"Hairspray" on Oasis - kid appropriate?

Hi all,

We are sailing on the Oasis in late June with 13 people including 5 children ages 5-9. We have reservations for all of the shows. Someone recently told me that she didn't think Hairspray was appropriate for the kids. Would love to know what others think.

Thanks!

Saw it is April. I was disappointed, however I do think it is kid friendly.

That's too bad. I had heard that the entertainment was great! Any other shows that were a disappointment, really good, or otherwise?

Loved the Aqua Theater show, Headliner show (ABBA tribute band) and the comedy show.

I found Come Fly with Me a little dull although there were entertaining parts and the ice Show started slow but picked up. Bear in mind here in Canada we see skating all the time so I guess I am a little jaded.

That said they are all worth seeing and everyone can judge for themselves.

We saw it last summer and loved it. Very talented performers. The Hairspray video is questionable but I thought the modified stage show on the ship was great. It will likely generate some questions - is that a man playing a woman? etc but it was high energy and very entertaining.

You'll love the ship!!

My wife and I completely loved the show. The actors are very talented and the show was upbeat and entertaining. The show deals with some social issues but I do not believe anything about the show would be kid unfriendly. Actually, I believe exposure to the show's message would a positive experience for children.

I've seen the movie as well as the broadway play and I don't think it is inappropriate at all. In fact, it might start a healthy discussion about important issues. The story mostly deals with the civil rights issues in the 1960s, as well as how you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and to give everyone a chance. Very positive lessons for any age! :D

Loved Hairspray...yes it is fine for the kids. I didn't think anything about it was racy or inappropriate. The only thing I would say is that little ones may not "get" broadway shows and that it may be sort of boring for them.

I didn't care for Come Fly with Me. I thought it was a let down after the Aqua Theatre, Ice Show, and Hairspray shows. I could have easily skipped it and gone to a repeat of any of the others. Hairspray was definitely my favorite. Amazing talent and their voices were superb. Some of the actors from Hairspray did a music mini show at the Aqua Theatre one night. That was fun as well.

I have seen Hairspray on Broadway and 3 times on the Oasis. My nephews were 7 and 9 the first time they saw it on Oasis they loved it so much they actually became facebook friends with the actress who played Penny. I enjoyed it very much. I was lucky enough to have seen it with the great Harvey Feinstein playing Edna (that was hysterical ).

I didn't care for Come Fly with Me. I thought it was a let down after the Aqua Theatre, Ice Show, and Hairspray shows. I could have easily skipped it and gone to a repeat of any of the others.

It was the last show we saw and that's EXACTLY how I felt about it. It seemed like a let down after all the other amazing shows. Could have easily skipped it as well.

I haven't seen Oasis version- in September I may.

If its like the Broadway musical version then yes, but if its the original John Waters movie then no. I sell Ticketmaster at my job and most Broadway musicals we are told not for children under 8. for 8 years and older, some like Lion King, Marry Poppins which is directed at kids. then again I grew up going to Broadway shows. I find its up to the parents to decide and most kids are bored with most musicals.

Archived