Ship rocking?/upgrades?

lolmerry

Just a question,,,,Why is the higher decks on a ship more expensive? I thought that the higher deck you are the more you will feel the ship movement ,Is this right? Im sailing on the new Breeze in september on a balcony deck 10,lido deck,Any comments?Also does anyone know the chances of upgrades to a suite,and what sort of differance moneywise,

many thanks for replies Lolmerry

Just a question,,,,Why is the higher decks on a ship more expensive? I thought that the higher deck you are the more you will feel the ship movement ,Is this right? Im sailing on the new Breeze in september on a balcony deck 10,lido deck,Any comments?Also does anyone know the chances of upgrades to a suite,and what sort of differance moneywise,

many thanks for replies Lolmerry

Who told you that?

Only once did i ever feel queezy on a cruise and that was lower deck pursers desk almost mid ship,it was rough seas and the confinement along with movement made me reach for sea sick meds! I couldnt wait to get top deck!

Most enjoy the "Rock and Roll" no mater what part of the ship you are in!

Mid ship Aft or Forward I cant say I have felt any difference? The ship moves in a strange way sometimes and not what people are used to thats all:)

Although I do believe they pull in the stabilizers after midnight because its always rocking at that time, plenty of beer maybe?:D

Den

Who told you that?

Only once did i ever feel queezy on a cruise and that was lower deck pursers desk almost mid ship,it was rough seas and the confinement along with movement made me reach for sea sick meds! I couldnt wait to get top deck!

Mid ship Aft or Forward I cant say I have felt any difference? The ship moves in a strange way sometimes and not what people are used to thats all:)

Although I do believe they pull in the stabilizers after midnight because its always rocking at that time, plenty of beer maybe?:D

Den

The higher the deck, the better access you have to public decks. That's considered a "prime" location. The downside for the higher decks is you have public areas on the floors above you and beneath you. Carefully look over the ship diagram. For less rocking, book the middle of the ship on a lower deck. I always stay on a lower deck. I prefer main deck because there are only passenger cabins above and below.

Good luck & have fun!!

I think it's the psychological aspect of being high above the water that prompts people to pay more for upper levels. The balconies are up there too... I'm not super fearful but I would not want an aquarium porthole view in rough weather.

With that said, I do think that people underestimate the importance of choosing cabins that minimize their chances of seasickness-especially if they are susceptible. I saw a lot of sick people on our last Carnival cruise, and the seas weren't even that bad... (and I get queasy easy). My DIL felt badly... I thought we just didn't see them much because they were newlyweds!:):D

If you are extremely susceptible to motion sickness, I don't think it matters much where you are on the ship, although most people seem to think mid-ship on deck 3 or 4 is where you'll feel less motion. We're fortunate that we aren't susceptible to motion sickness. We prefer a balcony cabin on at least deck 6 (or higher), somewhat close to the aft. I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that you're less likely to get motion sickness if you've had something to eat than if you have an empty stomach. Could be part of the reason why there's food available 24 hours a day. As to why the cabins on the higher decks are more expensive, it's based on demand, much like high-rise condos. Because the Breeze is a brand new ship loaded with all kinds of amenities, it costs more than some of the other ships. I did a comparison between the Liberty and the Breeze both sailing the exact same itinerary in May of next year. The Liberty is cheaper. We'd love to sail on the Breeze, but it's a little out of our budget for right now. Maybe in a couple of years if things improve for us financially.

I always stay as high up as I can afford. Don't know why....have just always done it that way. I do prefer being toward the aft of the ship. I have never noticed movement and I'm very susceptible to motion sickness....I have to take Dramamine to fly! Bring Bonine along and have only taken it once.

Who told you that?

Den

Its a fact, lol.

If you cant feel the difference in higher decks or way aft or forward for yourself, then perhaps you have not been in higher waves??

The more you pay the more you sway. They dont say this because its not true. Its true.

Its a fact, lol.

If you cant feel the difference in higher decks or way aft or forward for yourself, then perhaps you have not been in higher waves??

The more you pay the more you sway. They dont say this because its not true. Its true.

I have been in pretty rough seas far in the pacific were tons of people were sea sick. I have never been lower than Upper deck and I only felt queezy at the lower levels inside while walking around.

I have crossed the channel from England to France many times and in ultra rough weather and then it doesn't matter where you are on the ship.

I like Aft and high and dont mind the huge shudders sideways i have sailed midship and it feels no different to me except the lack of vibrations, I get sea sick very easy on a small ship without sea sick meds.

I think if you are prone to travel sickness then you need meds if not it doesnt matter where you are on the ship,more movement or less movement is still movement that you are not used to.

This is just my opinion though and seasickness can be a horror story for some and pleasant trip for others even in moderate seas.

Den

Archived