Shopping in St Maarten- limited time

GetNAway

We are booked for a daysail on our port day in St Maarten. We'll finish with the excursion about 3:00 when we will be transported by van back to the Carnival dock or driver can drop us off in Phillipsburg for on our own (as in find our own transport back to the ship) shopping time. The Dream is scheduled to leave at 5:00PM. Is it at all reasonable to consider that enough time to shop a bit and make it back in time?

Is there someplace that provides shopping suggestions for Phillipsburg or are there souvenir shopping choices nearby the ship?

Thanks!

We are booked for a daysail on our port day in St Maarten. We'll finish with the excursion about 3:00 when we will be transported by van back to the Carnival dock or driver can drop us off in Phillipsburg for on our own (as in find our own transport back to the ship) shopping time. The Dream is scheduled to leave at 5:00PM. Is it at all reasonable to consider that enough time to shop a bit and make it back in time?

Is there someplace that provides shopping suggestions for Phillipsburg or are there souvenir shopping choices nearby the ship?

Thanks!

You will find all you are looking for on Front St in Phillipsburg and a couple of the alleys off of Front St.. If you ask the driver to drop you near the court house you can shop as you are heading in the direction of the ship. You will have plenty of offers to take a short 5 minute of so taxi ride or continue to walk towards the pier. From the end of the shopping area it should take no longer than 15 minutes to walk back to the ship. Give yourself 1/2 just in case though. There are also stores right outside the pier area if you prefer that.

It totally depends on what you are shopping for, just a souvenir, or something else.

St. Maarten has the best shopping in the Caribbean, in my opinion.

gary

I would agree, I bought my camera there last year and got a good deal. The merchants were a bit of fresh air compared to those of Cozumel

Enjoy my superb signature.

I'll put in a plug for the St. Maarten museum run by a nice lady who appreciates visitors. It's small but has a lot of interesting exhibits, plus a nice little gift shop with books, postcards, magnets, artwork, jewelry, dolls, and fish made from palm tree parts that she dries and paints; they're very cute!

Here's a link for the gift shop; you can see some of the fish hanging from the ceiling.

http://www.museumsintmaarten.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114&Itemid=110

You will find all you are looking for on Front St in Phillipsburg and a couple of the alleys off of Front St.. If you ask the driver to drop you near the court house you can shop as you are heading in the direction of the ship. You will have plenty of offers to take a short 5 minute of so taxi ride or continue to walk towards the pier. From the end of the shopping area it should take no longer than 15 minutes to walk back to the ship. Give yourself 1/2 just in case though. There are also stores right outside the pier area if you prefer that.

I'm leaving Sunday:eek: and trying to find some shopping, beach, etc. I will be on the Allure. I keep hearing about Phillipsburg and Marigot. Can you or someone tell me about the Two. We just like shopping at local vendors and souviers(sp?) which is the best place? Orient beach is where I think we will head, how far is it fr either place? Thanks to all who respond, I'm in a hurry :)

Thanks!

Susan,

Our excursion dropped us off downtown around 3pm, we shopped for an hour which for me was a reasonable time. We then walked back to the ship (Royal's Allure) which I assume docks in the same area. I found the 1/2 mile walk from the downtown area to the ship was faster than trying to get on board the water taxi and you save money.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Bill! Appreciate the info! My last trip to the area by the time we got done with our afternoon of fun in the sun I was so sun-soaked and water-logged I don't remember anything about the shopping at all! I think I can manage a half hour walk!

Everybody had lots of wonderful tips- this is such a helpful board!

Nothing in particular - I'm not big on souvenirs but we have never looked around the shops on our previous trips - just played on the water!

If you mean the beach in town I would suggest doing a search on this board about pollution at that beach. There is plenty of shopping to keep you busy on Front and Back St in the town of Phillipsburg.

There are a number of shops back at the Cruise Facility, itself, if you're pressed for time, but for what we consider the best shopping in the Caribbean, head to Frontstreet, downtown.

Jewelry, booze and table linens are high on our shopping list.

I would encourage you to go right now and measure your tables and put the measurements with your travel documents. We buy at Linen Galore or Mr. Tablecloth.

gary

p.s. I agree with karysa about avoiding the water in Great Bay. The beach itself is fine for catching a few rays and enjoying a cold one.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been looking for a new holiday tablecloth so that might be just the ticket! Thanks for the suggestion to try Linen Galore and Mr Tablecloth!

Can you recall some typical prices for the table linens? Just curious - no biggie if not!

They have such a range of quality, size and packaging that it's difficult to just throw out a price, but my wife has been overjoyed with every purchase over the years.

I know that we've come home with a number of table runners that we found for about $3 in their clearance section. They made for great gifts.

She says that one of our nicest (embroidered) in quality material was about $40 for our good sized table, and that included 12 matching napkins.

She suggests that you have a really good idea of what you're looking for (if you're looking specifically for a holiday, guess that's done), but compare quality and don't be afraid to ask if they can do a bit better on the price originally quoted. Quantity purchases should bring a discount, and don't forget to check the clearance and/or seconds section.

gary

I'm assuming that you already have the measurements, right? :)

We do shop at both Linens Galore and Mr. Tablecloth, but NOT Natraj (if they're even still in business).

Found websites for both of the stores you recommended and their photos make the store look like sensory overload!! I might never get out of there! Looks like really beautiful things! I'll take the measurements with me along with the sister-in-laws. Your wife is right those will make lovely gifts and great for stocking the "oh, I forgot the shower was today!" and need a gift fast closet! lol! Table runners would be great for hostess gifts too! So glad you popped in!

Archived