ago with a friend who is diabetic, and even though she called Special Needs about a small fridge for her insulin and even though it was noted on her reservation, she was told they did not have a fridge for her. She had to store her insulin at Guest Services, stand in line to ask for it, return to the cabin or a public restroom for her injection, and stand in line again to return the insulin. She never got a Sharps container even though she asked several times.

I received both about a year and a half ago. A fridge and a sharps container. I guess they have changed their rules. Thank God I don't need it anymore.

-Cynthia

What you DON'T want to do is store the vial of insulin on ice! Once insulin freezes (and it will freeze) you can't use it. I recently did a 9 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Spirit and the room steward gave me a sharps container but my "extra insulin" which is Lantus and my extra Novalog Pen did not require any refrigeration. You can easily get around this "problem" however by taking a new, fresh bottle of Lantus...mine lasts 28 days and I take 80 units every night!

What you DON'T want to do is store the vial of insulin on ice! Once insulin freezes (and it will freeze) you can't use it. I recently did a 9 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Spirit and the room steward gave me a sharps container but my "extra insulin" which is Lantus and my extra Novalog Pen did not require any refrigeration. You can easily get around this "problem" however by taking a new, fresh bottle of Lantus...mine lasts 28 days and I take 80 units every night!

Cold insulin sucks anyway...its painful going in.

Archived