Help with Halifax, Charlottetown, & Sydney

I've been swamped with work, so I haven't had the time to plan like I normally do. However, I have secured rental cars in these three ports and have downloaded the suggested driving routes provided by our generous CCers. What I don't know is what each of the towns have to offer. Of these three ports, should I leave time to just stroll the down by the pier? What might I miss by heading out in the rental car?

I had considered cancelling the rental car in one of these ports; however, each of the routes suggested had something intriguing to offer. In addition, there are three of us, so a car rental is the most affordable option compared to organized tours.

Thanks!

Halifax has lots of things to see along the waterfront and in the vicinity of the waterfront. You could spend a day here without renting a car. However Peggy's Cove is scenic too. If you go there try to go right away to get ahead of all the tour busses. If you ever plan to come back this way (and I am confident you will want to after getting a peek) then you could leave Peggy's Cove for a land trip when you can come later in the day when the bulk of the crowds are gone.

Charlottetown is pretty to walk around in, but the scenery in the countryside and along the north shore is much more interesting.

There is not much of interest in Sydney, so for sure you will want to get in the car right away.

I gather you have done some searches here which is great. If you have any more questions, ask away.

Thanks for posting your question. I am wondering the same thing. We are on the Maasdam sailing from Montreal on May 26. Yesterday, I booked a car rental in Charlottetown, PEI, but am wondering if I should do the same for Sydney. We have been to Halifax/Peggy's Cove before.

I've been swamped with work, so I haven't had the time to plan like I normally do. However, I have secured rental cars in these three ports and have downloaded the suggested driving routes provided by our generous CCers. What I don't know is what each of the towns have to offer. Of these three ports, should I leave time to just stroll the down by the pier? What might I miss by heading out in the rental car?

I had considered cancelling the rental car in one of these ports; however, each of the routes suggested had something intriguing to offer. In addition, there are three of us, so a car rental is the most affordable option compared to organized tours.

Thanks!

This web site gives great info on Charlottetown.

http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-things-to-do

What I do for each port I visit is contact the local Tourism Office. I did so for Halifax in the past and they sent a lot of free info. When in Halifax we visited the Maritime Museum which is right in walking distance from the ship. We also visited the Citadel which while within walking distance is up hill about 6-7 blocks.

What I do for each port I visit is contact the local Tourism Office. I did so for Halifax in the past and they sent a lot of free info. When in Halifax we visited the Maritime Museum which is right in walking distance from the ship. We also visited the Citadel which while within walking distance is up hill about 6-7 blocks.

And don't forget the Public Gardens. Very beautiful and not far from the Citadel - all within walking distance of the pier.

Thanks for the PEI site. However, there is SO much to decide upon. There are three "drives" but all out 200 km and over. I wonder if anyone can suggest places to stop for the day we are in port? I will write the tourist office and see if we can get info ahead of time, however, would appreciate any insight on where to head out in a rental car from one who has done so. Thanks

http://*******/maps/lb7Y

Here is a map of places of interest. If you do not want to see the Confederation Bridge you could bypass Borden-Carlton. Along the north shore you should drive through the National Park.

For more information from past cruisers, try using the search feature. Look for the blue bar at the top of every page.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the northeast side of PEI. St. Peters is very quaint and beautiful. You can rent bikes and ride a gorgeous stretch of the Confederation Trail. Greenwich Natl Park is close and is very nice also. You can continue east along the north side road all the way to east point and the lighthouse, then wrap back around south side of the island. Singing Sand beach and Basin Head. Don't both stopping in Souris. Continue towards Montague. You can take a boat ride on the "river", then down route 4 to High Bank area (more gorgeous red cliffs). Then back to Charlottetown. I would estimate driving time for this without any stops to be about 3-4 hours??? So you'd probably have to narrow down exactly what part you want to see.

Thanks!

Hi there, check this out for Saint John!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1651423

Have fun!

Just wanted to add that we had a great experiences with Budget in Charlottetown. The driver, George, met us at the pier. His wife, Mary Ann, is the manager, and had everything ready for us when we arrived. We are FastBreak members also. Gas stations were right next door to the rental agency. Very easy drive to the Anne of Green Gables site, national seashore etc. Had lunch and drove down to the Downtown area and went to some stores there. Cost us $41 for the car for three of us.

Archived