Hotel near IAH for Galveston cruise

ukdeblarz

Hi All,

I'm looking for help finding a hotel near IAH airport to stay in the night before our cruise. I have transfers booked through Carnival to pick us up at the airport the next day.

There are plenty of hotels available with a free shuttle BUT

I am specifically looking for a hotel that has a convenience store, drug store, or grocery store within a couple blocks walk. I like to buy some soda pop and toiletries to take with me when I cruise.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm looking for help finding a hotel near IAH airport to stay in the night before our cruise. I have transfers booked through Carnival to pick us up at the airport the next day.

There are plenty of hotels available with a free shuttle BUT

I am specifically looking for a hotel that has a convenience store, drug store, or grocery store within a couple blocks walk. I like to buy some soda pop and toiletries to take with me when I cruise.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

The area around IAH is NOT GOOD and I would never consider walking anywhere around there. The immediate area of the airport doesn't have any shopping and when you get around the Greenspoint area ("fondly" called Gunspoint by Houstonians), I wouldn't want to be out and about.

The area around IAH is NOT GOOD and I would never consider walking anywhere around there. The immediate area of the airport doesn't have any shopping and when you get around the Greenspoint area ("fondly" called Gunspoint by Houstonians), I wouldn't want to be out and about.

The area around IAH is nowhere near Greenspoint and you do not need to worry about your safety at IAH, as long as you use common sense and good judgement.

That being said, there are no convenience stores or grocery stores around IAH and there are no walking paths or sidewalks in that area. I wouldn't venture out on foot.

But there are plenty of hotels with shuttles:

Holiday Inn

Sheraton

DoubleTree

Hampton Inn

La Quinta

Hilton Garden Inn

SpringHill Suites

TownPlace Suites

Fairfield Inn

Try looking in Humble. It's just outside the airport and you may be able to find a place with a shuttle. Plus, it is more residential so you'll be able to find shopping. But you still won't be able to walk anywhere. It just isn't done in Houston.

The area around IAH is nowhere near Greenspoint and you do not need to worry about your safety at IAH, as long as you use common sense and good judgement.

That being said, there are no convenience stores or grocery stores around IAH and there are no walking paths or sidewalks in that area. I wouldn't venture out on foot.

But there are plenty of hotels with shuttles:

Holiday Inn

Sheraton

DoubleTree

Hampton Inn

La Quinta

Hilton Garden Inn

SpringHill Suites

TownPlace Suites

Fairfield Inn

Try looking in Humble. It's just outside the airport and you may be able to find a place with a shuttle. Plus, it is more residential so you'll be able to find shopping. But you still won't be able to walk anywhere. It just isn't done in Houston.

Well, I think Greenspoint is relatively close to IAH and about the closest area with shopping except perhaps over on 59 - and I wouldn't care to be out and about over there anymore than the 45 area or the area around 8 between them! Guess I'm just a little more cautious than you are. :)

Thanks everyone,

Guess I will have to do without my 12 pack of diet Mt Dew for a week.

Unless is there anywhere to buy soda and hairspray and Lysol right at the port when we get off the Carnival transfer bus?

Thanks everyone,

Guess I will have to do without my 12 pack of diet Mt Dew for a week.

Unless is there anywhere to buy soda and hairspray and Lysol right at the port when we get off the Carnival transfer bus?

IAH is not that close to Greenspoint Mall area. You could probably have the shuttle take you just a couple of miles into Humble over off of 59 North. There is a Target over there, and the regular chain stores at several of the shopping centers. It is as safe there as you can be in any large city! My sister lives in Kingwood and I've shopped all around the area. So, just ask the hotel if they will shuttle you to Target. You'll be fine!!!

Well, I think Greenspoint is relatively close to IAH and about the closest area with shopping except perhaps over on 59 - and I wouldn't care to be out and about over there anymore than the 45 area or the area around 8 between them! Guess I'm just a little more cautious than you are. :)

I guess distance is relative and depending on what part of Houston you are from, Greenspoint might appear close to the airport. Similarly, I won't go near the Galleria or anywhere in SW Houston because it seems like the news always reports terrible things from there.

I work right off JFK, going into the airport. To me Greenspoint is too far even to drive for lunch -- you have to cross like 3 highways (Beltway, Hardy, 45) to get there - it's 9 miles away from the airport. I wouldn't walk to Greenspoint from the aiport because it is way too far. I wouldn't walk around JFK either, but not because of fear of crime. I wouldn't walk because it just isn't pedestrian friendly.

The area around Hwy 59/FM 1960 in Humble is not the prettiest, but it is perfectly safe. There is a Kroger, Target, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club -- all the normal suburban trappings. If the hotel isn't willing to work with you and shuttle you to these locations, it would be cheap and easy to call a taxi.

The hotels around IAH are also safe. The most I've heard of is some theft when someone left laptops sitting on the front seat of their car. But violent crime is not common in this area.

I guess distance is relative and depending on what part of Houston you are from, Greenspoint might appear close to the airport. Similarly, I won't go near the Galleria or anywhere in SW Houston because it seems like the news always reports terrible things from there.

I work right off JFK, going into the airport. To me Greenspoint is too far even to drive for lunch -- you have to cross like 3 highways (Beltway, Hardy, 45) to get there - it's 9 miles away from the airport. I wouldn't walk to Greenspoint from the aiport because it is way too far. I wouldn't walk around JFK either, but not because of fear of crime. I wouldn't walk because it just isn't pedestrian friendly.

The area around Hwy 59/FM 1960 in Humble is not the prettiest, but it is perfectly safe. There is a Kroger, Target, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club -- all the normal suburban trappings. If the hotel isn't willing to work with you and shuttle you to these locations, it would be cheap and easy to call a taxi.

The hotels around IAH are also safe. The most I've heard of is some theft when someone left laptops sitting on the front seat of their car. But violent crime is not common in this area.

This is all true. It would be much closer from IAH to go to the Humble area which is safe as is the immediate area around IAH.

Do NOT stay in the Greenspoint area. Humble is fine, not pedestrian friendly like a pp already said, but nowhere in Houston is. But Greenspoint is not safe. I live in Spring, which is just north of Greenspoint, and while it's fine during the day, I wouldn't want to stay there at night.

There are little convenience stores on the Strand, right by the terminal, and when we went on our last cruise (also our first cruise), we saw people getting off the ship and walking around Galveston, just like any other port, so that might be a possibility?

If someone isn't from the area they could end up asking a shuttle driver to take them to Greenspoint without knowing what they might be getting into.

A few years ago my company held a two day seminar at the IAH Hilton. I was the only person of the 150 or so in attendance from Houston and so had many people ask me about things to do in the area. Quite a few started off with "So I hear there's a mall not too far from here" ;)

Archived