Boogey Boards/ Beginner Surfing for the day

msliu7911

Hi everyone,

My husband and I were hoping to be able to get some surf lessons or if anything just be able to rent boogey boards on a beach where the waves are friendly.

Do you have any recommendations on this? I've heard the east coast beaches might be best for this but wanted some fresh opinions.

Also, how would we go about renting a taxi cab at the pier to take us around and give us a tour for a few hours, stopping at beaches occasionally on the east coast?

All of the beaches close to the port are almost always totally flat and inappropriate for surfing. You will have to venture at least as far as Silver Sands or Silver Rock beach.

The only shop I used is Brian's deAction Shop at Silver Rock. It's the one with the remains of an old wooden boat in front of the shop.

http://www.briantalma.com/surfing.cfm

Getting a taxi is easy. Walk out of the “mall” area and tell the driver where you want to go and what you want to do, and start negotiating. Make sure you know whether you are bargaining in USD or Barbados dollars. ;-) You are basically going to be hiring him for the entire day to travel relatively long distances, so it's not going to be cheap. You might have better luck if you walk past all the taxi drivers near the mall area, go out the port entrance, and start negotiating with the taxi drivers hanging out just outside the port.

Dennis

Silver Sands/Silver Rock has no surfable surf.

It's little more than a lumpy beach break, if that.

You'll be going rather a long way for very little, sorry!

Try Accra/Rockley Beach instead. Closer too, to the Port. ;)

Most days there's reasonable surf for Boogey boards

and maybe even a few boards for rent on the beach somewhere.

Not sure if the rentals are still around.

If you want BIG surf for experienced surfers (and you better had be experienced!)

then Soup Bowl over at Bathsheba is for you, but that is dependent on conditions that day

Thank you for the info! I know for certain we will want to make our way to to Bottom Bay then visit a couple other east coast/south beaches. Any recommendations on what not to miss out on?

I hate to disagree with aplmac since he has infinitely more info about the various beaches than I do, but that isn't quite correct. Silver Rock may LOOK like it's nothing but beach break, but there is a nice LITTLE section right by Silver Rock which is often appropriate for beginner surf lessons, and it's not very crowded. I'm a terrible surfer, but I've managed to catch a wave or two there. There is also a much nicer area WAY out in the distance, but that would be a long paddle and it's overridden by my fellow kiteboarders and windsurfers if there is any wind.

IMHO I would NOT go to the Silver Rock/Silver Sands area if you are just trying to boogey board. There are better beaches for that.

That being said, there is no use arguing about locations since the “best” location varies from day to day. If you are really serious about surfing, contact one of the many shops and arrange for lessons in advance. If their usual beginner beach is inappropriate for whatever reason that day, it's almost guaranteed they have a backup beach they can take you to. The only reason I mentioned Silver Rock is that it's the location of the only surf shop I have personal experience with.

BTW, you will have a MUCH better chance of success, and have a better time if you take lessons rather than just rent a board and try to figure it out on your own.

All of the beaches close to the port are almost always totally flat and inappropriate for surfing. You will have to venture at least as far as Silver Sands or Silver Rock beach.

Sorry. After more research I'll admit I was wrong... A slightly more accurate statement would have been: "Most of the beaches close to port are inappropriate for surfing. The better beaches are a little farther out."

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Archived