Ports of Call (N220)

Wavebreakers

Just wondering if anyone could offer advice for two of our ports of call - Madeira and Oporto. We would like to visit the ports DIY style but would appreciate advice on best places to visit etc. Any help will be welcome - Thank you :)

We've done Madeira twice on our own and it's very easy to do. The ship berths within walking distance of the town, but there's also a shuttle which drops you off on the promenade. From the drop-off, turn right and a few hundred yards along, just off the promenade is a great market - fruit and veg, flowers, fish and crafts. From there, if you go on a bit more, you'll come to the cable car station. At the top there are lovely gardens and if you're feeling adventurous, you can come down on the toboggan. I didn't do it but my husband did and actually didn't find it very exciting ..... but I know others love it.

There's a square in the town centre where there's free wi-fi if you're looking for it and a good range of individual shops, which all had a sale when we were there!

We've also been twice to Read's for afternoon tea, which we booked online and requested a table on the terrace. This is so much better than the P&O excursion where they seem to be shunted into some side room. Reads is a few minutes walk above the town, at the opposite end of the esplanade to the cable car station.

It is a lovely town and you don't have to venture beyond it to have a very enjoyable day.

It is well worth seeing the interior of Madeira as it a stunning place.

A half day trip to Nun's Valley would give you enough time to wander around the main areas of Funchal as it can be done in a couple of hours.

Strawberry World are a well known provider of independent tours and will meet the ship.

The toboggans down from Monte only go halfway back to town and taxis from there to the town can be expensive. However, its nice to watch the toboggans from the inside of the beautiful gardens and then go back down to town on the cable car :)

There are some lovely little restaurants in the old town adjacent to the cable car station too.

In Funchal, we got on a hoho type bus and did a wonderful tour of Funchal. It took us up into the hills and along the coast to Caba de Lobos (I may have got that name wrong). Very good value and we still had time to go up in the cable car and we had a good walk round the town itself.

Wore us out that's for sure. Would love to go back there for a holiday.

In Funchal, we got on a hoho type bus and did a wonderful tour of Funchal. It took us up into the hills and along the coast to Caba de Lobos (I may have got that name wrong). Very good value and we still had time to go up in the cable car and we had a good walk round the town itself.

Wore us out that's for sure. Would love to go back there for a holiday.

Love the HOHO buses, sounds good to us, thanks for the advice did not realise they did a HOHO. :)

Archived