How to decide? Which aft, which ship? Do you like to weigh in on other's trips?

I could use your opinions...DH and I usually travel in Dec to celebrate our birthdays. I'm looking at 2 cruises out of San Juan in late 2013 on which I was able to snag fabulous aft cabins and having a tough time deciding:

Jewel deck 10 cabin 1102 D2

going to 5 S Caribbean ports in 7 days BVI, SMX, ST Kitts, Dominica, Barbados and 1 sea day

$300 more than other option

Pros: love Jewel, love the Jewel WJ, love aft balcony on this ship- panoramic view, 2 new ports and the other 3 are favorites, possibly "quieter crowd" with less bells and whistles onboard?

cons: not as much to do onboard, food options, more money (but not a budget issue), cabin has possible noise from WJ, but most say they don't notice it.

Adventure Deck 7 cabin 7688 D2

going to St Thomas, ST Kitts, Aruba and Curacao, 2 sea days

Pros: We loved NOS..and enjoy a Promenade, 2 new ports and 1 we liked previously, 1 is meh, balcony more shady areas.

Cons: balcony more obstructed but larger, possibly younger rowdier crowd attracted by more "bells and whistles"

Would love all opinions...I would not have known which cabins to snag without the advice and reviews of people on this board Thanks to you all:D...so make your cases for which cruise, photos will help;)

Tired mommy speaking, so I'm biased...I think the Jewel itinerary sounds fantastic, and the idea of a smaller, quieter ship sounds wonderful! I notice from your signature that you're going on Allure in the spring...so why not make the fall trip on a smaller ship with fewer bells and whistles? Especially if you don't have kids with you! :) Good luck...you really can't go wrong either way!

Do you like to weigh in on others' trips??

hee hee ... are you kidding?? that's all we ever do around here!

All joking aside, though, this is a great forum for asking questions and getting great info ...

Never been on Jewel, but those ports look really good, we haven't been to all of them and we love new ports!

We've been on Adventure out of San Juan, loved the ship, loved the ports. I don't recall it being particulary "rowdy" though ... we like the mix of ages on RCCL. We've taken some longer cruises on HAL (75 days coming up soon!) and we're usually the among youngest aboard, other than the crew!

Tired mommy speaking, so I'm biased...I think the Jewel itinerary sounds fantastic, and the idea of a smaller, quieter ship sounds wonderful! I notice from your signature that you're going on Allure in the spring...so why not make the fall trip on a smaller ship with fewer bells and whistles? Especially if you don't have kids with you! :) Good luck...you really can't go wrong either way!

I hear you Mom;)! This our annual "on our own" cruise and the last one we went on Oasis and my DH did love it, but felt he was sharing me with so many other things going on:p, so the idea of Jewel is sooo appealing! We are taking the kids on Allure, cause its the perfect ship for our teens! I was on Jewel in Feb with my mom and the kids and I know DH would love it. And I'd love to get another trip in before the "improvements"; I love that huge wrap around the stern WJ!

Do you like to weigh in on others' trips??

hee hee ... are you kidding?? that's all we ever do around here!

All joking aside, though, this is a great forum for asking questions and getting great info ...

Never been on Jewel, but those ports look really good, we haven't been to all of them and we love new ports!

We've been on Adventure out of San Juan, loved the ship, loved the ports. I don't recall it being particulary "rowdy" though ... we like the mix of ages on RCCL. We've taken some longer cruises on HAL (75 days coming up soon!) and we're usually the among youngest aboard, other than the crew!

I KNOW! Thats why I asked;) But really so many people have cruised these ships that you can get some great ideas.

Aww, now you are making me think Adventure would be fun, especially if its not as party hearty as I was imagining. I enjoy a mix too, but for our "a duex" cruise we do prefer a ship with fewer kids.

One of the other things that makes the choice hard is that Adventure is exactly during our regular "time" we usually cruise but Jewel we would have to cruise in November. It's too early to know if there will be a Diamonds in December; I don't think they've offered one this year, so prob not, then the date wouldn't matter so much. (Not a "problem" really- as my kids would say "First World problem, Mom:rolleyes:)

Ah. We've been through the same decision dilemnas! We love all the possibilities and don't mind returning to ports we've visited previously.

The Jewel itinerary is port intensive, so the concern of "not as much to do onboard" may not matter as much. We were on the Serenade in February, also port intensive, and had no issue with not enough to do onboard.

We are going on Adventure next February and our deciding factor was that it is a Sunday cruise date. I was extremely nervous traveling in winter on the day of our Serenade cruise (poor planning on our part when booking airfare although everything turned out fine). Next year we'll fly on Saturday for the Sunday cruise and enjoy a day in San Juan.

Dorothy

Ah. We've been through the same decision dilemnas! We love all the possibilities and don't mind returning to ports we've visited previously.

The Jewel itinerary is port intensive, so the concern of "not as much to do onboard" may not matter as much. We were on the Serenade in February, also port intensive, and had no issue with not enough to do onboard.

We are going on Adventure next February and our deciding factor was that it is a Sunday cruise date. I was extremely nervous traveling in winter on the day of our Serenade cruise (poor planning on our part when booking airfare although everything turned out fine). Next year we'll fly on Saturday for the Sunday cruise and enjoy a day in San Juan.

Dorothy

Excellent point! Especially flying all the way to SJ, will def want to do the extra night. I thought of that, I wasn't bored on Jewel in 5 days, but I remember thinking I could be if it was a long cruise without many ports. This is so many! I think Jewel will be able to snug right into the main port and therefore we could wander in the AM and relax on the huge balcony in the afternoon. I also remember thinking that Jewel is so beautiful that I wanted to cruise her again someplace with lots of pretty ports and gosh St K, Dominica- they are all so pretty!

No thought needed - JEWEL!!!!! That's the only Radiance class ship that I haven't been on yet.

From an itinerary standpoint, Jewel wins for me. I've been to all the islands on both itineraries at least once (assuming you mean Tortola for BVI). I wasn't impressed with St. Kitts, which is on both itineraries. I love St. Maarten, Dominica, and Barbados. Aruba is okay but didn't enjoy Curacao that much. St. Thomas is always so crowded that we head to St. John. Virgin Gorda, accessible from Tortola, is a fabulous place to visit.

From a cabin standpoint, I don't like aft cabins on Adventure. The structure blocks too much view and annoys me. Is 7688 really a D2 cabin? It looks like the color of an E1 on the deck plan I looked at. I love the aft balconies on Radiance class ships. The balconies are bigger and you see nothing but ocean when you look outside.

From a ship standpoint, I prefer the Radiance class. There is enough to do to keep me from being bored, particularly on a port-intensive cruise. I didn't care for the promenade on Adventure.

From a food standpoint, it's still Jewel. I prefer Sea View on Jewel to Cafe Promenade on Adventure. Both have Portofino but Jewel has Chops vs. Johnny Rockets on Adventure.

I hear you Mom;)! This our annual "on our own" cruise and the last one we went on Oasis and my DH did love it, but felt he was sharing me with so many other things going on:p, so the idea of Jewel is sooo appealing! We are taking the kids on Allure, cause its the perfect ship for our teens! I was on Jewel in Feb with my mom and the kids and I know DH would love it. And I'd love to get another trip in before the "improvements"; I love that huge wrap around the stern WJ!

...for the reason above, I would go with the Jewel! :p;):D tee-hee!

But seriously, since the trip is just for the two of you, it would be fun to explore the ports since it sounds like you're interested in seeing two of them for the first time, and love the other three. The ship is beautiful, and with all the port days I doubt you'll miss the extras that are available on the other ships. Plus, there are two specialty restaurants on the Jewel (if you like to book those), so you can mix things up a bit and have two special dinners onboard if you would like to do that.

I've sailed the Adventure once and the Serenade (Radiance class) twice. Been on routes with 5 ports and one with 4. My ideal cruise in the Southern Caribbean would be a Radiance class ship with 5 ports.

We had 7690 on the same cruise in February 2012-not a bad cabin at all-the balcony is shaded for most of the time-and there is a lot of iron work but does not bother the view--I would do the room again-nice and quiet -good size-

No thought needed - JEWEL!!!!! That's the only Radiance class ship that I haven't been on yet.

From an itinerary standpoint, Jewel wins for me. I've been to all the islands on both itineraries at least once (assuming you mean Tortola for BVI). I wasn't impressed with St. Kitts, which is on both itineraries. I love St. Maarten, Dominica, and Barbados. Aruba is okay but didn't enjoy Curacao that much. St. Thomas is always so crowded that we head to St. John. Virgin Gorda, accessible from Tortola, is a fabulous place to visit.

From a cabin standpoint, I don't like aft cabins on Adventure. The structure blocks too much view and annoys me. Is 7688 really a D2 cabin? It looks like the color of an E1 on the deck plan I looked at. I love the aft balconies on Radiance class ships. The balconies are bigger and you see nothing but ocean when you look outside.

From a ship standpoint, I prefer the Radiance class. There is enough to do to keep me from being bored, particularly on a port-intensive cruise. I didn't care for the promenade on Adventure.

From a food standpoint, it's still Jewel. I prefer Sea View on Jewel to Cafe Promenade on Adventure. Both have Portofino but Jewel has Chops vs. Johnny Rockets on Adventure.

The Jewel itinerary is compelling..honestly it would be a no brainer if I could get that same itinerary in early Dec...since it alternates, I can only get late Dec or Late Nov; neither of which I can commit to not knowing my daughters academic schedule (then a college Freshman at an as yet unknown college). I do love those panoramic Radiance class aft's, wow! But I did also get over cooked at certain times (Im very whitish:p) I even loved just standing in the cabin, saying "wow!" at the view...I know Adventure won't have that feel! But we do like the Royal Promenade in the evenings and we have a rather embarrassing Ben and Jerry's habit that can be sustained on on Adventure.:o

...for the reason above, I would go with the Jewel!tee-hee!

But seriously, since the trip is just for the two of you, it would be fun to explore the ports since it sounds like you're interested in seeing two of them for the first time, and love the other three. The ship is beautiful, and with all the port days I doubt you'll miss the extras that are available on the other ships. Plus, there are two specialty restaurants on the Jewel (if you like to book those), so you can mix things up a bit and have two special dinners onboard if you would like to do that.

I've sailed the Adventure once and the Serenade (Radiance class) twice. Been on routes with 5 ports and one with 4. My ideal cruise in the Southern Caribbean would be a Radiance class ship with 5 ports.

I know I was so excited to see that Jewel itinerary...and when I called to deposit 8168 was available which I prefer, just to avoid the WJ noise, even as unlikely as it might be. We had the cabin next to this one in Feb, I love that we could see aft and port and no neighbor on the port side.

We had 7690 on the same cruise in February 2012-not a bad cabin at all-the balcony is shaded for most of the time-and there is a lot of iron work but does not bother the view--I would do the room again-nice and quiet -good size-

That supra structure while not as pretty, does provide some much needed shade for my whitey, white skin.

Just talked to DH, he said to go ahead and deposit both...we had a NC for one and as I told him "RCL is not paying much less interest than the savings bank right now" ;) So I will hold both bookings and continue to weigh which cruise to take (or maybe convince DH to do both??? ) Plus this hedges my bets for the inevitable charter-doesn't it always work that way when you book ahead:mad:

7688 is an E2 on Adventure. We have this cabin on our Bermuda cruise on the Explorer this October. Looking forward to trying out an aft on this class of ships.

This last Jan, we did Serenade, and had an aft (our first) 8168. It was really nice. We had 5 ports and 1 sea day, and really enjoyed the cruise. Plenty to do on the ship. We also love the seaview cafe. Love their onion rings, and the fish and chips. IMHO, I think the Jewel is the classiest ship RC has in their fleet. We have sailed her twice now!

7688 is an E2 on Adventure. We have this cabin on our Bermuda cruise on the Explorer this October. Looking forward to trying out an aft on this class of ships.

This last Jan, we did Serenade, and had an aft (our first) 8168. It was really nice. We had 5 ports and 1 sea day, and really enjoyed the cruise. Plenty to do on the ship. We also love the seaview cafe. Love their onion rings, and the fish and chips. IMHO, I think the Jewel is the classiest ship RC has in their fleet. We have sailed her twice now!

Yes, I goofed!! Adventure 7688 is listed as an E1 on my invoice, not a D! Sorry!

Deb, they may have bumped it up a level knowing that its popular. I noticed most of the deck plans now have notations of "from April/xxxx to March xxxx" now, so I'll bet the refigured things a bit, plus the ships where they out and out change the cabin numbers and relocated people (those poor folks!):eek:

When I called to deposit, I switched the Jewel booking from 1102 to 8168...I loved that nice quiet spot and it was open so...

We liked the Seaview too, and I still think thats the best Windjammer in the fleet, I could sit there all day, and most WJ's I want to run the other way;)

Oh, none of you are making this easier! JK...it's very helpful hearing your advice.

Woo hoo.....this post made me happy cuz I have 8168 booked on the Jewel for our 25th Anniversary cruise.

Haven't done this cabin on Jewel, but have on Brilliance (which, interestingly enough, is the only ship I have been on in Europe and my single most traveled RCI ship), but it is an awesome balcony. If your only motivation (or last consideration) is the balcony, this is a much better balcony than an equivalent on AoS (which, IMHO, becomes less desirable as you go down decks on Voyager class ships - though, any cabin on a cruise is better than no cabin on a cruise).

On the other hand, Adventure offers more than Jewel, and you might be more swayed by it's features than the balcony and/or itinerary (though the Jewel itinerary is a little nicer than Adventure's, both offer nice ports, and if you haven't been to any or most of them, you will enjoy either).

That supra structure while not as pretty, does provide some much needed shade for my whitey, white skin.

FWIW, should you do Jewel you might like 1102, as there is some overhang from above and provides a bit more shade. I will see about finding one of the photos I took when I was in it on Brilliance in 2007 (at least one without my DW, as she doesn't like her likeness passed all over the place).

I have had 7688 on the Adventure. On various Radiance Class ships, I have had 1100 (with DS next door in 1102), 9256 and 8168.

7688's balcony is fantastic. The cabin is an E1 and is smaller. I only went inside to sleep. The Sunday sail date is a plus. Aruba and Curacao are both wonderful islands to visit. DD and I are going back on the Adventure next spring, but we will be on the hump. Aruba is calling her back.

My favorite cruise out of San Juan was on the Serenade with a port intensive itinerary. When I have been in 1100, I have not been bothered by noise from the Windjammer. (I was bothered once when they threw water off the back of the Windjammer and it narrowly missed my head. That wasn't on the Jewel though.) The only two things I really enjoy on Voyager class ships are the Cafe Promenade and the ice shows. With an itinerary that it that port intensive, I don't think I'd miss the ice show. Grabbing a snack in the Promenade would be the only thing. The shopping always seems about the same to me. I like the indoor solarium on the Radiance class ships. It's also fun playing pool.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Personally though, I would pick the Jewel.

Haven't done this cabin on Jewel, but have on Brilliance (which, interestingly enough, is the only ship I have been on in Europe and my single most traveled RCI ship), but it is an awesome balcony. If your only motivation (or last consideration) is the balcony, this is a much better balcony than an equivalent on AoS (which, IMHO, becomes less desirable as you go down decks on Voyager class ships - though, any cabin on a cruise is better than no cabin on a cruise).

On the other hand, Adventure offers more than Jewel, and you might be more swayed by it's features than the balcony and/or itinerary (though the Jewel itinerary is a little nicer than Adventure's, both offer nice ports, and if you haven't been to any or most of them, you will enjoy either).

I think you are right, its seems to be the difference between having a hideaway (Adventure) and (Jewel) being right on top of the ocean ("I'm the king of the world!" on the other end;) I'm so conflicted...can I do both? I promise to write a full report!

We were in 7388 (same as 7688) on AOS a few years ago! Loved that balcony:

232323232%7Ffp53636%3Enu%3D3276%3E%3B62%3E575%3EWSNRCG%3D323932588%3A%3C25nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53634%3Enu%3D3276%3E%3B62%3E575%3EWSNRCG%3D323932588%3A%3C24nu0mrj

I also really like Curacao!

Thanks for the photos! Is that big development Curacao? Wow!

FWIW, should you do Jewel you might like 1102, as there is some overhang from above and provides a bit more shade. I will see about finding one of the photos I took when I was in it on Brilliance in 2007 (at least one without my DW, as she doesn't like her likeness passed all over the place).

Hmm, maybe I jumped too soon? I so liked deck 8 so I went for that corner.

We were in 7388 (same as 7688) on AOS a few years ago! Loved that balcony:

!

We had that cabin on Adventure!! Spent a lot of time on the balcony. My screensaver is a picture I took from the balcony, of the wake at sunset.

Woo hoo.....this post made me happy cuz I have 8168 booked on the Jewel for our 25th Anniversary cruise.

Hey Monica and Jay, Happy Anniversary!! What day..we are 25 years this Oct too! We were married on the 10th (and we never use our wedding date as a password hint, so no luck...hackers!). Are you renewing your "vowels" as my DH calls it?

Thanks for the photos! Is that big development Curacao? Wow!quote]

No, Lol. I dont know where that was. I guess it did look like I was saying that photo was Curacao. I was just showing the other half of the balcony in that shot.

Oh phew, for a minute I was thinking...maybe not Curacao!;) I know it's a little more built up, more casinos and what not, but I need to do some research to see that to do there. What did you like about it? What did you do?

Lol!

It's funny, I know but since I post so much info here, I figure it's best to be safe, plus lets face it 10/10 is a really lousy password;) Even though I post our trips, we always have a dog sitter (big guy!) who stays at the house, so Im not advertising an empty place. Besides, whats to steal, I spend all my money on travel ...LOL! It's so sad we have to think this way to stay a step ahead:(

Archived