Packing for evenings on ship

Debb0223

What should we pack for the evenings (dinner and such) while we are on the ship? How cool is the temperature on the ship (Celebrity Infinity)? Can DH wear dockers, shirt and tie? Ladies - dress pants and top with pashmina or little sweater? Just a little help would be good. Thanx!

The hubby and I just left the Celebrity Infinity May 11th after spending thirty-one nights on board (b2b Panama Canal cruises). I am still in that period of adjusting to daily life on land. Not only is it a shock to find no chocolates on a turned down bed at night, it is an even greater shock to realize in the morning that either the hubby or I am going to need to actually make the bed!

We were also on the Infinity last May for an Alaska cruise. Celebrity expects smart casual and above in the evenings on non-formal nights. On formal nights the dress code for the specialty restaurants (including Blu) is smart casual and above, but we have found that a great many passengers still observe formal night in the specialty restaurants. While the dress on the two Alaska cruises we have done on Celebrity were a little more casual than the other Celebrity cruises we have done, on the Infinity last May the maitre d's were turning away men without jackets at the MDR on formal nights.

While I frequently find cruise ships to be a little over air-conditioned, I have never had any problems wearing short sleeves on any Celebrity ship.

I would suggest that you refer to Celebrity's dress code, it is the same in the Caribbean or Europe as it is in Alaska. As for temperatures in dining venues, they can tend to be a bit cool until the venue fills so some ladies do like to bring a light sweater.

Thankfully we are in Blu and I guess now will always be as hubby thinks formal nights are old fashioned and ridiculous. He refuses to pose for overpriced pictures and actually would be fine eating in the buffet if he had to as long as he could be comfortable. Too many years of working at home I guess!

My husband is ballking at dressing up "on vacation". I think the most he will do is a shirt and tie with dress pants. I'm trying to decide whether to dress up more or wear black slacks and nice sweater. What do ya'll think? Also I have waited too late to find something like North Face gloves and hats. Do you think knit will be useless?

Thanx for the help. My husband also doesn't want to dress on vacation. I'm going the black pants, fancy tops and sweater type cover. Good enough. Of course, I'm going to need a lot of shoes - LOL.

We are on the Millenium in June, and there are 2 formal nights. I hit Goodwill yesterday and found a brand new Chadwicks black long dress, not "wedding looking", still with tags, for $5.47!!! So one of the 2 nights I'm goin' formal!

My wife has to dress up everyday for her job and it is a break for her not to have all the glitz on during vacation/time to relax. Maybe she can even just pull her hair back for a week, and for me ties are out. What educated man would put a slip knot around his neck?

Archived